ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kaz Hirai Says PSN Subscription A Possibility

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Sony is apparently considering a subscription fee for the PSN's upper tier services. The free PSN service would see exist, but it would now be secondary to PSN pay, similar to XB Live Silver and XB Live Gold. This is not entirely unexpected, as Sony has gone almost two years now with a reported loss in the Playstation division. Xbox Live is a huge moneymaker for MS, so it only stands to reason and makes smart business sense. The only thing is, Sony will have to kick up the level of service and quality of the PSN to get people to pay for it.

hopefully if that does happen it might end up half decent!

Octy VRS
Not knowing what XBL silver and gold differences are I can't comment. What would you most likely have to pay for? Playing online?

Mk2 Golf GTI
live silver lets you download demos and films etc. You need Gold to play online.

Think i paid £25 last time for a 13 month gold subscription. It's a really good service so i think it's worth it.

That will be a final nail in the coffin for the arguement about difference between PSN and XBL. Yes you pay your money for XBL but IMO you can see why you do when you spend a decent amount of time on both.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
That will be a final nail in the coffin for the arguement about difference between PSN and XBL. Yes you pay your money for XBL but IMO you can see why you do when you spend a decent amount of time on both.

agreed, I have both consoles and PSN may be free, but it's crap, XBL is way better and you can get 12 months for £27 which is peanuts

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'd assume we would see an improved PSN if it was a charged service.

I'd bloody hope so anyway.

Can someone (Who isn't a complete fanboy) please explain why PSN is so bad?

What happened with all the hype over that Home thing?

Evo 8 MR
Well said Revels, Home = FAIL imo. I go on it once every 3 months for about 5 minutes to check whats new.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Home isnt that great hardly go on it.. but the rest of PSN is fine.. not as polished as XBL though. The counter argument to that was its free but if that changes then I would expect a big improvement !

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
leave it as is i rekon, it's ok not great but then it's free. the move will basically mean for whatever reason you'll end up missing features unless you pay or something, typical sony mentality.

a burnt one
I don't see why PSN is so crap either, sure that home thing is pointless but i can still play online, have never had any connection issues.

I doubt i'll pay to play online, i'm already paying a subscription for internet i don't see why i should pay some 3rd party more money to use it, i've already payed for the console and the game.

If it comes to paying to play games online i'll sell up and grow up, maybe my missus is right, i'm too old to still be up all night playing games shouting at teenage kids who are better than me.

Or maybe i'm way off the mark and free online gaming is just a fantasy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
PSN is free.

That was literally the only advantage of it. Now they're taking that away, it had better improve by the time I have to buy one of the machines for GT5. I had a PS3 last year and it truly was shocking.

Compared to XBL, it's laughable... even before you take into account the subscription fee.

Can someone (Who isn't a complete fanboy) please explain why PSN is so bad?

What happened with all the hype over that Home thing?

Well ignore the below for starters!

PSN is free.

That was literally the only advantage of it. Now they're taking that away, it had better improve by the time I have to buy one of the machines for GT5. I had a PS3 last year and it truly was shocking.

Compared to XBL, it's laughable... even before you take into account the subscription fee.

I think KDF sums it up nicely, its not as polished as Xboxlive at the moment, however it has had numerous updates which have brought it much closer than what it was at launch. The PSN is still lacking the friends invite and cross speach functionality that xbox live has, although this is rumoured to be patched in a future update.

On the plus side it does offer lag free first party server support for up to 60 players on some games rather than the P2P that xbox live has.

Ultimatly I don't think the PSN will ever quite match up to xbox live this generation but it does get closer with every update!

421 Cammed 172
I've had both.

Didn't use the PS3 much, infact only about 3 hours. But what i did notice is that it's certainly lacking some online features that would finish it off.

With the 360 you can see what game someones playing (Like PSN) but with XBL you can see what game mode they're playing, and if there's space in the game you can jump in with the push of 1 button.

There's private party chat available.

Another thing i noticed with COD4 on PSN, unless the people were online, i couldn't see their entries on the leader boards.

There's some other stuff PSN lack's but i can't remember them now as it's been a couple of months since i had the PS3.

Bus w**ker
PSN is a f**king pain in the arse. It's clumsy to use, has no real point and has taken them since release to get friend invites working...and only some of the time. Sony is an always will be at a loss to XBL as they don't seem to be able to grasp that people want to be able to use their console online easily without a s**t load of f**king about.

Sony seem to just want to waste money on pretty features that 12 year old girls will like but not on what the real gamer wants.

M$ do have a few years practise over Sony with online, I'd happily pay a reasonable amount for a fully functional and working PSN that at least has a decent system revolving around online multiplay with people from your friends list. Maybe if it's a subscription they may actually pay attention to what people are screaming out for one every forum.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer

I agree.

Although the FINAL nail will be when microsoft bite the bullet and get bluray players put into 360's.

Which will happen.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Bingo.

I'm not saying it's totally sh*te. It's just no way near as polished as XBL. No private chat/invites is a f*cking joke. I couldn't use one online, after being so used to XBL.

And that's when it's up and running. A few of my mates have Modern Warfare on PS3 and say it's not a patch on XBL online, in fact, it was down on launch night, right?

If Sony start charging people, maybe their money will filter down to a better service, overall. Maybe.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
it'll happen eventually, Microsoft are still bitter they backed the wrong horse (Toshiba HDD) but they have the money to pay for the rights etc to get it in.

Bus w**ker
And Sony will laugh all the way to the bank...what with them owning a massive share in Bluray patents an' all. ;)

Although personally I don't see it happening, possibly a third party add on for the 360 but M$ surely will be developing the next model and not waste time or a massive amount of money redeveloping a four/five year old console with already dated hardware.

Everything above said I f**king <3 my PS3, I'd own a 360 if I could justify spending £200 just for Forza 3. Other than that there's no other games that interest me TBH.

A few of my mates have Modern Warfare on PS3 and say it's not a patch on XBL online, in fact, it was down on launch night, right?

Possibly yeah but I wouldn't know as I had it on the 360!

Just as well MW1 or Halo3 didn't crash Live can you imagine the uproar! I mean come on;)

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
ms will never ever ever make a blu ray player for the 360... i'd bet my house on the fact.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
PSN is a f**king pain in the arse. It's clumsy to use, has no real point and has taken them since release to get friend invites working...and only some of the time. Sony is an always will be at a loss to XBL as they don't seem to be able to grasp that people want to be able to use their console online easily without a s**t load of f**king about.

Sony seem to just want to waste money on pretty features that 12 year old girls will like but not on what the real gamer wants.

M$ do have a few years practise over Sony with online, I'd happily pay a reasonable amount for a fully functional and working PSN that at least has a decent system revolving around online multiplay with people from your friends list. Maybe if it's a subscription they may actually pay attention to what people are screaming out for one every forum.

Eh what you on about...

Since ps3 came out i had the 60gb version i only knew a handfull of people who had them so playin online was allright just not fantastic so i sold up.

Now i got it again i enjoy it as much, play against a few lads on here some for ages now and we get a laugh, inviting people is piss easy,

when mw2 came out the servers went mad for the amount of online players there was so it took them a day to sort it out and its been fine since, it also depends on peoples connection aswell.

As for psn beeing s**t then take away home, and ask yourself isit still s**t? Because you cant nessecary say it is because it does everything you wan its also stylish and not Cheap lookin as the xbl, i payed 1month to see if i would like live and after 2days i hated it, because it looks childish and belongs to kids!!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Eh what you on about...

Since ps3 came out i had the 60gb version i only knew a handfull of people who had them so playin online was allright just not fantastic so i sold up.

Now i got it again i enjoy it as much, play against a few lads on here some for ages now and we get a laugh, inviting people is piss easy,

when mw2 came out the servers went mad for the amount of online players there was so it took them a day to sort it out and its been fine since, it also depends on peoples connection aswell.

As for psn beeing s**t then take away home, and ask yourself isit still s**t? Because you cant nessecary say it is because it does everything you wan its also stylish and not Cheap lookin as the xbl, i payed 1month to see if i would like live and after 2days i hated it, because it looks childish and belongs to kids!!

come on, you cant possibly believe psn is better than xbl in any way shape or form?!?!?!?! i have had both for years and xbl is leaps and bounds ahead.... after years you still cant even cross game chat on psn..

Bus w**ker
Eh what you on about...

I got my PS3 from NYC in February 07, trust me I've seen most of the stages of evolution PSN has gone through...so I'd say I'm experienced enough to give an opinion.

Don't get me wrong it's nowhere near as s**t as it was at early on but it's still s**t. Invites for games are clumsy and rarely work, i.e. MW2 (took them till 1.04 to resolve the problems btw not a day ;)) relies upon the Sony presence servers which have a substantial delay between refreshes. It's rare that my friends don't get the stupid error message about the session no longer being valid even though I'm sat in a party lobby on my own waiting for them and leaves them unable to accept the invite (although joining in session seems to be working a lot better now). If you think I'm the only one unhappy with PSN then go jump on the PS forum or blogs lol. Like I said if a subscription PSN was introduced I'd pay for it as long as they actually introduced things customers want, i.e. cross game chat and simple working invites.

Home, a fantastic point. Why did and do they still bother? Don't get me wrong the concept is great but after a two year delay on release and the costs involved it's a waste of time and money. Most of my friends have never used it, I've only been on as I for some unknown reason got a beta code for it. I've not even been on it since the Redbull island got added and it was still w**k then. The time and money spent on Home could of been throw at making PSN user friendly and stable, but sadly it wasn't.

And I can't compare PSN to XBL from a personal point of view as I've never actually used it, just seen it in action when I've been round at friends and it is, as said above, a hell of a lot better and more polished than PSN...and probably always will be.

I love my PS3, I'm just not overly keen on PSN or the way Sony ignores consistent and prolonged customer requests and complaints.

Home does still make me chuckle, it was touted as being epic and something that would set PSN head and shoulders above XBL by all the sony fanboys. I've used it about 3 times and was unimpressed. Very little to do, long loading times between areas and basically you wander round seeing a bunch of virgins all crowded round any female avatar that may be foolish enough to enter home. w**k!

Home is s**t, as for MW2 on PSN I believe they had so many more people wanting to play than expected, more than xbox live! But yep Fail either way.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I've only used psn.

The ps3 was my first online gming exp ever!

For me, I have found it good. I can play games with my mates etc. I don't care about cross border game chattng or whatever it is...

Maybe if I bought an xbox I would be blown away by xbl... But then I should be... I mean I could have spent a lot of money on subscriptions to xbl so would expect it to be perfect.

Can you mute other players in the lobby of mw2 yet on xbl? I heard u can't u have to wait to in game? Some ps3 fanboi is strumming his little penis to that fact . How tragic...

a burnt one
Why would you want x-game chat?? I don't get how that can be of any advantage to whatever game I'm playing. I only play games to get away from the real world for a while, I don't want my mate talking to me while I'm playing COD and he's on FIFA. It's a bit geeky and childish for me.

Essentialy, both allow games to be played online, the xbox is all singing all dancing and probably great if you have no real life outside of games and the only people you speak to live in cyberworld.

The playstation is tesco no frills, exactly what I'm after, pick it up and I'm online, I don't use the playstation store or 'home' so whether it's great or pisch is irrelevant to me. I have a good secure Internet connection and have never had any connection issues.

I don't want to see what game my online 'friends' are playing why do I give a fcuk? I've picked up COD or FIFA to relax for an hour.

Throwing childish insults to make a point doesn't really do any favours to your cause tbh.

Whether you use a feature or not really is besides the point. If you're trying to set up a lobby on a certain game then friends already in a lobby being visible is useful. As is the party system as you can round them up while they're finishing another game. Further to that they may already be in a lobby on the game you're wanting to play and the ease of joining it makes it alot better in use. More functionality is always better.

That's before even mentioning other areas where XBL is better. Also for the record most of the people on my friends list are actual mates of mine that I catch up with in person and not some faceless efriend only conversed with online.

Most people in our generation have a games console of one variety or another and playing against mates online is an easy way of catching up with them. Someone having a few rounds of Forza or COD against mates is a farcry from some ubergeeks at a lanparty or someone who spends 15 hours a day on WOW never leaving their room for longer than it takes to have a piss/s**t or grab a sandwich.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'll go with that, i have a few mates from work on psn who when we get in our ''party'' for mw2/cod4 we always have a good old natter etc. catch up etc.

i would say my BIGGEST gripe is the PSN store. it is so unfriendly to browse and I can NEVER find anything I want. for example, i can't work out how you can jsut browse say demos, or the independent games released on psn etc. such a pain, hecne why I never go on it.

I think a thread like this will always have throw away comments from both psn/xbl fans. never going ot change that.

All I can go on is the fact PSN is the only online service I have used within the console domain. With that it does exactly what I want. so i cannot complain. the bonus is it is free.

maybe one day i'll buy an xbox and will be blown away with xbl, but without ever exepriencing it, i don't know what i am missing so i don't really mind at the end of the day.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
to add to that, the main reason i bought a ps3 was due to more of my mates having them, so gives me more LOLZ over unknowns on xbl for me.

57 Clio Campus Sport
I hope they do this as it will make it way better, Xbox live is £26.50/yr, 7p a day, and it's a stupid amount better than crappy psn (especially since home turned out crap), if they made psn as good as xbox live I would probably pay 5p a day, anything above that would still be a rip because it's never going to be as good as xbox live anyway. Mwahahahaha