ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

Mercedes C220 CDI
This is truely amazing, it has kept me amused all afternoon.

I am looking to get my 1st clio and have been scouting around for ideas / inspiration and this looks unbelievable but way out of my competancy. haha.

Keep going, I cant wait to see the finished product.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
some very nice fabrication and thought there... i like that..

Cheers, having seen some of the fabrication you've done, that means a lot :eek:

Spent the best part of the day getting the car ready to paint, in the end it took the best part of 6 hours to clean and then mask it all up.

Ready to go

IMGP4883.jpg

My mate showed up around 5 and set to work, both compressors where running flat out but they just about coped, he's got a puka airfed mask but it uses a sh*t load of air.
They were both getting a bit hot towards the end and some water got past the trap/filters but there's only 3 or 4 wee bits at the back that can be flatted back and polished up later.
The colour was supposed to be mixed up to match the original 369 code that the shell had been painted in the factory but it's nothing like it! Got enough to do the whole car so no big deal, it looks quite grey compared to what was on the shell, will need to get it out in the day light to decide if we like it, but dont really want to be painting it again!

IMGP4888.jpg

IMGP4889.jpg

IMGP4891.jpg

IMGP4895.jpg

IMGP4897.jpg

IMGP4898.jpg

Cup In bits
Looking good, I was under the impression the shell was just primed ready to paint!

Is it alright to weld tabs to the cage bars like you have for mounting the dash, no issues with MSA etc??

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Dont see why not, there's nothing in the book I could see that says or implies otherwise.

I was surprised when it arrived in paint, bit peeve'd the colour we've got is so far off, I'd grown used to whats on the car and was wanting to keep it, as said, whats on the cage is a bit grey looking but I think thats more so what Renault Glacier white is supposed to be so not sure whats going on. Will phone the paint shop today and ask a few questions.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, yeah it's getting there, just seems to take forever but I'm hoping once it gets painted that will be a bit of a milestone and help get things moving a bit quicker.

yeah know how you mean mate, but best to take time and get it right at this stage, know your feelings though, mine has seen absolutely no progress at all in what must be about 3-4 months now....

bit peeve'd the colour we've got is so far off,

it may look different and not that noticable when you have windows / rubbers in etc, probably seperate the colours a little, either way the interior still looks great

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers guys

Now that it's dried we've been able to get in for a proper look there are a few bits on the cage that are a bit shy and could do with being touched in but there was so much overspray/mist toward the end he could hardly see! so he's going to bring up his spot in gun to do some wee sections but over all he's done a great job considering it's been done in a shed! there's very little dust in it, pretty sure most of it will polish out.

A rough summary of what needs to be done before assembly can begin:
  • Touch in various bits on the cage.
  • Paint the underside and rear inner wheel arches.
  • Finalise the strut towers ie just bite the bullet and weld the new top plates on!
  • Make new engine & gearbox mounts ;)
  • Tub front inner wheel arches
  • Paint the engine bay and the outside of the shell, panels etc.
Start bolting things on.

You planning on making a rollover for spraying the underside or just get underneath it?

Will be interesting to see what you do with the engine and GB mounts :)

Can't wait to see this finished! Did the shell come with seam sealer or is it all clear?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Just going to get suited up and crawl under it! It's reasonably high off the ground, should be easy enough to get a decent coat on it, not looking to have it show car standard, just white will do.

It's got seam sealer and stone guard, I had thought about removing it all but it's a horrible time consuming job, granted there's prob a few kgs to be saved but then you would need to paint it all properly to stop it rusting. I live on the west coast of Scotland, things rust like fook!

There's a few reasons for the custom engine and box mounts:

I need to lose the main one on the inner wing to tub the front arches.
I'm fitting a cam phase sensor to allow the engine to run in 720 sync, not having an engine mount over the cam pulleys will make that a whole lot easier.
The parts for the new mounts cost about £35 vs the cost of uprated standard fit ones. (granted my fabrication time not included in that)
I wont have to worry about any of the the standard alloy parts snapping.

Yes that should be okay I just thought if it was bare and needed full seal and paint underneath that would be a pain crawling around lol!

Yes that is very true indeed ;)

Excuse my ignorance but what does tub the arches mean? Cut them out to enlarge i'm guessing? Sounds really good to me, you should start selling your custom bit's I'd certainly buy them ;)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah, you got it, basically cut away the original inner arch and remake it higher up, I looked at unstitching them stretching them up but there's not enough scope to do that, so I'll need to chop them.

Long term I might consider making a few things if there's enough interest, would like to make a tubular front subframe at some point but the modified standard one will do for now.

Ahh sounds very good :) I was looking earlier at how I can get more clearance for caster and my 205's but i'm struggling with what I have :(

It's stuff like the top mount system you have would save me having to design it and get someone to make it when you already have it in place would be good for me :) It's on my list for winter this year so if you fancy selling me what I need then let me know :)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
New engine and gearbox mounts underway, picked up a bust gearbox to let me bolt the old engine in, proper box is still being built.

Started off with the front lower gearbox mount,

I had the spacers turned up by a local machine shop, never used the guy before but he only charged me £10 to knock up 12 of them which was pretty reasonable.

First bits in progress, 3/4" 10awg seemless tube and some 40mm i.d seemless tube to hold the bushes, which are Mk1 front wishbone bushes, bought for much cheapness on ebay ;)

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

I welded up the wee gap you can see in the above picture incase any of you were wondering ;)

Once that was done I then made up the bracket for the subframe

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

I know the cup cars used to crack subframes but then they had the engine and box mounted directly onto it, I'm still going to have two mounts onto the chassis legs too so hopefully the subframe won't complain too much. Will look at the dogbone mount next, might leave it be or I might make something similar to the cup racers.

Cup In bits
Top job. Iv heard of the subframes cracking aswell, was that at all the engine mount points? I thought it would have been the wishbone pick ups

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers, didn't take too long to do either, well by my standards any way lol about 4-5 hrs.
If I remember right they used to crack at the front right corner, just back from where it bolts to the chassis leg.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers lads, hopefully get on with the next one today.If you have look back in the thread there's pics of the wheel well being made.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers ;)

Didn't get much done today, had a few other things to do that took longer than expected but I made a start on the new dogbone mount

IMG_0028.jpg

Still got to add another couple of tubes to it

IMG_0030.jpg

It was very nice of Renault to make the width of the dogbone mount the same as the wishbone mountings, just had to open out the bolt hole from 10 to 12mm, made life a lot easier.

Last edited:
  Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Managed a little more progress today but ran out of gas once I got started on the top gearbox mount, will go change the bottle first thing tomorrow

Added another tube to the lower mount, think this will probably suffice but i'll wait until all the other mounts are done before deciding if it needs something extra adding to it.

IMG_0034.jpg

Started on the upper gearbox mount

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Still using the wishbone bushes for those, probably use two of them for the gearbox side not sure about engine, depends how much room there is, having had a quick look I suspect not a lot! but i'll get round to that.

Just getting some breaky then time to head out and get some more argon :)

My mate said he's going to pop up on Friday after work to spot in a few wee sections on the cage that we missed so i'll need to get things ready for that too.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Some more progress on the upper gearbox mounting, decided one bush was enough

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Still need to make a bracket on the chassis leg but as you can also see the front section of the inner wing has ben removed ;) will need to rebuild that before I can weld the bracket to the chassis leg, or at least thats the plan, help tie everything together.

As a bonus, the new mounting is just under half the weight of the ally bracket which I was quite surprised about given how hefty the tube is.

Mocked up a few things for the last mount on the engine side, will need to make up a new bit for the alternator bracket but thats easy enough, the position of the mounting looks pretty good though which is the main thing, wasn't sure where abouts it would end up but looks like it'll clear the aux belt no probs and I can pick up on sufficient points on the block for it to be strong enough, more on that one tomorrow hopefully.

sk84life

ClioSport Club Member
  2000 Clio 172
Some very tidy fabrication work going on here, whats the reason for making all custom engine mounts?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Few reasons,
The uprated mounts were about £240 last time I looked.
It's not unheard of for the standard alloy parts to snap once you fit harder mounts, especially when the car is used for competition ie taking kerbs.
I'm modifying the inner wings for more clearance so the standard engine mount needs to go.

So far these have cost me £25 for the bushes and about £30 for the tube and other materials, even factoring in a bit of gas for welding it's still cheaper than buying updated bits for the standard mounts.

Clio 172
Kenny I have to be honest, if you gave me the tubes, welding know how and a diagram I still wouldn't know where to start or what to change. The level of detail on this is amazing, I'm staggered every time I look in here and some of the bits your undertaking must be up there with a race teams fab work. Again hats off to you.

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
So much attention to detail. I thought i had done a good job on my build but this is a whole new level. loving the project mate keep it up!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers for the comments guys

Yeah that's the plan for the arches, got a steel trailer mudguard as a starting point ;) will update on that once I get going with it.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Lol, except these are going on the inside, and not for " helping" folk out the way

On with the last and probably most important mounting, proved to be quite a tricky wee sod this.
First off I offered up the alternator using the standard alloy mounting brackets, then locked it solid using a bolt through the adjuster slot, confirmed that it hadnt moved by removing and re-fitting the ally bracket, each time it lined up and the long bolt went through no probs.

Once I was happy it wasnt going to move I made up the first bit

IMG_0064.jpg

With the alternator at the top of the adjuster slot it just clears the belt, realistically it's never going to be there so should be plenty clearance.

IMG_0069.jpg

Added the top tube and a vertical one between them,

IMG_0073.jpg

Then picked up the on the 3rd mounting point

IMG_0076.jpg

I'm also going to take a support off this M8 hole in the end of the block, currently only used as part of the timing belt cover but the cover can live without it.
I've asked the machine shop to knock up an M8 spacer, will pick that up tomorrow.

IMG_0080a.jpg

Made a start on the bit to hold the alternator, tacked on and all lines up, will add another tube in the opposite direction, recon that should do it

IMG_0087.jpg

Still to make the brackets onto the chassis but i'll need to pull the engine out to clean up the area first.