ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lack of abs on 172 cup

The CUP brakes are excellent. I had abs on my 106gti and the brakes had no feel whatsoever. The CUP feels so much better. Probably the best brakes Ive had on a car. Ive only locked them once. Most people will never use abs properly anyway. Something happens in front of them and they just stand on the brakes and hope to stop. How many people remember they can steer aswell?

If you want a CUP with Climate then PM me.

172 cup

I can see ive opened up a can of worms here! To be honest my 306 has ABS and the only time ive ever thought i needed it is when the roads have snow/ice on them. Im not here to start another 172 v cup debate (ive noticed thats a touchy subject on this site. lol), i just dont want to buy a cup to have my wheels lock a crash at the first junction i try and stop at, but judging by the responses im getting its all down to how sensible a driver u are.

As for buying a 172 instead for the toys like air con, abs, fancy interior etc, if i wanted a comfy car for cruising about in i probably would be looking at buying a clio. No offence!

Second hand 172 wins on pure value for money. More choice of colours also. What do you want from the car should decide. Cups not an ideal everyday driver if you like comfort but bloody good fun.

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

An extra thought here. If you have concerns about non abs, why not see if you can find a local skidpan that does courses in controlling skids and slides?I went on one with the IAM couple years back and it was very helpful, although it is always easier in a controlled environment than reality!!

I have a Cup and even when really trying to lock up they are very resistant. Also, in snow (NOT ice) ABS is generally useless - it is better for the wheels to lock as it will then build up a wall of snow in front of the wheels and aid stopping.

ABS does not neccesarily reduce stopping distances, it just allows more control under heavy braking.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Never had any real problems without ABS on my Cup...

Better on the track without it!

almaghrbi

ClioSport Trader
  172 Cup

Not having ABS is not a big deal. You need to have good brake sensing. To do this you need to brake correctly and have the feel of the brakes and the car behavior. It is that simple!

To sense the brakes you need to use the most sensitive part of your feet (the palm area only which is the area under the bigest toe) not your whole feet. As a bonus, that is what all racer drivers do, and that is how you can do heel & toe....

133/225/CLS AMG

The only thing I found out when I was looking to buy a 172 or 172 Cup was the insurers.

They all asked if it was a Cup as they knew it didnt have ABS. Dont know how much difference it would have made but worth checking that as well. :D

Went for a 172 in the end but thought Id mention it as a consideration.

Guess it depends where you do most of your driving too, i hardly ever drive in heavy traffic which means im breaking when i want to rather than having to react to someone elses. I always do heel/toe braking which unsettles the car a lot less, but again thats not trying to panic react to someones tail lights. Never had a problem not having abs but even when ive had cars with it ive never had it kick in, just drive sensibly and leave a decent gap. I wouldnt drive a car any differently if it had abs, unlike some people i know seem to us it as part of there "normal" braking. I find the feel through the brakes is very good and you can feel when its about to lock up. I bought mine because i liked the colour, but i have no regrets as a few friends have 172s and i do prefer the cup
Just get one, you wont regret it

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Dan_mk1 on 23 January 2005

Lead footed cup driver = Crashed cup.
Why does everyone seem to think having electronic aids like ABS & ESP make you invincible!?

They are as their name suggests "aids" and not miracle workers... :confused:

172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by AlexJMills on 23 January 2005

The only thing I found out when I was looking to buy a 172 or 172 Cup was the insurers.

They all asked if it was a Cup as they knew it didnt have ABS. Dont know how much difference it would have made but worth checking that as well. :D

Went for a 172 in the end but thought Id mention it as a consideration.

Ive been quoted £670 for a 172 cup with my bird on it. Havent tried a quote for a 172.

This thread has given me food for thought, and its defo gonna be a cup i go for.

Scirocco GT 210

I love the way people think the cup is soooo much faster, its only 15kgs lighter than a mk1 172. A cup driver who enjoys the occasional pie or two will make that difference up ;) And you get all the toys with the regular 172.

Saying that, the lack of ABS on the cup doesnt mean you are going to crash every time you take the car out. If my 172 didnt have ABS I wouldnt have crashed it yet, never had ABS kick in, although it is nice knowing its there....

Daves Final Thoughts

Countless laps of the ring in the wet and I have yet to crash the Clio Cup.

It has only really been recently (in the past few years) that ABS has been standard on most cars.

Its a nice to have - but I would not consider a car purshase based up on just that.

Every time a new safety aid comes out, every one seems to think the predesessor (sp) was a death trap.

No ABS - you are going to crash and die

No AWD - you will crash and die (look at scoobynet for this)

Powerful RWD - you will crash and die

....soon we will see:

No parking sensors - you will reverse in to something

No active yaw/traction control/stability management - you know the answer ;)

There is no right or wrong answer to this..............

Dave

Quote: Originally posted by POW_Clio on 23 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Tim010 on 23 January 2005

AFAIK a 172 Cup can not be imported as they were badged as "Ragnottis" over in Europe so they all come as UK spec and are not imports.

Tim
yeh thats right - the UK version is the Cup
I had an imported 172 CUP from holland, and it had an alarm.

It was a great car. the lack of ABS is not to much of a problem. you learn the limits of the breaks and ajust your driving accordingly. I found it added to the rawness of the car which I liked.

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Quote: Originally posted by Steve2004 on 25 January 2005

I love the way people think the cup is soooo much faster, its only 15kgs lighter than a mk1 172. A cup driver who enjoys the occasional pie or two will make that difference up And you get all the toys with the regular 172.

Saying that, the lack of ABS on the cup doesnt mean you are going to crash every time you take the car out. If my 172 didnt have ABS I wouldnt have crashed it yet, never had ABS kick in, although it is nice knowing its there....

I thought it was more like 80kg...??

Frankly, anyone who absolutely NEEDS ABS, isnt a good (read sensible) enough driver to be be rolling around in a fast car. The End.

I personally find the ABS cuts in far too early what would be nice is to have an adjustment pot so you can go from std to race settings.

tiTTy & SV650

Ive only ever noticed ABS when Ive put my brakes on on snow to see if the ABS actually works, paranoid...

So I wouldnt worry too much but if you drive fast then its nice to know its there, you never know when a deers gonna jump out in front of you...

Black Gold 182

I owned a Cup and never found the lack of ABS to be of any real great worry. As mentioned quite a few times already, drive like a tit and you may lock up and cause yourself all sorts of problems.

I think its important to remember overall that Clios (certainly the modern ones) are very safe indeed - its not just about ABS being there or not. As it was, my Cup saved my life when I was involved in a very unpleasant accident just over a year so I think Im probably in quite a good position to comment on their overall safety.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Quote: Originally posted by lozza_cup on 23 January 2005

just jesting mate, have to agree though ABS is a neccesaty(cant spell) in this country, if you drive hard in the wet well you wont be able to stop thats for sure,
who drives hard in the rain though, thats just stupid in the first place, no driver aid will save you then, you will have more risk of aquaplaning than locking up in these conditions, its the drivers fault if the car locks up, NOT the cars!

ps im a real man as i have a cup ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Steve2004 on 25 January 2005

I love the way people think the cup is soooo much faster, its only 15kgs lighter than a mk1 172.
Try that in terms of lap times though... ;)