ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Latest project nearly finished

Nike Lunar Elite's

Cheers folks. Ive gotta week off so I want to get as much done as possible. The volume of the box is pretty difficult to figure out when its an odd shape. I had to split different sections up to get an idea of the volume. Worked it out to be around 1.8ft^3. The sub needs 1-2.5ft^3.

Dan, the car is going into the bodyshop tomorrow for a couple of days. Got a 172 rear spoiler and bumper, the renault front splitter, plus everything is gonna be colour coded. Sadly its still riding like a 4x4, gotta wait till Ive finished paying for my holiday 1st :cry:

E87 118i

fill er up with water - count how many litres....then cnvert to cube feet if necessary.

silver valver/hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by rock on 23 May 2005

fill er up with water - count how many litres....then cnvert to cube feet if necessary.
i was thinkin that, but water dont go too well with MDF

Im planning a project very similar too this in the near future. Im pretty good with fibreglass but not so keyyed up on audio. If you mount a sub upside down like you have, is the required box volume the same? Is there any diferance in sound depending on which way up you mount the sub?
thanks, and sorry for the brief topic hijack

your build looks great so far by the way

Nike Lunar Elite's

If you reverse mount like I have then you need to reverse the +ve and -ve so that the sub moves in the same direction as the other speakers. Apparently, the quality should be better when mounted with the magnet inside the box, but when I reverse mounted it I couldnt tell any difference. AFAIK the dimensions given by manufacturers take into account the size of the magnet, so by reverse mounting you can afford to have a slightly smaller box. Im sure someone will confirm if Im right or not.

Nike Lunar Elite's

Its got no front or rear bumper, bump strips, rear spoiler, door mirror covers, front grill or boot lock. Had to strip them all down to take to the bodyshop. The inside is mostly stripped too atm. Should be back in 1 piece Wednesday.

Thanks a lot for your reply hydeyho... one final thing
If you are going to mount a sub upside down do you need a free air sub? or will any sub work as it is still technicaly in a box.

Ok, so that wasnt the final thing (sorry)... does the shape of the box matter too? I notice that yours is quite flat and most of it is almost around the corner from the sub. surely the air would not be able to circulate as well in a box shaped like that?

silver valver/hybrid

shape of the box makes no difference, as long as the internal volume is correct, and no dosent have to be a free air sub, as it is still using the box.

Nike Lunar Elite's

Yea the main thing to focus on is getting the volume of the box right, the shape of the boxes will only really make a difference in really high end installs. Im in the process of getting some kick pods sorted for my components too, will get some progress pics of those up tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers for all the comments guys :)

you could use integration to work out the internal volume precisely, but its hard if you dont know how, easiest way would be to fill it up with water

cliopete: how could integration be used on a totaly abstract shapped box?

I am fine with integration and areas but on a totaly abstract shape?

Polo + Micra

yeah you need to away dth subdisplacement away from the box size, it is usually given in litres

18litres = 1cu.ft

how much power you giving that sub???

silver valver/hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by cliopete on 23 May 2005

you could use integration to work out the internal volume precisely, but its hard if you dont know how, easiest way would be to fill it up with water
spose one way of doing it is to get a large, thick plastic bag, push it inside the box, fill that with water, so u dont soak the mdf, then carefully tip it out into a measuring jug.

Nike Lunar Elite's

Dink - Ive got 300w rms going to the sub

Just got back from the bodyshop, everything was ready a day early :D Will give it a wash and get some pics up tomorrow