ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 with 225 engine/box/ecu

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
Plans are to fit the full megane 225 engine/6 speed box ECU loom clocks basically everything from a megane 225 to keep the costs down of aftermarket management/mapping etc. at the same time hard mount the seat, re do ABS using megane/Peugeot mastercylinder parts for the hydrolic clutch. electric power steering. Full custom loom for everything bar the engine, indicator lights etc. custom pedal setting retaining clio brakes and megane clutch/accelerator

I'v already had an old thread on here for the car but it way out of date and lost most of the pics in the thread. Here is the old one:

http://www.cliosport.net/posts/10546188/

Onwards and upward, basically I came across a full megane 225 car with minimal damage I had never intended on doing the conversion but the car was to cheap to turn away so enter the megane 225 with slight suspension damage and no key!

View attachment IMG_1596_zps46cb954e.jpg

View attachment IMG_1595_zps1f23facc.jpg

We stripped everything off the car, and either kept it for the conversion or sold it to fund the project.

Off it goes to the scrap yard as a shell

View attachment IMG_1777_zps384c54ff.jpg

The car in question for the conversion this was September 2014 the very same day we removed the engine and box ready to start the conversion

View attachment 10551652_10154775381495201_1562121194818441729_o_zpsiiesx3rq.jpg

I wish I took more pictures along the way but you just forget!

first thing was to fit the seat so so we could mount the steering wheel/pedal where we wanted them. Our resident welder ste has fabricated all this in our unit with a super £150 welder!

View attachment IMG_2019_zpsuoqtqsyf.jpg

View attachment IMG_2020_zpsfxn8kvrw.jpg

View attachment IMG_2023_zpsb1877337.jpg

you can see the electric steering, custom pedals and the megane shifter mounted on top of the tunnel instead to bring it closer to the steering wheel.

View attachment IMG_2022_zps23f26d89.jpg

Next was to actually fit the engine and gearbox to see if it actually fits. in short no it doesn't but its not by much, it requires the passenger side chasis leg to be cut and notched to allow clearance for the gearbox. a bit of hammering to the subframe also so nothing fouled. We had to make up 2 engine mounts to go along side 2 of the standard mounts. few quick pics of these.

rear dog bone mount

View attachment IMG_1942_zps552fa820.jpg

Next step wiring! the plan was to get the engine running on the floor to see if we could bypass the meagane system. after a bit of head scratching we managed this so far so good. did have a vid of this somewhere but will have to dig it out. Next step was to remove all the megane wires that aren't needed. This was by far the worse part as one c**k up here we would never be able to retrace. But again it was managed with a bit of head scratching we managed to remove pretty much 80% of the megane loom with the engine still running.

View attachment IMG_1798_zps35d56e5b.jpg

View attachment IMG_1033_zpsrvvwrxwp.jpg

View attachment IMG_1796_zps39cd06d6.jpg

left over loom

View attachment IMG_1049_zpsv3i5o2lf.jpg

at this point the engine was fully in and mounted level. we started to add the megane ecu and loom and plumb in the boost/water system

View attachment IMG_1291_zpsx0yq3xwm.jpg

trial fitting the megane 225 intercooler and all plumbed in and wired.

View attachment IMG_1306_zpsglbgu201.jpg

The turbo at this point was found to have allot of play so was sent away to have a brand new core

View attachment IMG_1404_zps940vp71c.jpg

it was after this with the loom ecu and new turbo fitted it was time to start it for the first time!

View attachment IMG_1406_zpsbiqhk1gf.jpg

View attachment th_IMG_2304_zpsjjbpzstx.mp4.jpg

this was with no exhaust and lambda sensors etc but it does run and rev etc so that's a bonus!

we have then concentrated on the other things. Brake system is all done you can see the remote megane reservoir which has the hydraulic clutch built in just behind the turbo heat shield

I bought a fibreglass switch panel for the dash and had it flocked to house the megane keycard, battery cut off and some switchs.

View attachment IMG_1398_zpshtfmsrvk.jpg

the car is away at the minute with a friend who is fabricating the exhaust, intercooler and custom driveshaft's, but is due back today. Tonight we should be able to start it with the new full 3" turbo back exahaust, driveshaft's aren't quite ready yet so cant actually test drive it just yet.

Few pics of his exhaust work

3" downpipe, apparently this was a pig to fit in!

View attachment IMG_1599_zpspn96lot0.jpg

View attachment IMG_1597_zpspzbm8b5e.jpg

View attachment IMG_1589_zpsra7kek5q.jpg

View attachment IMG_1596_zpsg93wlasj.jpg

View attachment IMG_1602_zpstzygghjm.jpg

megane 250 tailpipe

View attachment IMG_1590_zpseytskaxh.jpg

very impressed with his exhaust work, if your in the market for a custom exhaust this is your guy!

That's pretty much where we are up to. Have the custom loom to finish off fit the dash properly fit driveshafts check and double check everything and give it a road test. Its off to EFI parts for a rolling road run before any track time to check everything over and give us an idea of the power, expecting a touch over 225, and will probably remap the standard ecu at a later time if everything is ok.

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
Custom driveshaft's are done and installed, first test drive last night smells like its got a slight water leak around the turbo somewhere but generally all went well. surface isn't very good at our unit and the tracking is miles out so was spinning in 3rd.

Few pics and vids

6bfe193f-371c-4778-ba75-1af651ac9fd1_zpsgc0lzbtt.jpg

th_IMG_2448_zpsh48lp26s.jpg

th_IMG_2447_zpskzbjhw4a.jpg

Land Rover Defender
Just caught up through your thread iWomble, looks good! Shame it was so dark last night, sounded fantastic in "real life"!

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
shall try and get a daylight test drive in horrocks! have mailed efi-parts for a rolling road session

the chasis rail doesn't need much notching out, but when we did it we did more than needed really but lets us get the full engine and box in through the too of the bay now. Gearbox mount using the combination of clio/megane needs a bit of tweaking to get the engine level but lines up a treat

shall try and get a daylight test drive in horrocks! have mailed efi-parts for a rolling road session

the chasis rail doesn't need much notching out, but when we did it we did more than needed really but lets us get the full engine and box in through the too of the bay now. Gearbox mount using the combination of clio/megane needs a bit of tweaking to get the engine level but lines up a treat
Have you got any photo's of the chassis rail and gearbox mount? Did the upper drivers mount bolt directly onto the 225 engine too?

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
Not sure why but no oddly never took any when working on it! It's clear when you do it what needs chopping out though.

Drivers engine mount is a direct fit yes!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I used both upper engine mounts from a Clio, plus a custom rear mount. Everything was nice and level. Used a bit of heat and a hammer on the chassis rail and didn't touch the sub frame.

Wonder if it's because I'm using a Clio head instead of a Megane?

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
the subframe to be fair probably didn't need touching was just looking close so thought we would try to sort now rather than later if we had issues. heads size wise are the same but yes megane gearbox mount bolted to the clio gearbox top mount bit of tweaking then we made a custom front and rear engine mount and all mounts are solid so hopefully shouldn't go anywhere lol

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
£150 + PP for the shafts with you providing 2 clio and 2 megane shafts

fitted a new CV boot last night and carried on with some more wiring for the indicators and brake lights all working now. Just the hazards to sort out now. We also sprayed up the intercooler

IMG_2489_zps3g1dgpha.jpg

hope to get the wiring finished bit more of a shake down and may take it up to York RWYB on sunday for its first proper run out

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
by the time I sold all the megane parts all the clio parts im pretty sure it will end up costing me nothing. may even be up a touch!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
well that's a lucky for you but generally speaking this conversion should cost something

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
wouldn't say lucky just lots of time and space breaking the full megane and selling all the bits not needed on the clio. exhaust and shafts were the only big things I have had to buy really

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
Kurt has finally finished the wiring, custom indicators and hazards that I couldn't do. Just needs a few more wires soldering and job done. Dash is all in now but no pic yet, just a shot of the wires!

IMG_2834_zpsvfihcmt7.jpg

Its off to EFI parts on sunday for a diagnostic rolling road will get some new pics and vids then

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
car went to EFI parts on Sunday for a couple of runs. Chris was happy with the fuelling and boost etc which was good to hear. Slightly lean as it came on boost very low down but very safe everywhere else. Made 235BHP and 239Torque so very happy with that on a 100k standard engine.

Bought some tracking gauges and camber gauges to get the car pointing where we want it. looking to book it on its first track outing in may.

couple of vids on the rollers.

http://vid1307.photobucket.com/albums/s581/Craig_Windle/Clio 182/IMG_2845_zpsqqzbbvrd.mp4

http://vid1307.photobucket.com/albums/s581/Craig_Windle/Clio 182/IMG_2844_zpsuwydxwty.mp4

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Just had to do a crank seal change on mine as it was weeping, I thought it would be easy enough to pull the box off with the engine in situ. Top tip, just drop the engine and box, what a pain in the ass it was.

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
yea cant imagine working around it will be easy! had to change driveshaft oil seal it was weaping a touch but wasn't too bad that all dry now. Track Day booked 20th May at Oulton see what goes wrong!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Good stuff mate, I'm just sorting out a few niggles. I've got a remote oil filter set up that I'm fitting as my inlet is bottom fed, which makes oil changes a ball ache. Hopefully doing a few shows and track days later in the year

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yeah I actually need to make more of an effort to take photos. It's not really that extreme by today's standards.
Brief Spec -
F4RT Block
197 Head
ND0 Box with LSD
GTX3071R Turbo
Twin scroll tubular manifold
Twin Tial External waste gates
Custom Inlet, Intercooler, Engine mount, 3" Exhaust

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I actually need to make more of an effort to take photos. It's not really that extreme by today's standards.
Brief Spec -
F4RT Block
197 Head
ND0 Box with LSD
GTX3071R Turbo
Twin scroll tubular manifold
Twin Tial External waste gates
Custom Inlet, Intercooler, Engine mount, 3" Exhaust
Pics or it ain't true! :wink: What's the power output on that then?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Should be a genuine 500plus, I'm just running it in at the minute though.
With the running in map it's limited to 6k and only running .4bar of boost. Its making 221bhp but has wilder cams than normal so should pull all the way to the red line. Not 100% sure what it would make at 7.5k

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Should be a genuine 500plus, I'm just running it in at the minute though.
With the running in map it's limited to 6k and only running .4bar of boost. Its making 221bhp but has wilder cams than normal so should pull all the way to the red line. Not 100% sure what it would make at 7.5k
Nice! What cams are you running then? Purely just out of curiosity as there's not much selection, or at least that's how it appears anyway. 221bhp at .4 bar is not to be sniffed at either. Steel crank and rods?

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
500bhp plus that will be lively lol
main aim for mine is that it can still br driven hard on the track and hopefully not die!
have had the geo done today it was miles out from all the work. and just ordered new rear coilovers as mine have seized I think

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
couple of day light vids, have had to change a driveshaft seal that was weeping a touch. few things to tidy up and check but its booked on oulton park on the 20th may

th_IMG_2853_zpsak5cltkc.jpg

th_IMG_2852_zpswh51yz15.jpg

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
well did oulton park a few weeks back and for its first outing the car did ok!

Before I left we fitted some new rear shocks as my old setup had become seized

IMG_2895_zpsjvsoqybv.jpg

at oulton we had a few teething issues which were to be expected but generally the car performed well but we were plagued with ropey handling for some reason that needs addressing.

one of the exhaust to turbo bolts went missing but luckily we had a random bolt with the same thread lying about so that fixed that. All day we could smell fuel and upon filling up at the last session we were black flagged for a fuel leak. On investigation the leak was a brimmed tank (didn't trust the megane fuel gauge) and leaking out of where the pump sits in? we were running the full megane setup, but have since rebuilt the meagne pump into the clio housing but not actually fitted it all back yet to see if this cures it. Don't suppose anyone knows if the megane/clio ring that hold the pump in place are all the same as I'm not sure which one I have in at the min?

Handling wise, it just wasn't good! we have changed allot of things about 40kg extra in the engine/box setup, raised the car a bit all round with some rake and fitted some canards. The car had been on the hunters to check camber/geo and was the same as what blink motorsport had previously set it up at. the car was going sideway on the sighting laps, felt very twitchy at high speeds and lots of torque steer but I was expecting that with the turbo setup. Any ideas? we ditched the canards for the last session but were black flagged so never got to test

I have a roll cage due any day now so that will be fitted and it will be off to blink for a full setup and corner weight, its always handled very well so not sure whats happening. could even be the tyres, I do have another set of wheels so can check that part out.

All in all, for 235BHP the speed now on track is plenty, you can happily leave it in 4th gear on the megane box and just let it pull you out of the corners. the megane box with quick s**t is nigh and day better than the clio setup also, effortless gear changes. I have no speedo so not a clue what sort of speed we were doing but certainly pulls well!

epic project !
are you running a diff in the megane's gearbox ? also 40kg more at the front can be a drawback on the clio's handling, some weight should be put at the back to get things straight.

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
no diff just a normal 225 box for now, with the extra torque leaving it in 4th was better than the old engine in 2nd gear. brother has built a similar car but with a quaife diff so we will soon see the differences!

there isn't anything else I can shove in the back bar the full cage that is due, but will ovb add weight up front too. Ill get the cage fitted and off to blink and see whats a miss, I do usually run slicks also but have driven it on the semi's and it used to be fine

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
slight update.
took the car to a mates garage to have it checked over, was found that the rear wheels were oddly towing out 6mm! this is why we had funny handling on the last oulton park day!

removed some old shims and got it towing in about 4mm but better than out I guess. we corner weighted whilst it was there with some old school gauges again it was miles off!

Booked an evening day at donnington last week to check if its made any difference. car was spot on, back to its old handling ways and started to push more and more through the day. slight gear linkage issues but nothing a couple of cable ties couldn't sort and the day was a success!

hand booked oulton park for Tuesday the 4th but on last nights once over one of the manifold to turbo bolts has come loose and gone again, this is the 2nd time so going to try and get a nut on the other end this time. The exhaust has been blowing a touch ever since it was made, so we also removed the down pipe and discovered they don't quite mate up properly. Ste has addressed this today and a new gasket ordered hopefully back together before Tuesday.

pic from donnington trackday

11779961_810440632386715_178701315948329497_o.jpg

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
did oulton park a few weeks back and car still behaving as it should, but brakes have been suffering stil.. Work for a few laps then too much heat and start fading away... about half 4 on the day I felt the rear end twitch a bit. jacked it up and the off side rear bearing had some play in so packed up for the day.

I then set out to sort the brakes out, so this week have ordered a new set of brembo rear discs to sort the bearing issue out

IMG_3206_zpsnxkgxzeg.jpg

Next onto the fronts, I got a set of new brembo HC Discs up front, mine were juddering on the last track day and for the cost of new discs thought I may as well! fitted these and went for an upgrade in Brake Pads. After speaking with Ian he advised with the new power level the old pads were worn and had took a beating and recommended going for the next grade up, so ordered and fitted those.

IMG_3201_zpsbtgqvjgu.jpg

IMG_3202_zpsv4wnt529.jpg

IMG_3208_zpseaffd92v.jpg

We are booked on Donington for Bank holiday Monday so shall see how the brakes go then. Will have to brake them in on track sadly as I cant use the car on the road. Will look at some ducting soon also, but these pads to require heat to keep them at their best so we shall see!

Car is also booked in to have a remap at RS Tuning on the 26th of September, not sure what sort of power levels it will rise too but we shall see!