ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lawro's Clio Replacement

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
A few updated photos from Forge Action Day at Castle Combe last weekend.

I attended with AudiTuner magazine and am overjoyed that the car will be featured by them in the November issue.

21428091941_75ee66e41d_c.jpg
TT Action Day by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

21408756302_556b5d0a2c_c.jpg

21232771699_2b7f2c7981_c.jpg

21408757952_37eef8733d_c.jpg

Paintwork and attention to detail are epic......... That bonnet shut picture just screams dedication. The want is strong with this one mate.

Well done on the feature fella [emoji106]

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Small update, had a trackday at Silverstone over the weekend.

Weather was perfect and the car felt great. Since the last update I have installed a Water Methanol Injection system to try and keep the intake temperature's down as I was previously suffering from detonation at higher revs once the car was hot.

22139890751_e81e051a2a_c.jpg
Silverstone - Audi TT by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

21941595690_d43e874786_c.jpg

Everything was going well until early afternoon when I entered Becketts at around 110mph, applied the brakes and nothing.. Brown pants indeed!

Managed to turn in and keep it out the gravel so thankfully no cosmetic damage. Turns out the auxiliary belt had melted, cooked the alternator and wiring before subsequently snapping and taking out the brake servo. Not ideal but could have been a lot worse!

22139890671_458592b8f1_c.jpg

I will get cracking with the repair this week as I'm back out at Castle Combe this weekend. I will need to have a look into the heat issue over the winter and possibly fabricate a heat shield of some description as I'd like to avoid butchering the bonnet if possible.

Ex 182 owner
Pleased your all ok mate.. Might have been a blessing to go the way it did in the end.. rather than elsewhere.

you gonna detail the flatbed while its being ferried about ;)

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I would have actually shat my pants. Glad you and the metal are okay though.
Still looks baller on the flatbed.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lucky boy!
Hope the straps on the low loader hasn't marked the wheels. They ruined my CH's on the Bora.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Pleased your all ok mate.. Might have been a blessing to go the way it did in the end.. rather than elsewhere.

you gonna detail the flatbed while its being ferried about :wink:

Thanks man! Yeah I'm glad it happened where it did because that section has a fair amount of run off.

Haha, I'm not sure about that! The driver was a tool and it took the best part of 5 hours to get home!

I would have actually shat my pants. Glad you and the metal are okay though.
Still looks baller on the flatbed.

It was pretty terrifying as I'm always pretty late on the brakes anyway. When the pedal went to the floor straight away my heart was in my mouth.

Lucky boy!
Hope the straps on the low loader hasn't marked the wheels. They ruined my CH's on the Bora.

Yeah very lucky mate, could have been a hell of a lot worse! All good fun though.

I haven't actually checked to be honest, I just dumped the car in the garage and haven't looked at it since.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Is it a common issue on the TT?

No, never heard of it happening before. I can only assume it's this new tubular manifold that's caused the excessive heat in the engine bay.

Going to have to do a few tests and come up with some kind of solution to stop it happening again as it was hands down one of the scariest moments in my life lol!

Ex 182 owner
Get your cheque book out then lad!

I wouldn't mind a manual V6 to be fair!

Its always said that once you jump you shouldnt look back...Since i have owned my now departed ti 182 and my trophy. There have been possibly three cars i really wished i could have had if nto already comitted. @Lawro damn Ti 182 was one of them. Probably one of the most expensive 182's i have seen sold on this forum in the last 2 years, worth every penny. Those retrimmed recaro speeds...mmmm

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Its always said that once you jump you shouldnt look back...Since i have owned my now departed ti 182 and my trophy. There have been possibly three cars i really wished i could have had if nto already comitted. @Lawro damn Ti 182 was one of them. Probably one of the most expensive 182's i have seen sold on this forum in the last 2 years, worth every penny. Those retrimmed recaro speeds...mmmm

Thanks man, it's nice to have your work appreciated!

Jokes aside, if I was offered a ridiculous amount for the TT I don't think I could let it go even though it's been a hormonal b**ch recently and is a self confessed alcoholic!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I don't blame you mate its an amazing example, a real credit to you. It's has got me looking at them as something to muck about with in what little spare time I have as they can be had for peanuts now.

My dad had a misano red one back in 2005 and I've loved them ever since.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Still looks so fresh mate. Really does. It's still no V6 though. ;)

Fabia VRS & Yeti
That is a very nice car. I am tempted by one of these having discounted them in the past, especially in silver but yours looks spot on!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Saw on Instagram that you'd had a few probs with it, glad it's nothing too major and you're alright. Can't even think of what I'd have done in that situation, other than panic!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Update:

So I managed to get the car sorted for Audi Driver International at Castle Combe last weekend.

I ended up replacing the alternator, auxiliary belt and tensioner, brake servo and wiring.

I also fitted a turbo jacket to try and stem some of the heat in the engine bay.

This seems to have sorted the issues and the car was completely faultless all day!

Really pleased with how the car feels now and I managed to smash my previous lap time at Castle Combe and pull out a 1:17.9.

22441769301_d854efcece_c.jpg
Audi TT - Castle Combe 1:17.9 by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

A few photos from the day..

21798100473_44847f3d75_c.jpg
Audi TT ADI by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

22232895349_a5be6d7a51_c.jpg
Audi TT - ADI by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

22232005888_2b1a9cc094_c.jpg
Audi TT - ADI by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

22231518908_ae0082c854_c.jpg

22406017052_3fe1788659_c.jpg

22231518678_388ef8387b_c.jpg

22232407609_6938bace87_c.jpg

22232407259_ea400711a8_c.jpg

22419207185_2d1d114e74_c.jpg

21798098173_5f8954f8ef_c.jpg

22419206075_062fa3db2d_c.jpg

22393225926_8eec12a12b_c.jpg

21798096613_6c23d8d05b_c.jpg

That's it for this year. Car has now been SORN and stored away for the winter.

Plan to get the forged engine built up and fitted along with a BBT K418T Hybrid Turbo which should see a comfortable 360/360 figure.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Wow, that's some power now!

You got a forged engine built then? Any more details or spec on how this power was achieved :smile:

Thanks man!

Yeah engine had the following work:
144x20 PEC forged rods + ARP bolts
Big End Shells
Head Gasket Set (In/Out Mani, head gasket, rocker seal)
Timing Kit
Water Pump
Piston Rings
Head Bolts
RTV Sealant/Sump Gasket
Oil Pump/Chain

Garrett GT3076R Turbo, T25 Relentless V4 Manifold, Siemens DEKA 630cc Injectors, Helix Clutch, 42DD Intake plus all the usual oil feeds etc.

Need to run it in now and make a few adjustments before final mapping. I want to install an additional WMI nozzle pre-throttle body and an oil catch tank set-up.