ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lawro's Clio Replacement

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Only just noticed this myself although the rods are the weak point on the 1.8T.

Yeah PCV was binned but I'm not happy with the setup at the moment so going to install a catch tank rather than venting to atmosphere.

Yeah standard Pistons, they're more than up to the job and I'm not chasing figures and going for 500bhp etc. Just wanted some additional reliable power, hence I went for the GT30 turbo running at 50% rather than a hybrid running at 110%.

I haven't even driven it yet but apparently it goes like a stabbed rat.

How come you didn't go for a 2871 RS? \I'm guessing this will be quiet laggy in the wrong gear/rev range?

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
How come you didn't go for a 2871 RS? \I'm guessing this will be quiet laggy in the wrong gear/rev range?

As with an big turbo it will be far more laggy than a K04 but to be fair, the difference in response is ~500rpm with the same body on a GT2871RS so not huge.

It will spend most it's life on track so the lag isn't a huge issue in honesty as it will be high up in the rev range so the GT3076R seemed the better option after a bit of maths.

I've never looked in here before :confused:
I think it's perfection, it looks so damn good!! I love it! :hearteyes:

Sorry to hear about your latest update though, that sucks!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Oh dear 😧 any idea what happened??

Nothing major, it went into limp mode so I pulled over and switched it off. It then wouldn't start, turns over but won't fire.

It's got compression so either fuel or spark related.

Can hear the pump prime which is brand new as are the injectors so in theory it should be something like a crank sensor but we'll see.

Going home empty handed eitherway but it was quick for the 3 seconds it was on boost lol!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
So, time for a little update..

The fault was a pretty basic crank sensor failure which was quickly resolved and the car returned to me.

It unfortunately didn't last long.. Covered around 100miles, no issues, took it out for a little blast one afternoon before Christmas and it decided to blow it's load.

24179904235_ce61c79557_c.jpg
Audi TT by Lawrence Parsons, on Flickr

Unfortunately after some investigation it's spun a shell. This only normally occurs from 1 of 2 things and the oil pump/chain is brand new so it's pointing towards engine tolerances which is a little disappointing.

The cars been picked up again by the boys at APR for some remedial work so fingers crossed it should be back shortly.

In the meantime, I've had the following comissioned by Edge Automotive.. Something a little different, but very Lawro.

23812093109_5cd2d22f56_c.jpg

23551719554_4a292461e8_c.jpg

23812092089_a597cf6614_b.jpg

Pictures don't do the workmanship any justice.. These are the second set of seats I've had done by Edge and they never fail to impress. Worth every penny.

I've got a few other bits still being finished in perforated leather to fit in and balance out the seats etc.

I also killed the brakes at the last trackday so was time for some replacements.

Gone for 330mm AP Racing 'J-Hooks' up front with Ferodo DS1.11's and Brembo HC's and Brembo Performance pads on the rear.

24153818766_5348566d4c_c.jpg

RB 182 FF
This is another example of the indestructable German engineering myth my mates bang on about.... I've had my 182 4 years with no major issues and had a supposed nightmare 'Italian car' in the form of an Alfa GTV V6 for 2 years with the only fault being the German Bosch MAF sensors blowing 3 times..... In those 6 years 3 friends have had epic fails with German cars which were well maintained...!

However your car's are always epically mint Lawro, fair play to you! :up:

This is another example of the indestructable German engineering myth my mates bang on about.... I've had my 182 4 years with no major issues and had a supposed nightmare 'Italian car' in the form of an Alfa GTV V6 for 2 years with the only fault being the German Bosch MAF sensors blowing 3 times..... In those 6 years 3 friends have had epic fails with German cars which were well maintained...!

However your car's are always epically mint Lawro, fair play to you! :up:
I take it your GTV was running about 200bhp over stock, yeah? :laughing:

Is this all being done under warranty @Lawro? Best be..

RB 182 FF
No it was 217bhp, bang on actual figures. Doesn't make any difference to 3 mates having fails with German cars and my friends mum had this shape TT, I'm unsure of the exact engine but that ate itself as well... I've got nothing against German cars but the myth of bullet proof engineering does annoy slightly..!

No it was 217bhp, bang on actual figures. Doesn't make any difference to 3 mates having fails with German cars and my friends mum had this shape TT, I'm unsure of the exact engine but that ate itself as well... I've got nothing against German cars but the myth of bullet proof engineering does annoy slightly..!
I had a TT with the same engine for 2 years with not a single problem. This "issue" has arisen from a poor build and stonking great turbo..;)

RB 182 FF
That's a good point, just to prove I'm not a German car hater I have so much want for an E63/4 M6 V10, or the M5, what an engine!! I just read about the brake fail, I'm glad Lawro and the car got away unscathed, that would be terrifying!!!

That's a good point, just to prove I'm not a German car hater I have so much want for an E63/4 M6 V10, or the M5, what an engine!! I just read about the brake fail, I'm glad Lawro and the car got away unscathed, that would be terrifying!!!
He's already fitted bigger brakes but that was heat related I believe. Don't worry, I do know what you mean. German cars aren't what they used to be and other brands are better. But this is a poor example..;)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
He's already fitted bigger brakes but that was heat related I believe. Don't worry, I do know what you mean. German cars aren't what they used to be and other brands are better. But this is a poor example..:wink:

Cheeky prick! Lol

Yes mate, it's being done under warranty providing it's found the build is at fault.. Which it is!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
It does look like poor workmanship here. @Lawro how do you get cars to look cleaner than factory? It's unbelievable to be fair!!!

As Tom said, unfortunately when you decide to double the BHP the car is designed to take issues arise. Not to mention the fact it spends pretty much 90% of its life on track and I don't believe in mechanical sympathy. :wink:

It's done 104K now and is 12 years old so I'd expect a few issues along the way. I'm a little disappointed in the engine build but these things happen and it will be rectified. I can't fault APR's service at all!

I've always been the same with all my cars, attention to detail is key for me and I think my cars are how I express myself best! My dad was/is the same in fairness so I guess it's just a family trait.

Thanks for the comments guys.

RB 182 FF
Ah that's a dam shame, for your arm, your TT and my car as I'm in Bristol and planned dumping it on you! :smile: But no seriously I'd love to be able to have my cars like you get them, it's incredible! I find it hard for motivation as my car is a daily and gets gunked all winter, it's a never ending fight, especially with all this f**king rain!!