ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LewisTaylor's BlackGold 182

Trafic 140dci
So last week i found my self bored and doing random searches on eBay... When i stumbled across a Megane 225 engine, newly built with brand new bottom end and low miles top end converted to fit in a 1*2 and a JC5 gearbox, the seller only had 1 positive feedback so stuck a low bid on, then started asking questions, i shortly realized it was Andyrg off CS. For those who don't know he was the first to do this conversion and had a Trophy red ph1 which was a relief knowing it was a trusted seller. We then started Negotiating and i ended up with the engine, a custom exhaust manifold for side mounted Turbo, JC5 DCI gearbox, inlet manifold and a few other bits ;) Initially the plan was to stick this in the ph1 and sell the ITB's and 421'd engine, when i got a text....

Was off another member on here that lives round the corner from me, with a lovely BG 182, he'd won another car on eBay and offered me the 182 at a silly price if i bought it there and then, so 10 minutes later the money was in his bank and i had Clio number 4 :)

The plan is, after being to the ring i now have the bug, i want a car i can comfortably cruise in, but with huge power on tap, it already has a Milltek exhaust which is perfect IMO, with a good map on this engine i won't see no less than 270bhp, DCI gearbox should give me a nice low RPM cruising speed. I will be keeping all the interior bar the rear seats, a small 6 point dash dodger roll cage will be fitted for safety, and that's all i have planned for now, i'll decide the rest as i go along :)

He dropped the car off to me Tuesday, and this is how it was upon arrival:

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

I started on it Wednesday, first job was a headlight refurb, IMO they need doing again, but i hate tedious time consuming jobs like this lol:

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

I then changed the smoked side repeaters for some clear ones that were supplied:

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

I then gave the car a well needed clean and fitted my OZ F1's :)

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

Tow eye and Satin Black front diamond fitted:

IMG_2450.jpg

The F4rT

IMG_2445.jpg

Custom Manifold:

IMG_2444.jpg

All my goodies from old car sorted now ready to go on when engine is fitted:

IMG_2446.jpg

That's it for now :) Engine will be ready to go in as soon as i get the following parts:

- Standard 225 turbo
- Intercooler and pipework
- Airfilter
- Map sensor
- EC1r & Loom

So if anyone has any of them feel free to PM me ;)

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Re: Boosted BlackGold Project - F4rT content.

Jealous :( I really want to turbo mine!! Lol
looks nice so far mate...although, needs a splitter ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Nice.

Will this be coming to the ring in September?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I want a passenger ride :D

Never been in a turbo clio, would love to turbo the Trophy if I could afford it.

pimp mobile Zafira

Wow! Good luck mate. I really hope all goes well and hopefully I can blag a Pax lap next time we're all at the ring.

Trafic 140dci

I want a passenger ride :D

Never been in a turbo clio, would love to turbo the Trophy if I could afford it.
Neither have I LOL, but i've been in a Meg 225 (and you owned one iirc?) and the power delivery is pretty awesome tbh.

Anyone is more than welcome to a passenger ride :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Yeh, mine wasn't mapped though which is supposed to make a massive improvement. Plus the clio is lighter.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Was the custom manifold made from a cut up and welded up 172 manifold? That's what I'm considdering doing.

Where is the oil return for the turbo on your block?

Should be a good project this.

Trafic 140dci

Was the custom manifold made from a cut up and welded up 172 manifold? That's what I'm considdering doing.

Where is the oil return for the turbo on your block?

Should be a good project this.
Yeah that's all it is should give lots of clearance on brake lines and turbo should sit just below coolant bottle by the looks of things :)

No isea tbh haven't looked properly. Haha got nothing on yours, that's lovelly :)

How did you get on with the loom? Were you able to use much of the 172 loom then just add the extra required sensors? What ECU are you running?

Sorry to bug you with loads of questions :)

ph1 172

We all know it will be an awesome project.......it's what we do in the east;)

Let me know if you need a hand with anything mate as I'm always here to help....and supply a small workshop:)

Trafic 140dci

We all know it will be an awesome project.......it's what we do in the east;)

Let me know if you need a hand with anything mate as I'm always here to help....and supply a small workshop:)
Thanks mate appreciate the offer :)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Yeah that's all it is should give lots of clearance on brake lines and turbo should sit just below coolant bottle by the looks of things :)

No isea tbh haven't looked properly. Haha got nothing on yours, that's lovelly :)

How did you get on with the loom? Were you able to use much of the 172 loom then just add the extra required sensors? What ECU
are you running?

Sorry to bug you with loads of questions :)

My oil return is to the sump but is non standard.

The loom is custom too for an adaptronic ecu. Need an additional coolant temp sensor but as I'm going piggy back the other sensors will all be off the OE management.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Not wanting to rain on your parade mate, but I'm not sure that manifold will work in a Clio bay. If your willing to bin the ABS unit off you might be able to squeeze it in but it's certainly not going to be a straight forward fit and you'll need a custom downpipe.

Trafic 140dci

Not wanting to rain on your parade mate, but I'm not sure that manifold will work in a Clio bay. If your willing to bin the ABS unit off you might be able to squeeze it in but it's certainly not going to be a straight forward fit and you'll need a custom downpipe.
It's from Andyrg, he's been there, done it and got the t-shirt on this conversion. So I have no doubt it will be fine.

The custom down pipe isn't a problem at all, and if the abs has to go it will be a pain as its another job, but I'm not to bothered about that :) I'm more worried about it fouling on the coolant header tank, as I wouldn't know where I could move that to tbh.

IMO I think it's going to be a better solution to moving brake lines/turbo being mm's away from brake lines :)

I think k-tek's turbo 182 has a similar manifold to this?

A

ashy_gtt

I'm afraid Stevesprobably right, Andy didn't use this manifold on Red phase 1. This manifold was built for a Renault 5 conversion, I should know as I was there when I built it. Thats not to say it wont fit but you may need to move things around and you'll certainly need a custom downpipe!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG

Looking forward to seeing this done, I to am with stevie h on this one, there is not a lot of room and I binned the idea of a four branch manifold due to the abs unit, with turbo, 4 branch and downpipe there is not a lot of room, taking into account of under bonnet temps etc all the best with the conversion *subscribed* :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If its the same manifold that he had on the engine when it was in my Mk1 liquid yellow shell before he swapped to the m2 shell then he used a pedal box to avoid issues with the brake servo etc IIRC

Cool project, turbo clios are the way forward without a doubt, the engines work so much better in turbo form than N/A, all their internal geometry etc lends itself far better to forced induction.

225 powered mk2

Been in a meggy 255 is nowhere as awesome as F4RT in the clio, I went out in one before i did my conversion, the power is amazing so smooth and hardly no lag if done properly. Andy is a great guy and helped me sort mine last year :) If you need any help or photos etc on bit mate let me know.

For manifold ive got the standard 225 then fully custom downpipe, i can get a picture if you need??

Depends if you wanna run abs still, ive got rid of mine and i run fully stand alone on adaptronic :)

keep the updates coming :)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

He only bought the manifold last week Chip, and it's never been anywhere near his yellow or red clio :S

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

He only bought the manifold last week Chip, and it's never been anywhere near his yellow or red clio :S

Not the same one then, just knew that was the same engine he had in it, hence I said "IF" with my reply, I wasnt saying it was the case mate so thanks for clarifying that it wasnt.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

This will be epic.

Would love a 1*2 Turbo, although I think I'd prefer SC'd.

Superchargers are one of those things that just seem epically cool and amazing but actually arent really so great in reality IMHO.

You end up with worse fuel consumption, if you go displacement they dont like to rev generally speaking and if you go for a rotrex type then they are expensive and fragile.

Only real upside is not having lag, but TBH if you keep a turbo car in the right part of the rev range (not hard when for example on my turbo 172 that sweetsport is all the way from 3500-7500rpm) you dont suffer much with that anyway.

Turbo also allows far better control of the boost you run and can hence be mapped to different throttle angles etc if you use the right management (will be doing that on mine later on)

These are the reasons that manufacturers all seem to prefer turbos generally speaking.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

I know both sides of the argument for and against both. Personally I'd just prefer a SC'd Clio to a turbo'd one.

Has anyone compound charged one yet?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I know both sides of the argument for and against both. Personally I'd just prefer a SC'd Clio to a turbo'd one.

Has anyone compound charged one yet?

Ive not heard of a compound charged one.
Im doing that to one of my other cars soon (mid engined so lots of space to play with) but TBH thats another thing that isnt as good as it sounds, in most cases (including mine) a single turbo or charger correctly specced would give 90% of the gains for a lot less hassle. I'm only doing it "just because" not because it makes any sense, lol

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Yeah I noticed the "if" after I posted, but lost my phone signal and couldn't edit it. No dramas.

Andy used the OE manifold, but the downpipe fouled the servo. In the yellow clio he used a pedal box, in the red one he mounted the servo in the passenger side of the bulk head.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It's all about bragging rights, the project, accomplishment and because it will be interesting.

Lots of people seem to do projects for that reason in my experience of writing features for magazines etc, but they tend to be the people who then sell the car shortly after its finished before ever really using it an anger, where as people doing it because they have a specific need for it (ie if you do 20 trackdays a year or whatever which is my personal reason) are more likely to have a longer relationship with the car and find out wether what they did really works well or not.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Andy used the OE manifold, but the downpipe fouled the servo. In the yellow clio he used a pedal box, in the red one he mounted the servo in the passenger side of the bulk head.

Good info, should be useful to a few people :)
The MWM conversion on my turbo clio uses a custom downpipe to allow retention of the standard servo, but the turbo does sit fairly close to the brake lines as the OP mentions (not had any problems on mine though, even when used hard on track, but I have mapped it conservatively so it doesnt get as hot as if you were chasing numbers)

172 cup, Impreza P1

I use a ceramic coated down pipe so that should help the temps on the very close master cylinder. Brake lines are behind some nimbus so and aren't actually that close so should be fine.

LY Megane R26

Pretty sure this is going to be awesome! Just like the Ph1! Keep it up Lewis:)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Been working on mine today and had a good look for where your manifold could run but can't quite picture what route the down pipe can take. Will be keeping a close eye on this one!

If you go the cast manifold route let me know if you need any help with the brake issues.