ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LewisTaylor's BlackGold 182

225 powered mk2
Re: Boosted BlackGold Project - F4rT content.

My downpipe runs close to the servo, but relocated the resivor.. i need to make a proper relocation kit soon, but when ive been hammering the car for hours ive not had any brake issues.

Trafic 140dci

Thanks for all the comments and advise i appreciate everyones input.

With regards to the manifold, Andy wouldn't of sold it to me if he wasn't sure it would fit, your right this wasn't used on his others, but he'd built this engine for a new one he was going to do, but with another baby on the way he's had to cancel the plans for the new project.

I'm really going to cross that bridge when i get to it, if i was to run the standard manifold, i'd need to do something with brake lines/servo. If i run this manifold i may have coolant header tank, power steering header tank, and ABS pump problems.

Part of doing a custom build like this is getting over problems like this :)

The down pipe is the easy bit, i know of 2 different places around here that are dab hands at custom exhausts, one of which i get on with very well so get mates rates :)

Spoke to a mate tonight, who has an Astra GSI aftermarket intercooler in his garage he was going to fit, but changed his mind, so has offered it to me (it's not a standard one, but one similar sizes to what the likes of DannyR runs on his supercharged Clio) So should be ideal, he also has lots of pipe work so we can sort something out :)

Been in a meggy 255 is nowhere as awesome as F4RT in the clio, I went out in one before i did my conversion, the power is amazing so smooth and hardly no lag if done properly. Andy is a great guy and helped me sort mine last year :) If you need any help or photos etc on bit mate let me know.

For manifold ive got the standard 225 then fully custom downpipe, i can get a picture if you need??

Depends if you wanna run abs still, ive got rid of mine and i run fully stand alone on adaptronic :)

keep the updates coming :)
Nice one! Andy seems a really decent bloke given me lots of advise. Pictures of your manifold/down pipe would be handy

I'm not bothered about ABS, i'd rather leave it in the save the hassle of removing it, but i'd prefer the car without it, if that makes sense? LOL.

Andy said about the adaptronic ECU was good, what do you think? I looked into it on here and RS Tuning refuse to map them?

Superchargers are one of those things that just seem epically cool and amazing but actually arent really so great in reality IMHO.

You end up with worse fuel consumption, if you go displacement they dont like to rev generally speaking and if you go for a rotrex type then they are expensive and fragile.

Only real upside is not having lag, but TBH if you keep a turbo car in the right part of the rev range (not hard when for example on my turbo 172 that sweetsport is all the way from 3500-7500rpm) you dont suffer much with that anyway.

Turbo also allows far better control of the boost you run and can hence be mapped to different throttle angles etc if you use the right management (will be doing that on mine later on)

These are the reasons that manufacturers all seem to prefer turbos generally speaking.

These are the reasons i want to run a turbo'd engine, the main points for me are reliability, and power :)

Been working on mine today and had a good look for where your manifold could run but can't quite picture what route the down pipe can take. Will be keeping a close eye on this one!

If you go the cast manifold route let me know if you need any help with the brake issues.

Appreciate the advise, and will be keeping an eye on your project so i know what to do :)

225 powered mk2

About the manifold, im pretty sure the engine he had wasnt going in a clio ;) but cross that when you come to it :)

Aye andy is a top bloke, proper friendly and has always helped me out whenever ive needed it :)

IMO adaptronic systems are great.. for the price you pay for them they smash all other systems out there, im not saying they are better than other systems but ive had no problems with mine and does everything it needs to. Just have a word with scoff AKA Chris at EFI... he really knows his stuff and hes throwing out 500bhp from an R5! iirc

Ps il get some photos when im back out on the car :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Good luck with the manifold lewis, that engine was for a kangoo van not a clio.

Anything will fit, its just the lengths you'll go to, to make it fit. Thankfully T.Trophy has dropped off a lovely log manifold for me so I wont be f4rting (;)) around with moving things

Trafic 140dci

Good luck with the manifold lewis, that engine was for a kangoo van not a clio.

Anything will fit, its just the lengths you'll go to, to make it fit. Thankfully T.Trophy has dropped off a lovely log manifold for me so I wont be f4rting (;)) around with moving things
This is it, just got to make it work :)

By log manifold do you mean the kind engine dynamics & k-tec sell for the f4r conversion?

I'm in 2 minds as to try and use one of them if the custom one i have turns out to be a PITA.

The main thing i dont want to p*ss about with to much is brakes, i want to leave them mainly as they are/not do anything custom on them as if they fail it could go badly wrong. Although if the ABS unit is in the way, i have no problems swapping to a cup setup.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Scoff at EFI Parts is a top bloke and has given me loads of advise on my setup. I'm booked in on the 7th Of July for wiring and mapping and can't wait. He really rates the adaptronic stuff and as Rob says, he's used it to get unbelievable power out of his R5.

Now that I know what to do to clear the master cylinder with the down pipe it's not that difficult but part of the fun of doing a conversion is finding this stuff out and finding solutions to the problems you face. It's all too easy to give the car to a tuner or whoever and get them to do it but from what I've seen you look like someone who wants to do it yourself and get the feeling of achievement by DIY.

Enjoy!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

This is it, just got to make it work :)

By log manifold do you mean the kind engine dynamics & k-tec sell for the f4r conversion?

I'm in 2 minds as to try and use one of them if the custom one i have turns out to be a PITA.

The main thing i dont want to p*ss about with to much is brakes, i want to leave them mainly as they are/not do anything custom on them as if they fail it could go badly wrong. Although if the ABS unit is in the way, i have no problems swapping to a cup setup.
Apparently someone who changed the brake/abs/master cylinder set up on there turbo clio was atroscious (sp)

Yeah the log manifold is the ED/K-tec one

Trafic 140dci

Scoff at EFI Parts is a top bloke and has given me loads of advise on my setup. I'm booked in on the 7th Of July for wiring and mapping and can't wait. He really rates the adaptronic stuff and as Rob says, he's used it to get unbelievable power out of his R5.

Now that I know what to do to clear the master cylinder with the down pipe it's not that difficult but part of the fun of doing a conversion is finding this stuff out and finding solutions to the problems you face. It's all too easy to give the car to a tuner or whoever and get them to do it but from what I've seen you look like someone who wants to do it yourself and get the feeling of achievement by DIY.

Enjoy!
Oh right, sounds dumb but i didn't know Scoff was EFI-parts! Andy has been recomending EFI but had never heard of them so been a bit cautious! Now i know who it is i'll definatly be using them :) What's it costing for wiring and mapping? Was going to take it to TDF for the same but if they are competitive i'll use EFI :)

I know what you mean, i love nothing more than working on the car, i wish i could weld and knew more about electronics so i could do most of the work my self!

Thanks mate :)

Apparently someone who changed the brake/abs/master cylinder set up on there turbo clio was atroscious (sp)

Yeah the log manifold is the ED/K-tec one

I can see it easily causing problems if you start moving it all...

Ah right, are you using that on a F4rT or F4r? What turbo will you be using?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If you want big power the log manifold is a bad idea, the runner on cylinder 3 is extremely short compared to 1 in particular, so you end up with pulses colliding which cause higher EBP and with 3 being so close you risk overheating the exhaust valves on that cylinder, especially if you are on standard ones which are bad to begin with.

Trafic 140dci

If you want big power the log manifold is a bad idea, the runner on cylinder 3 is extremely short compared to 1 in particular, so you end up with pulses colliding which cause higher EBP and with 3 being so close you risk overheating the exhaust valves on that cylinder, especially if you are on standard ones which are bad to begin with.

Thanks for the advise Chip :) I'll stick with the side mounted manifold :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

I think every time ive logged on here you have a different Clio ;) Loved your white one so im sure this will be just as good :)

Rs200

yeaaaaaa this should be sick, a bg,182 is p**n on its own let alone 225 swap with it nice one.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

I can see it easily causing problems if you start moving it all...

Ah right, are you using that on a F4rT or F4r? What turbo will you be using?
Just my existing F4R mate, was thinking GT28RS although I hear the new GTX range are really good, I think paul runs one on his megane R26.R

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

28 is too small for 2.0 litre I reckon.
I'd sooner run a 30 and just have it ticking over for 300-350bhp than a 28 flat out.

Egt and Ebp is lower that way too.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

I'd sooner run a 30 and just have it ticking over for 300-350bhp than a 28 flat out.

I'm just taking the advice from someone who's done the same and ran it safely for a fair few thousand miles

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I've owned/mapped everything upto 35s on 2 litres and the 30 is best matched to a 2.0 in my experience, especially for fwd where you don't want it hitting too hard lower down, even on a 30 i find myself limiting the boost artificially well under 4k normally

28s work, but 30s just do it with less strain. I don't see any downside to a 30 at all tbh other than maybe physical space in a tight bay.

PH1 loads of boost!

^^^ This!

Should be a good build this, take advantage of the side mount and use a big turbo! Strap a GT30 onto it, stick some ARP's in there and aim for 400. Piece of p155! Not as hard as you think to build a 400+ clio is it, and if you're using standard engine bits then they're easily replaced if it goes tits up ;)
Just make sure you've got a spare gearbox or 6!

Trafic 140dci

^^^ This!

Should be a good build this, take advantage of the side mount and use a big turbo! Strap a GT30 onto it, stick some ARP's in there and aim for 400. Piece of p155! Not as hard as you think to build a 400+ clio is it, and if you're using standard engine bits then they're easily replaced if it goes tits up ;)
Just make sure you've got a spare gearbox or 6!
Money really is a main factor on this. If my cammed engine doesn't sell I'll sell the cams and have it rebuild at a later date forged with a megane head for a huge turbo. ;)

But for now rather than a Megane td04 which is about £2-300 when ever they are for sale I'll be using a scooby td04, at about a third of the price :)

Look forward to my white shell selling so I can crack on with this :)

PH1 loads of boost!

I'd keep an eye out for a Megane/Laguna turbo engine or head as well, they can be had for very little. If you take your time you can find stuff for a big HP build for fairly cheap. I suppose using a standard turbo and collecting all the big bits is a good way to do an upgrade and enjoy it at the same time...

Trophy Turbo :)

Now then Boys Play Nice.

Lewis the manifold will fit into your car with no issues ( it certainly WAS NOT ) made for a Kangoo, and even if it was the Kangoo Van has the same engine bay setup as the Clio LOL, as you know some work will be needed for a down pipe and this of course depends on what turbo you go for. The Water bottle will need moved onto the passenger side strut, its just two bolts. I fitted this to our project car with no issues at all :) the week before i had to change plans! and that is a clio 172 ;). This wasn't in the valver, that ran a OEM 225 manifold! :)

In Relation to the ECU i think the GEN90 is a great bit of kit and will litrally Plug and Play with no major work! As i said the Adaptonic is great and i cant see why Paul would not map this, he did at one point map mine for me, and yes the software is a little dated its still very efficient! running a Hybrid turbo mine made 309.6Bhp at 1.2Bar. and at 1.1Bar 299.8 At RST, so the Ecu can control the car well. The new version of Adaptronic are out and are very very good. Andy Scoff from Efi-Parts.co.uk will certainly map this for you! Look at the top dog R5s running massive BHP are running this ECU.

Now in Relation to the Turbo I agree very much with Chip, some one who acshally knows what hes talking about, with his vast Turbo background. nothing worse than a Limp lifless smooth car IMO, you want Raw and aggressive to throw you into the seat! and 300Bhp does that!

In the case of some posts in here its defo "who you know" and not "What you know" PMSL ;)

Trophy Turbo :)

I'd keep an eye out for a Megane/Laguna turbo engine or head as well, they can be had for very little. If you take your time you can find stuff for a big HP build for fairly cheap. I suppose using a standard turbo and collecting all the big bits is a good way to do an upgrade and enjoy it at the same time...

Lewis has the Megane Bottom End, 225 Pistons, Rods and the 225 Head already mate :) It will be great up to 300Bhp :)

PH1 loads of boost!

Lewis has the Megane Bottom End, 225 Pistons, Rods and the 225 Head already mate :) It will be great up to 300Bhp :)

With some ARP's it'll do another 100 as well, someone will prove that soon enough I reckon, all this talk of the meg engine only going to 300 is tittle tattle ;)

172 cup

Looking great, wish I had the know how to turbo mine :/, how much does the whole conversion roughly cost and what aorta mpg would you be expecting?

Trafic 140dci

Now then Boys Play Nice.

Lewis the manifold will fit into your car with no issues ( it certainly WAS NOT ) made for a Kangoo, and even if it was the Kangoo Van has the same engine bay setup as the Clio LOL, as you know some work will be needed for a down pipe and this of course depends on what turbo you go for. The Water bottle will need moved onto the passenger side strut, its just two bolts. I fitted this to our project car with no issues at all :) the week before i had to change plans! and that is a clio 172 ;). This wasn't in the valver, that ran a OEM 225 manifold! :)

In Relation to the ECU i think the GEN90 is a great bit of kit and will litrally Plug and Play with no major work! As i said the Adaptonic is great and i cant see why Paul would not map this, he did at one point map mine for me, and yes the software is a little dated its still very efficient! running a Hybrid turbo mine made 309.6Bhp at 1.2Bar. and at 1.1Bar 299.8 At RST, so the Ecu can control the car well. The new version of Adaptronic are out and are very very good. Andy Scoff from Efi-Parts.co.uk will certainly map this for you! Look at the top dog R5s running massive BHP are running this ECU.

Now in Relation to the Turbo I agree very much with Chip, some one who acshally knows what hes talking about, with his vast Turbo background. nothing worse than a Limp lifless smooth car IMO, you want Raw and aggressive to throw you into the seat! and 300Bhp does that!

In the case of some posts in here its defo "who you know" and not "What you know" PMSL ;)
Thanks Andy :) on the ecu I read that wrong, it was another that he wouldn't map, but it was to late to edit my post once I found out :( chances are I'll go for a TDF EC1 as its only £599 and a very good bit of kit. Gen90 is way out of my budget, I'd be happy to get Chris at EFI to map my car, but he litterally couldn't be further away!

Trafic 140dci

Looking great, wish I had the know how to turbo mine :/, how much does the whole conversion roughly cost and what aorta mpg would you be expecting?
I don't know a great deal tbh! Read alot on here, Andyrg has told me the rest lol mpg really isn't something I'll be thinking about...

172 cup

I don't know a great deal tbh! Read alot on here, Andyrg has told me the rest lol mpg really isn't something I'll be thinking about...

Ye but I'm pleased with myself when I change my oil lol!, ye I drive 16/17000 a year so if I did it I would have to take that into consideration :/

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

With some ARP's it'll do another 100 as well, someone will prove that soon enough I reckon, all this talk of the meg engine only going to 300 is tittle tattle ;)

You only need arp rod bolts if revving higher, power has no bearing on them, only rpm.

The problem with the standard bits is rubbish production tolerances, especially the pistons, some are cast well enough to get away with more than others, so don't think if one person does it that it proves another can, the pistons are very inconsistent so what one does isn't proof of what another will do.

Depends a lot how it's mapped too in terms of managing temps and peak cylinder pressures, if I was going for 400 bhp on standard parts I would want a 500bhp turbo on there to do it essentially as I would want conservative ignition advance and a very rich mixture.
Utterly pointless building one that way to try for big power though unless you were in some race series that specified standard rods and pistons when only about a grand puts a set of forged rods and pistons in it and stops the need for such compromise.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Scoff's already ran 400bhp+ on standard internals, so I don't see what the big deal is. BUT he did use a different crank to lower the CR into the 7's and he ran a large turbo which as Chip says above goes along way to reducing the risks. The biggest problem with Meg engines is there CR and they have a really restrictive turbo/manifold systems so when people start upping the boost thats when they start having failures. Plus I dont think the fuel system without a boost reference helps matters either when butting big boost in them.

Regarding turbo choice etc.... I've driven Renaults with F4R engines that have been fitted with a GT2860R, GT2871R, GT3076R, GTX3071R, stock Meg turbo's and Meg Hybrid turbos. They have been fitted to various manifolds some logs and some tubulars and out of all I still maintain that the GT2860R (on a logg) was the best all rounder for spool, power and response. Yes the hybrid spooled faster but was gutless at the top end, and the GT30's both made more power for less boost but were noticeably laggier where as the GT2860R was slap bang in the middle and gave the best of both worlds, and lets face it anything over 350bhp and your gonna spend more time swapping JC5 gearboxes than driving it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Scoff's already ran 400bhp+ on standard internals, so I don't see what the big deal is. BUT he did use a different crank to lower the CR into the 7's and he ran a large turbo which as Chip says above goes along way to reducing the risks. The biggest problem with Meg engines is there CR and they have a really restrictive turbo/manifold systems so when people start upping the boost thats when they start having failures. Plus I dont think the fuel system without a boost reference helps matters either when butting big boost in them.

He used a different crank to lower the CR?
While that is technically possible, it would be an epically stupid way of doing it IMHO and it certainly would NOT constitute "standard internals" anymore, changing the crank is far harder than changing the rods and pistons, you can do rods and pistons with the engine in the car still in a day with ease, crank you cant though!

Regarding turbo choice etc.... I've driven Renaults with F4R engines that have been fitted with a GT2860R, GT2871R, GT3076R, GTX3071R, stock Meg turbo's and Meg Hybrid turbos. They have been fitted to various manifolds some logs and some tubulars and out of all I still maintain that the GT2860R (on a logg) was the best all rounder for spool, power and response. Yes the hybrid spooled faster but was gutless at the top end, and the GT30's both made more power for less boost but were noticeably laggier where as the GT2860R was slap bang in the middle and gave the best of both worlds, and lets face it anything over 350bhp and your gonna spend more time swapping JC5 gearboxes than driving it.

GT30 all the way, in the boost threshold they are very responsive and who wants loads of boost at under 4Krpm anyway on an engine that happily revs to 7500rpm?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

It was on his drag five and worked pretty well, his philosophy was similar to Wilkys. If he had a piston/rod/block failure its a cheap fix. That was in his early days and hes moved on to higher BHP and a forged lump now.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It was on his drag five and worked pretty well, his philosophy was similar to Wilkys. If he had a piston/rod/block failure its a cheap fix. That was in his early days and hes moved on to higher BHP and a forged lump now.

What crank did he use? You'd only want the throw to be a mm or so shorter, and I cant think of any standard crank that would do that off hand, and if you get into the realms of offset grinds its quite a hassle to machine and requires thicker (less reliable) bearings.

Surely a thicker head gasket would be the cheapest and simplest way to pikey the CR down, cant believe that he would alter the crank instead TBH, hope he replies here with some details as it would be interesting to know for certain.

Definately not something I'd recomend as an option for people though personally, rods and pistons make far more sense.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Think it was out of a 1.7 volvo lump, sure it reduced both the capacity and CR in one foul swoop. Whilst it might not seem the most logical choice it certainly worked. However he did suffer a failure in the form of a bent rod once he went beyond 400bhp.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Think it was out of a 1.7 volvo lump, sure it reduced both the capacity and CR in one foul swoop. Whilst it might not seem the most logical choice it certainly worked. However he did suffer a failure in the form of a bent rod once he went beyond 400bhp.

Reducing capacity is a bit of a backwards step really if you are looking for power.
Not saying what scoff did was "wrong" as such, but I would imagine it was one of those "Im bored so I will try this" type things rather than him really thinking it was the way forward long term or something he would recomend as the way forward.