ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LewisTaylor's BlackGold 182

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Re: Boosted BlackGold Project - F4rT content.

From what I can remember he did it in a bid to reduce torque and give his JC5 gearbox an easier time on the strip. Obviously since then he's went with a VAG gearbox and has returned to the full 2 litre capacity

172 cup, Impreza P1

Thanks Andy :) on the ecu I read that wrong, it was another that he wouldn't map, but it was to late to edit my post once I found out :( chances are I'll go for a TDF EC1 as its only £599 and a very good bit of kit. Gen90 is way out of my budget, I'd be happy to get Chris at EFI to map my car, but he litterally couldn't be further away!

I'm going down to get mine mapped by Chris at the weekend from Glasgow so you'd be closer than me I expect. Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I'm going down to get mine mapped at the weekend from Glasgow so you'd be closer than me I expect. Lol

He's from Norwich, so is about a dozen miles further from Scoff than you are.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

From what I can remember he did it in a bid to reduce torque and give his JC5 gearbox an easier time on the strip. Obviously since then he's went with a VAG gearbox and has returned to the full 2 litre capacity

Map for less midrange boost would be a better way to get less torque these days with management so cheaply available which can do so.
Again, something that seemed a good idea year ago, might not be so relevant now.

PH1 loads of boost!

The way I see it, maybe I don't like my 172 much? If you're gonna go to the trouble of building a 400hp Clio, then mapping it or dropping the boost to help the gearbox last is silly. I know scoffs car got a lot of abuse on the strip so that made sense, but on a road car I know I woud rather sacrifice a gearbox or two and have the full mid range potential of a 400hp setup. With a bit of mechanical sympathy and not driving the car like a 17 year old the gearbox could last quite a while.
That's just my opinion of course, some people might not like the idea of changing a gearbox every X months but I think it's worth it to have as much mid range power as possible.
Then again it might depend on how many miles you do, if you did very little miles in it then a gearbox could last quite a while with 400+NM going through it.

Only one way to find out really....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

TBH on a road car you wont really get to use 400bhp in a 172 often IMHO, quality of tarmac and normal road tyres etc means you dont have the grip to use that much power in the lower gears and in the higher gears you just end up doing speeds that arent a great idea.

My (well under 300bhp) MWM turbo converted 172 easily gets past 160mph

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Map for less midrange boost would be a better way to get less torque these days with management so cheaply available which can do so.
Again, something that seemed a good idea year ago, might not be so relevant now.

This was his setup two/three years ago, as I've mentioned he's evolved his set up into a 700+ reliable set up now.

Simon I'm pretty confident that at 400nm plus you'll get less than 2k mileage out of a gear box depending how you drive it. Mine made 344lb/ft which is about 465nm and my box lasted 600miles lol

Looking forward to seeing yours :)

PH1 loads of boost!

600 miles would be 6 months of driving in my Clio. I could live with a fresh box every 6 months.

Looking forward to seeing my what? You've seen my car before haven't you?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

This was his setup two/three years ago, as I've mentioned he's evolved his set up into a 700+ reliable set up now.

Simon I'm pretty confident that at 400nm plus you'll get less than 2k mileage out of a gear box depending how you drive it. Mine made 344lb/ft which is about 465nm and my box lasted 600miles lol

Looking forward to seeing yours :)

And that is why I've decided to do a vag box conversion!

Thats woefull! Project sounds good, wish I had this much info given to me when I started :)

Trophy Turbo :)

the crank swap in scoffs car wasn't when he ran the 2.0 engine ;) it was in his other lumps before he started the f4r from my conversation with him a while back.

Boost out :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

the crank swap in scoffs car wasn't when he ran the 2.0 engine ;) it was in his other lumps before he started the f4r from my conversation with him a while back.

Boost out :)

I just checked the stroke of one of those engines. 83.5mm so it would have dropped the Cr way way too low if he used it in an F4R, if it even fits in the first place which I have no idea about.

Trafic 140dci

I'm going down to get mine mapped by Chris at the weekend from Glasgow so you'd be closer than me I expect. Lol
Basically what Chip said lol!

EFI is basically out of the question, due to distance.

RS Tuning isn't too bad at 150 miles, 4 and half hour drive would be worth the driving for Pauls mapping.

But TDF is most likely, Matt has always been spot on with everything he done on my 172 Cup and Ph1, and he's always been at the end of the phone with any queries or problems, he even shew me how to balance ITB's, ok not a hard job, but effectively he's shown me how to do something so he won't be able to make money on that now, if that makes sense...

The best bit is, he'd offered to collect the car so i'd only need to get a train to go collect it, and that is only £20, and an hour and half drive back :)

BUT first i need to build the bloody thing lol, at the moment it's a pile of parts in the garage :(

I think i'll take Chip's advise on a GT30 in the long run when i can afford it, for now i'll just run a cheap TD04 due to money, once all my white car is sold, and this is built i need to buy a house, sick of renting.

I was about to PM you and ask why you broke the white one - then saw this

Good choice! LOL

I love my ITB's but given the money back I'd boost the Clio instead.

Trafic 140dci

I was about to PM you and ask why you broke the white one - then saw this

Good choice! LOL

I love my ITB's but given the money back I'd boost the Clio instead.
It was a combination of i wanted something a bit more practical, a totally stripped car does get quite annoying, wanted alot more power :p and I'm hoping to buy a house in the next couple of months so would be good to release some of the funds i have tied up in the white Clio :)

Yeah fair play mate - that's exactly how i've felt a bit recently

Love mine to bits but having a full blown stripped out clio as your only car gets a bit annoying
Off to buy a 2.5 v6 TDi passat estate in a few months - retire the clio to being towed as a track car lol

Clio Sport 182

If you dont mind me asking, what did u use to refurb your head lights? Thanks :)

Trafic 140dci

Yeah fair play mate - that's exactly how i've felt a bit recently

Love mine to bits but having a full blown stripped out clio as your only car gets a bit annoying
Off to buy a 2.5 v6 TDi passat estate in a few months - retire the clio to being towed as a track car lol
It's awesome having a stripped out track car, but i just can't justify having another car just to tow it, especially when i don't need a car, just have one to have some fun in :)

If you dont mind me asking, what did u use to refurb your head lights? Thanks :)

Megs scratch x 2.0, and some sand paper, there is a guide on here, i'm not happy with the outcome of mine though.

Trafic 140dci

Time for a little bit of an update!

Parts are starting to collect in my garage. I recently swapped a set of French doors i ripped out of someone house (to replace with new ones, obviously!) for a Brand new front mount intercooler kit for an Astra GSI :) This included tonnes of alloy pipe and joiners, i dare say more than enough for what i need! All 2.5" so very happy with that!

Just ordered some new plates off Fancy plates today, need to order a skoda splitter later.

Car passed it's MOT last week, and a couple of weeks before that i renewed tax.

Just need an ECU and a Turbo now, which i should be getting a turbo off AndyRG soon with another JC5 DCI gearbox he's getting me (due to couriers breaking the first one :( )

Anyway other than that car is going well, looking forward to starting the conversion, just need my white shell off the drive now. Also once my ITB kit sells i'll probably be buying some Spax coilovers as they seem to be getting good reviews :)

Went to a local Cliosport meet today so a few pictures of my car:

2-1-1.jpg

Miltek's

IMG_0297.jpg

Tripoding (Or trying too, Not the easiest thing to get a photo of, did do better than this, Hankook v12's are shocking though)

IMG_0283.jpg

1/4 mile up the airfield :)

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Rhys' 182 only beat me by about 1 or 2 car lengths, which i was happy with as he keeps up with dmallett's cammed ph1, and has proven on a rolling road to be a strong engine :) And i also have a slipping clutch!!

pimp mobile Zafira

You seem to be getting there with the parts mate. Hopefully all will be ready for the ring.

Trafic 140dci

Had a bit of spare time today so got a little bit done on front end.

Bumper off, then i set about removing carbon condensor, acoustic valve, re-locating horns, Remove fogs, Removed washer jets, removed all the guts from the front bumper, cut RS Grill down, put some holes in the bumper because it looks cool :p fit skoda splitter, fit 3/4 plate on velcro.

Photo's are crap as the sun was behind my car and i was using my iPhone, Bumper off, no carbon condensor or horns to block airflow to brakes :)

182withoutbumper.jpg

Bumper back on, plate off showing holes, need to clean sticker residue off from old plates (save that for another day)

182frontbonnetup.jpg

182frontwithoutplate.jpg

3/4 plate on.

182frontwithplate.jpg

Front end is looking alot better. Leaving the Si cup race car style tow eye off for now as it looks mean without it, might get a black TRS tow strap. If i had more time, i'd of removed fog light surrounds, cut excess plastic away, i also need to refurb my headlights again as i done a really bad job. I would of also removed sidelights too as they spoil the colour of the Xenons when they are on, but my hands are too big, save that for when the lights are off.

And all of the sh*t i pulled out :)

carsh.jpg

Picking up dmallett's set of Recaro Pole Positions tomorrow. Had been waiting for 1 to come available for my passenger seat, but these were too good to miss, include harness', Recaro side mounts, OMP sub frames and local to pick up! So my old Recaro Pole Position drivers seat will be on eBay as of tonight :)

Will fit them tomorrow after work too if i get time, not as simple as it was on my other cars as the Miltek has a silencer below one of the bolts so means the cat back will need to come off :(

Trafic 140dci

When are you starting the big stuff?
Once the white shell is off the drive, blocking the garage :( need to get black car upto garage for engine/crane.

If it doesn't sell by CSS it's going to a makes farm untill a buyer comes along.

172 cup, Impreza P1

I know what you mean. You must be chomping at the bit to get started!

Looking forward to seeing your progress. :D

Trafic 140dci

I know what you mean. You must be chomping at the bit to get started!

Looking forward to seeing your progress. :D
Something like that, but it has it's plus sides, i now have/on there way 90% of the parts needed. It also gives me time to plan how I'm going to do things :)

I'm hoping 2 weekends work on it, the engine will be in and ready for delivery to have a custom down pipe made, then afterwards onwards for ECU, wiring and mapping :)

I'm also now planing on retaining the 182 decat. So that come MOT time i can swap for a 182 cat.

I think the only thing i need to look into is fuel rail & fuel pressure regulator setup, this is something i have no idea on lol.

Trafic 140dci

Small update.

Had a bit of a good/bad weekend the good bit is, i've sold my ph1 shell, ITB's, cammed engine, zorst and Recaro drivers seat, meaning lots of cash, and a free driveway now to get the car to the garage, so just waiting on my few last bits off Andy before the good stuff begins :)

I also got my Recaro's i got off dmallett fitted yesterday, fitted on OMP subframes, Recaro alloy side mounts and TRS 3 point harness', I wanted these as appose to the Sabelt 3" 4 point harness' i had as they were a chore to get buckled into and awkward to adjust for passengers, so moved to something simpilar :)

recaro182driver.jpg

recaro182driver2.jpg

recaro182passenger.jpg

Rear seats removed, eventually getting a K-Tec boot matt, when i can convince my self to part with such a sum of money for what is only a bit of carpet! Does look smart tho.

recaro182behind.jpg

This is what i've removed too..

stuffremoved.jpg

So the bad news of the weekend, i dislocated my shoulder for the 4th time last night, not doing a crazy motorbike stunt or something cool, just rolling over in bed... My shoulder is f*cked and in need of a major op, that i have been putting off as i will need 9 months off work, and being self employed means i'll loose my house or car and savings :dapprove:

It's fair to say I'm now in a position where i have to have this op and can't carry on like this. So i need to get my priorities sorted out, if a member of family will take me in for the 9 months i can give my house up for the time being and keep my car and pay them a little bit of rent, if no one will, i'll probably have to sell up to pay the rent!

So i won't be starting the engine swap next Sunday after CSS as i'd hoped, unless a member of family offers me a room within the week, so i'm going to be playing it by ear for now.

Also at CSS i will be getting a set of AST 1's of Nick172cup and a Trophy spoiler off someone else.

See you all at CSS.

Trafic 140dci

Best seats ever! did you have to adjust them at all to how i had them?

I think the passenger could go backwards to far forwards IMO, driver is spot on! Defiantly, so comfortable! Hense why i bit your hand off when you said about selling up :)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Sorry to hear about the shoulder op, bad times! :(

Hope all works out with somewhere to stay.

Trafic 140dci

Thanks mate, probably gonna be a while before the op, i have now decided i will finish the car, and while i'm recovering the op i will garage it and Sorn it :)

Picked this bad boy up today from a local fabricator i found:

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

I wasn't expecting Tig's this good for what i paid for it ;)

IMG_2679.jpg

K-tec's half roll cage, bolt in, as good as it is being that it's painted and uses existing mounts, this is quarter of the price ;) I know it's no full cage and isn't as safe, but for what is mainly a road car, with the occasional track day, it's ideal, main thing i wanted it for was for the harness bar TBH. Off to powder coaters Sunday ;)

If anyone is interested in one of these cages PM me...

pimp mobile Zafira

Good progress mate. This will be superb once done. Good luck with the op as well mate. When are you hoping for the ring in 2013?

Trafic 140dci

Good progress mate. This will be superb once done. Good luck with the op as well mate. When are you hoping for the ring in 2013?

I don't want to leave the country untill my shoulder is sorted TBH, need to save my money, will complete the car and then garage, only completing it as i have 90% of the parts.

Trafic 140dci

Steve got his the other day! Very impressive fit, had to squeeze it in through the front door lol

He said they were selling well (collected mine) What spec did Steve go for? Seats out to fit it i take it? What about Dash?

Seats out, dash should be fine :) we tried to fit it mine through the boot but had no luck lol

He got the same minus the harness bits.

Trafic 140dci

Seats out, dash should be fine :) we tried to fit it mine through the boot but had no luck lol

He got the same minus the harness bits.
Ah right nice one :) Shame as it would of meant his K-Tec boot matt could lay flat lol.

He said he ordered harness bar, unsure what he did. Think he plans to get something sorted to allow it to fit harness's :)

He sprayed it white, looks s**t hot imo.