ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Light use air compressor?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

We've purchased a new house just yesterday and it comes with a garage that has mains electricity running to it. I was wondering about the options for a light use air-compressor - one mainly for blowing air through a nozzle for de-dusting and general crap-clearout.

I take it that if you want an air-compressor to have the grunt to undo wheel nuts, etc - that's a whole different league of requirement?

I know nothing about them - but could see it getting used fairly regularly. Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I got a £50 Workzone one from Aldi which has been decent for blowing out the PC/PS4. Gets all the chunky dust out, just the really fine stuff it doesn't really touch.
Ended up with an extension for it so it'll reach tyres on the drive as well.

Bit noisy though 🙉

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The cheap ones are much of a muchness, some of them are clearly the exact same item with a different paint job.

I don't think you can get a 50L compressor for £50 anymore tho, closer to £150.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a cheap SGS one that's good enough for what you describe.

Air tools require massive amounts of air yes, circa 14cfm of air and a lot of volume in tank size in region of a few hundred litres.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Compressors will have a Free Air Displacement (FAD) rating in cubic feet per minute (CFM). All proper ones will kick out 10 bar and be suitable for most air tools.

Depending on the tools you'll want one that can cope, the tank size means you get more leeway with the FAD until it kicks in, but the bigger the tank the longer it takes to get up to pressure.

Depending on where and how often you'll use it I'd say try and get a silent one if budget allows.

Link

This looks pretty decent for the money and should see you OK.