ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Liquid damaged XBO

Earlier today my girlfriend spilled her cereal onto my Xbox One, unfortunately it was plugged in and therefor on standby.

It's currently upside down, on some rice. As its milk, not water, I'm expecting the worst. I'm guessing even if it does work in a few days time, the milk residue is going to cause further issues down the line?

Should I just sent it back to Microsoft and see what they say? Does anyone know how much they'd charge for a replacement console? Or should I crack it open and try clean it off first?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If you crack it open, then you'll be unable to send it off.

I would send it off, it won't be cheap, but I don't think it's something you're gonna sort yourself.

If you crack it open, then you'll be unable to send it off.

I would send it off, it won't be cheap, but I don't think it's something you're gonna sort yourself.

Yeah I did think that. Any idea how much? £100-200? If it's anymore I'd be inclined to sell all my games, pads and kinect and maybe buy a PS4.

Open an out of warranty repairs case, stating it has no power, chuck it in the post and see what they say then?

No I don't think so, as there seems to be no option to select water damage. No power carries an £80 exchange charge though

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Genuine question,

Why do you think Microsoft will do anything about it?
I didn't even know it was possible to get these repaired.

I'd have just accepted fate and binned it if it didn't turn on after trying to dry it out.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Genuine question,

Why do you think Microsoft will do anything about it?
I didn't even know it was possible to get these repaired.

I'd have just accepted fate and binned it if it didn't turn on after trying to dry it out.
They'll do something about it if you pay them - they're not gonna do it for free.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Dont be letting milk dry ffs lol
Id be cracking it ope immediately and getting a can of air in their.
Then some IPA and clean the boards. Itll be fairly easy to clean if it didnt short anything.

Didn't want to open it because I presumed there would be no chance of sending it back if the seal had been broken.

Clio 182 - RB
If it helps my PS4 recent started ejecting discs on its own causing me not to play any games, i got in contact with Sony, sent it them, got a brand new one back within 2 weeks.

I think its worth sending off.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it helps my PS4 recent started ejecting discs on its own causing me not to play any games, i got in contact with Sony, sent it them, got a brand new one back within 2 weeks.

I think its worth sending off.

That's a fault covered under warranty, covering it in milk is not.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
First off - the gf has brownie points to earn. Make of those what you will! ;)
Secondly, if it does go duff, mention your original plan to MS - that you'd sell up and get a PS4 instead. They may waver a bit of the repair cost than lose a paying gamer.

Trade it in, lose a bit of money but not too much then buy a new one.

Trade it in, and when they test it they see it's broken and then won't accept it?

So many dumb suggestions so far lol - they will spot milk damage easily - it will dry white, and stink - water is less obvious but I'm sure they have moisture indicators inside to tell if it's had water damage or not.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
If it's working now, trade it in. It will be out of his hands by the time it breaks. It's a suggestion you plank lol.

997.1, Caddy, e208
so many dumb suggestions so far lol - they will spot milk damage easily - it will dry white, and stink - water is less obvious but I'm sure they have moisture indicators inside to tell if it's had water damage or not.

No, they don't have indicators. You think the suggestion of sending it back is bad, I can tell you from experience they don't perform stringent checks on consoles at all. I've sent back consoles with shorted south bridges, PCB lacquer removed with fibreglass pens, I've even received consoles back with spoofed OSIG's.

1.8 Civic EX
If it's working now, trade it in. It will be out of his hands by the time it breaks. It's a suggestion you plank lol.

For little Jimmy who can't afford a new one, saved up all his pocket money to just about afford a second hand one to then be somewhat upset that he's bought a dud. Parents come in mighty pissed off, shop contacts you and it all goes to s**t. (ok so that probably won't happen but still, you get the point I'm trying to make I'm sure)

If it's working now then just carry on. If it does give up the ghost sell it on ebay clearly marked up as milk damaged. Put the funds towards another one and get the missus to pay up half.

Either that or go the contents insurance route as stated above depending on how much the excess is etc, it may not be worth it. That is kinda what it's for tbh.

TBF I can't understand why an xbox would be anywhere near a location that would also contain a bowl of cereal? Or does your tv/entertainment unit double up as a table or breakfast bar?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
For little Jimmy who can't afford a new one, saved up all his pocket money to just about afford a second hand one to then be somewhat upset that he's bought a dud. Parents come in mighty pissed off, shop contacts you and it all goes to s**t. (ok so that probably won't happen but still, you get the point I'm trying to make I'm sure)

I get the point your making, lifes full of dissapointment.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I wouldn't be claiming on my house insurance for a £300 console.

If it's broken just get the girlfriend to buy a new one.