ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M.O.T testers, quick question.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Failed a car today on 3x tyres (195/50 r16 XL) being split/cord exposed. Bloke went away, came back with 3x new tyres of which were not extra loaded (195/50 r16). Now am i right in saying that tyres fitted to the same axle have to be of the same structures (there is a section under tyres stating that "tyres fitted to the same axle are not of the same structures"? Basically i told him to get it sorted, didnt retest it and fail it.

He came back when i had gone home and said that the garage said they are fine and that Extra loaded tyres can only fail on commercial vehicles (this was a Clio 3 btw) they even rang vosa apparently to check.

Ian_R

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk3 Megane 250
I believe they only have to be the same size. Which in his case were, but on the same token every tester interprets the MOT regs differently, and in your case you failed it. (No i am not a tester - but have a fair understanding)

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
When it says construction o think it means you can't mix radial and cross ply tyres and you can't put different sizes on the same axle. I think as long as the tyres meet or exceed the minimum load and speed rating for the vehicle its ok.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yea done a bit of digging today, loaded tyres only come applicable to class 5 to 7 vehicles. Oh wel bloke came back with 4 matching tyres. I faking hate the mot manual, its shite.