ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M135i - Estoril Blue Loveliness

An orange one
Only good thing about the M135i is the ZF box. The car itself left me utterly cold. Best colour though.

I still fail to see how, as a petrol head you cannot see the appeal?!

Its subtle, bloody fast, comfortable, handles well, economical for the performance on offer, and a bit of a bargain at under £30k with discounts...

Even though dad has a new M3 on order for June, I fail to see how as a road car it can justify being TWICE the price of the M135i?????? I say it again... TWICE!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I still fail to see how, as a petrol head you cannot see the appeal?!

Its subtle, bloody fast, comfortable, handles well, economical for the performance on offer, and a bit of a bargain at under £30k with discounts...

Even though dad has a new M3 on order for June, I fail to see how as a road car it can justify being TWICE the price of the M135i?????? I say it again... TWICE!

Hideous looks, didn't like the driving position, crap boot, not a huge amount of space for passengers, Interior was more modern for sure, but the dials looked like they were plucked from an E36.

£30k aye, bare, my spec would be close to £40k! It's a fake M, as well, diluting the M brand! Not a fan of the direction BMW has taken with the car. Sure it's fast and would give mine a run for its money, but i still view it dispassionately! - You're welcome to it! (P.s. At least your Dad has taste and faith in the M brand)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Hideous looks, didn't like the driving position, crap boot, not a huge amount of space for passengers, Interior was more modern for sure, but the dials looked like they were plucked from an E36.

£30k aye, bare, my spec would be close to £40k! It's a fake M, as well, diluting the M brand! Not a fan of the direction BMW has taken with the car. Sure it's fast and would give mine a run for its money, but i still view it dispassionately! - You're welcome to it! (P.s. At least your Dad has taste and faith in the M brand)

Someones been watching top gear! Its hardly diluting the M brand its not branded as an M1 issit? its branded asif it was an audi S apposed to an RS. It a tame version of an M/// effectivly for someone who doesnt want something as hard or as expensive to run yet can still have some of the performance. People seem to like this whole dont like the route BMW are taking, well open your eyes BMW seem to be everywhere so there new 'branding' seems to have paid off hugely. At the end of the day a 'fake M' is a bmw that someones stuck a M badge on issit not? If it comes out the factory it cant be fake! Spec a golf R, spec an s3 spec the new little amg there all in the sameish bracket. Pricing has just gone up thats life! The days off getting a good hot hatch for under 25k are gone

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Someones been watching top gear! Its hardly diluting the M brand its not branded as an M1 issit? its branded asif it was an audi S apposed to an RS. It a tame version of an M/// effectivly for someone who doesnt want something as hard or as expensive to run yet can still have some of the performance. People seem to like this whole dont like the route BMW are taking, well open your eyes BMW seem to be everywhere so there new 'branding' seems to have paid off hugely. At the end of the day a 'fake M' is a bmw that someones stuck a M badge on issit not? If it comes out the factory it cant be fake! Spec a golf R, spec an s3 spec the new little amg there all in the sameish bracket. Pricing has just gone up thats life! The days off getting a good hot hatch for under 25k are gone

You missed Ali's point of it being too close to an M car.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
What?

You stated there are no good hot-hatches below £25k.

What has your question above got to do with your previous statement?

Okay well ill retract what i meant is a hot hatch with the same style, for example you couldnt put a fiesta st in the same bracket as an m135i if you see what i mean

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Okay well ill retract what i meant is a hot hatch with the same style, for example you couldnt put a fiesta st in the same bracket as an m135i if you see what i mean

Of course not. The m135 isn't a hot hatch in the traditional sense, the fiesta is. Different class of car, silly point. I can't name a GTR rival for less than £25k. Doesn't mean there aren't any good performance cars for less than 25k.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The days off getting a good hot hatch for under 25k are gone

Name me one hot hatch that can be had brand new with the options that a bmw, audi or merc come with as standard?

Not sure if serious!!!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I think I know where he is coming at, to a degree.

Prices of cars have risen.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Hot hatches are dead in the water I'm afraid...

due to euro emissions regs manufactures now have to use turbo charged engines for power plus mpg to meet the new regs.

hot hatches died shortly after they discounted the EP3 type r.

As for the new fiesta being classed as a hot hatch, laughable!!!! Glorified shopping trolley perhaps!!!

Also people are getting more tied up in optional extras, gadgets etc rather than a true drivers car.

nice 135i by the way....

Suzuki Jimny

due to euro emissions regs manufactures now have to use turbo charged engines for power plus mpg to meet the new regs.

As for the new fiesta being classed as a hot hatch, laughable!!!! Glorified shopping trolley perhaps!!!

Also people are getting more tied up in optional extras, gadgets etc rather than a true drivers car.

nice 135i by the way....

200 not enough of a hot hatch?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Not sure exactly why you've quoted me. You've ignored the point I'm making in entirety.

Can't be bothered arguing as I'm on an iPad, but suffice to say, I've driven the car extensively, i didn't like it. And I despise the name.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

nice 135i by the way....

Hot hatch (shortened from hot hatchback) is a high-performance derivative of a car body style consisting of a three- or five-door hatchbackautomobile.
Vehicles of this class are based on family-orientated automobiles, and are equipped with an uprated more powerful internal combustion engine, improved suspension, and may also include additional 'aerodynamic' body parts and larger wheels and tyres. Front-mounted petrol engines, together with front-wheel drive, is the most common powertrain layout, although some can be specified as diesel-powered, and rearor four-wheel drive hot hatches are also available.

To me. The Fiesta is a hot hatch?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Blue is definitely the best colour for these. Tbh, if I was spec'ing one I'd probably have picked this exact spec.

Though I aint ready to grow up quite yet.

DB.

BMW 440i
Hot hatch (shortened from hot hatchback) is a high-performance derivative of a car body style consisting of a three- or five-door hatchbackautomobile.
Vehicles of this class are based on family-orientated automobiles, and are equipped with an uprated more powerful internal combustion engine, improved suspension, and may also include additional 'aerodynamic' body parts and larger wheels and tyres. Front-mounted petrol engines, together with front-wheel drive, is the most common powertrain layout, although some can be specified as diesel-powered, and rearor four-wheel drive hot hatches are also available.

To me. The Fiesta is a hot hatch?

same page describes the focus ST as being a hot hatch, not a Fiesta as we are in a new era of hot hatches. The fiesta is more of a warm hatch IMO

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Lovely, grown on me, seen one parked up the other day at work, very nice. Only problem is they look nothing like what you would expect an "M" to be or is it just me?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
same page describes the focus ST as being a hot hatch, not a Fiesta as we are in a new era of hot hatches. The fiesta is more of a warm hatch IMO

Fiesta is for gays so i keep being told.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

So because you won't die if you crash it at 20mph it's not fun anymore?

Ridiculous statement to make. One that 99% of the motoring press would disagree with you on. Have you driven one?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
So because you won't die if you crash it at 20mph it's not fun anymore?

Ridiculous statement to make. One that 99% of the motoring press would disagree with you on. Have you driven one?

Did not make any assumption on safety chap. I was referring to gadgets and extras.

and yes I have driven the new ST2 and EP2 and I hate them. The press can jump up and down and rave about it but at the end of the day, I am the customer who has to live with it.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Gadgets and extras define the very essence of being a hot hatch now do they? LMFAO

What about the balance, response, feel and feedback?

New hot hatches don't have that balance and no gadgets do not define a hot hatch. Perhaps I'm just getting old and not
moved with the times....

The voice of reason.

All of you would kill for one so STFU.

OP - great car, nice spec, enjoy it. Wave at all the "hot hatches" as you pass.

yes your right so I will now shut up lol bit I think I will stick with my AMG thanks rather than a 135i

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Do they have the rear plug in the boot also, to allow the 'golf tee' mod?

Not sure to be honest, would imagine there's something somewhere as it opens/closes on start up/sport mode etc.

Fck running it in! Get it driven hard lol.

I'm driving it fairly sensibly, have explored a little over 4k now, but not repeatedly. I blame Budgie entirely.

Only good thing about the M135i is the ZF box. The car itself left me utterly cold. Best colour though.

Ali said:
It's a fake M, as well, diluting the M brand!
Ali said:
I despise the name.

Various points, that ill try to cover in turn.

Looks wise, i dont mind it, reminds me of the Z3M coupe, which was ugly beautiful, straight on from the rear, its rank, but most other places i think it looks ok, especially from the side. Colour more than makes up for it/stops you looking too closely at the shape lol. Driving position is generally fine for me, typical BMW, although i do always find that with manual seats i always want a position in-between the settings (same in this ffs), so electric would have been better. The boot is more than fine, much bigger than my old R32 & certainly better than the Mini's!! Passenger space im not bothered about, the GP has 2 seats, & i sit in the front anyways. Interiors ok, im not bothered if it looks like an e36/46, i love both those cars :eek:

Its a fake ///M? Well yes i suppose it is in some peoples opinions, i guess thats why most car savvy owners either call it an M-Lite or drop the ///M entirely (i tend to). Its not trying to be an ///M though imho, its like a Focus ST, with the Focus RS being the ///M. They dont make an ///M hatchback at the moment, so people naturally assume that this is whats its trying to be. I dont think it is, but they should have called it the 135i as per the previous 130i.

Would i prefer an M3? Probably, but that wouldnt have cost me £285 a month, tax included, with probably no requirement for servicing/tyres over the next 2 years/20k miles. It would also cost twice as much to insure, & likely do half the mpg. I know this as before i ordered the 135i i was seriously considering changing to an e90 M3, but as someone who is trying to be remotely sensible at the moment, it just wasnt the right thing to do.

Personally, for considerably less than an M3, id rather have the M135i and the GP anyway.

Lovely, grown on me, seen one parked up the other day at work, very nice. Only problem is they look nothing like what you would expect an "M" to be or is it just me?

As above, in my opinion, its just a hot hatch with a BMW badge.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not sure to be honest, would imagine there's something somewhere as it opens/closes on start up/sport mode etc.

I'm driving it fairly sensibly, have explored a little over 4k now, but not repeatedly. I blame Budgie entirely.

Various points, that ill try to cover in turn.

Looks wise, i dont mind it, reminds me of the Z3M coupe, which was ugly beautiful, straight on from the rear, its rank, but most other places i think it looks ok, especially from the side. Colour more than makes up for it/stops you looking too closely at the shape lol. Driving position is generally fine for me, typical BMW, although i do always find that with manual seats i always want a position in-between the settings (same in this ffs), so electric would have been better. The boot is more than fine, much bigger than my old R32 & certainly better than the Mini's!! Passenger space im not bothered about, the GP has 2 seats, & i sit in the front anyways. Interiors ok, im not bothered if it looks like an e36/46, i love both those cars :eek:

Its a fake ///M? Well yes i suppose it is in some peoples opinions, i guess thats why most car savvy owners either call it an M-Lite or drop the ///M entirely (i tend to). Its not trying to be an ///M though imho, its like a Focus ST, with the Focus RS being the ///M. They dont make an ///M hatchback at the moment, so people naturally assume that this is whats its trying to be. I dont think it is, but they should have called it the 135i as per the previous 130i.

Would i prefer an M3? Probably, but that wouldnt have cost me £285 a month, tax included, with probably no requirement for servicing/tyres over the next 2 years/20k miles. It would also cost twice as much to insure, & likely do half the mpg. I know this as before i ordered the 135i i was seriously considering changing to an e90 M3, but as someone who is trying to be remotely sensible at the moment, it just wasnt the right thing to do.

Personally, for considerably less than an M3, id rather have the M135i and the GP anyway.

As above, in my opinion, its just a hot hatch with a BMW badge.

I think your responses are very fair Dave and evidently yours (not influenced by Chris Harris!)

I completely agree that the car should have been called a 135i like the model it replaced. Similarly the M235i etc. No need to stick an M in front!

Like Waitey's post, there are a number of great BMW's coming out (Performance wise) that are, in some respects taking the shine away from the ///M Brand. Now from a marketing point of view, the M135i is spot on, and the customer base is evidently there! It's only ///M owners that are getting a little twitched. I probably wouldn't take on an M135i or 335D if i seen one for fear of coming off 2nd best!

Now, i drove the M135i with a formed opinion of hate and 75% of me was right for the reason's set out above, some of which are superficial because I’m a tart. The motor whilst boring is very effective and i would imagine the tuners will be able to extract some serious gogo from it! Similarly the box is supreme! Big thumbs up!

The days of N/A are over (Sadly) i guess at some point i will have to go Turbo...

In conclusion..........I truly hope the new M3 and M4 is a corker, or all ///M owners will weep into their cereal forever more!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Is it not fair that a car that was developed with the input of ///M can be badged as such?

Do you also have a dislike for ///M+Sport packages, which aren't performance based?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Is it not fair that a car that was developed with the input of ///M can be badged as such?

Do you also have a dislike for ///M+Sport packages, which aren't performance based?

As far as I'm aware, there are only a couple? M135i M235i. The others are M pack or M sport! Big difference, as that's just a marketing exercise!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Just discussing round the subject really. The packages still result in the ///M badge on the car, just not next to the model designation.

The first ever fast 5 and 6 series were the M535 and M635 if I remember correctly, as the engine was supplied by the Motorsport division but not the 'car', similar to the modern M135 and M235.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
BMW should just drop the M3/4 and let the M135 be their jewel! Then everyone who wants a proper motor can buy an AMG ha.

An orange one
This should be moved into the other M135i discussion and let this topic be about Dave's car IMO