ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Pro - Glossy or Antiglare screen?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Will be ordering an MBP today and wondered what peoples' opinions of the available screen options are?

I've seen the glossy and antiglare (matte) screens side by side and the glossy definitely looks a lot better. Blacks are much deeper and to me the glare didn't look too bad.
However, I've been reading various forums / discussions on the internet and a lot of people are saying that the glare is very intrusive and that the antiglare option is better, especially if you're going to use the MBP outside or in a very well lit office.

At the moment I'm swaying towards the hi-res glossy display, but I'm interested to know other peoples' opinions.

So:

Which screen do you have?
Where do you use the machine most?
How do you find the display? Is there much glare? If so, does it get intrusive?

Oil Burner
I've got the 13 mbp, with standard screen (lower res and not standard glossy screen)

I wouldnt have the higher res option as truthfully there is no need for it. I use the laptop mainly for processing images at events, and its limited more by screen size than res. I cant see any gain to be made with a higher res screen. Maybe on a larger screen size?

I also have the standard gloss screen and its fine, but i've not seen an anti glare screen.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'll be going for a 15" model. Plus I like to have everything as small as possible so I can fit more crap onto the screen at once. For me, higher resolution is worth it even if the actual screen size is the same.

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
i was told the non-glossy comes in high res too. i got the standard glossy display with my 15 MBP as i was already on a tight budget and the option was an extra £160 or something like that!

however, having said that i wish i'd saved a little more and got the non-glossy as i like to move around with my laptop (beauty of having a laptop i guess) and the glossy screen sometimes makes it incredibly frustrating when theres even a hint of a light behind you somewhere.

I've just got the standard 13" model, which is glossy.

Seems fine so far, I just move it a little bit, or tilt the screen if there's any reflection. Also, the screen is quite bright, so this helps alot.

Afaik, you can only get the matte/high res on the 15" & 17"?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Glossy. No question.

The matte screen has a horrible silver border around the screen.

I agree, the glossy one does look way better in comparison. In the end, that's what I went for.
I decided to go to the Apple store at Meadowhall rather than just ordering one online without actually seeing the difference in the flesh.

In the end, I went for the following spec:

- 15" hi-res glossy screen
- 2.66GHz Intel i7 processor
- Standard 4GB RAM (I'll upgrade this when memory prices fall a bit)
- 128GB solid state drive (I wanted a solid state drive for performance reasons, but didn't see the point in buying a bigger drive until they come down in price)
- NVidia GeForce 330M with 512MB memory
- Magic mouse for when I'm sat at my desk
- Mini display port to DVI adapter in case I want to output films to my TV. It's a shame there's no HDMI option.

They didn't have that exact spec in stock so I've got to wait for it to be built and shipped out to me. Should take 2-3 days apparently.

/excited.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That's a great spec for a 15".

Similar to mine, apart from the SSD option. I've got a 500GB HDD.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I wasn't too fussed about overall storage space on the laptop. I have a Drobo with 3 x 1TB disks and 1 x 2TB disk in it so I've got over 3.5TB of available storage when I need it, plus redundancy should a drive fail. I was more bothered about performance, hence why I went for the solid state drive.
As I mentioned above, I'll upgrade the memory and HDD capacity when the RAM and SSD drives' come down in price a bit or when somewhere has a decent offer on.
Been after an MBP for a while to replace my Mac Mini and my current 3 year old Dell laptop so now the specs have been revised and the laptop has finally died a death I thought it's about time I got one.

I also played with a Magic Mouse for the first time while in the Apple store. They're awesome, I had to get one.