ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mark 1 Track Car - Trophy Red 172 Project

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
they're great little cars but they require a fair amount of...love shall we say, and persistence to keep them up to par!
rust is the main issue though tbh, everything else is surmountable with relative ease

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
That's what does make me reluctant to be honest. Got a 172 Cup currently and eventually plan to turn it into a rally car. However, I would imagine the MK1 is a little lighter and (most importantly) looks way cooler, so I would prefer to start with one of those. Just don't much fancy spending weeks welding it back together before I even start modifying though.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
its just the age mainly going against them @massivewangers she's 24 this year so knocking on a bit!
I do like the mk2, I run a 182 daily and had a couple of phase 1 172's as well, but they just don't float my boat like a mk1 does, I trust myself more with the mk1 chassis and handling and as you mention, they look the nuts (imo of course!) but the mk2 components in mine complement it wonderfully and give me more flexibility for modifications etc as parts are more readily available. best of both worlds...once I've sorted the rotten sill!lol!

Im definitely going to run full 172 running gear and looms in mine, next time your at yours if you could get a pic of the rear lights/front lights/wiper motor wiring that would be handy! are you running a heater in this or is looped?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
@midge I'll see what I can do but I'll have to strip the looms back again as I wrapped them all after the splicing, may not be for a bit as weathers s**t etc! lol!
As for the cooling circuit think its just less hoses, there no loop that I can remember but I'll grab some pics of that as well when next under the bonnet. But no I don't run any heater/blower

Mk1 F4R
Have you done any modification to the 182 manifold? I've tried one in mine and it doesn't fit without being cut or the exhaust tunnel being modified, sits about 10mm from the block and also hits the anti roll bar

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
not yet @AdamAnderton not tried to fit it yet, but plan is to just mod what I need to. Pete Withers has got one on his and he said, and I quote, 'it just bolted straight on'

so we'll see!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
24-01-2017 - Turbines Powdercoated

Not much been going on last week or two as frankly its just been too cold. Been meaning to remove the subframe to have a stab at getting the 182 manifold on but so far cba!

As such all I did is get the turbines to the coaters last week and popped up this morning to collect them. Decent enough job for the price, I wasn't after an immaculate finish or i'd of had them painted properly but its a track car so tidy is good enough. Will be getting the NS2-R's fitted Saturday.

_20170124_091940_zpslduos6w2.jpg

DSC_1352_zpsvginm1wk.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
love these wheels.. i remember seeing a Renault 19 with them and just couldn't stop staring at it whilst it was sat in traffic... Many moons ago!!
the 19 turbines are actually slightly different, they are more of an 8 spoke angular design than the clio ones and the main face is flatter where the cap sits, recessed almost. Unless of course you mean the R19 had the clio wheels fitted to it!lol!

the 19 turbines are actually slightly different, they are more of an 8 spoke angular design than the clio ones and the main face is flatter where the cap sits, recessed almost. Unless of course you mean the R19 had the clio wheels fitted to it!lol!

to be totally honest with you, I have no idea which set it was, but they look gangster! None or this 22" Chrome crap 😂

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
28-01-2017 NS-2R's Fitted

Self explanatory tbh, got the tyres fitted today, 195/50 R15 as I've always found the 45 profile to look too 'ribbony'
Was hoping to begin removing subframe etc but ended up chin wagging with Dan longer than expected and checking out his mk1 225 megane engine/gearbox conversion.

DSC_1368_zpsq2okcob9.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
29-01-2017 - 182 Manifold Fitting

Okay so decided despite the fairly rubbish weather that I would make a start on fitting the 182 Manifold to the car.

As the manifold is much longer than the 172 setup, its a subframe off job to fit it, so that was todays plan. I wasn't hoping to get everything done but at least get cracking!

So first job...........fit the stud conversion to the rear axle and put the new wheels on!lol! Excuse the very rusty disc, cars been sat since last April...oops!
The conversion was for standard length bolts supposedly, but fits fine with the 10mm spacers, plenty of threads on and tbh the turbine centre cap only just goes over at that. As such I am going to have to order some 10mm smaller studs for the front axle as I don't run spacers up there.

Anyway, pics, mid fitting...

DSC_1369_zpsxqn8agty.jpg

Fitted with wheel

DSC_1371_zpsjseqxqvo.jpg

DSC_1370_zpsc6ddyx6a.jpg

Then cracked on removing the subframe, relatively simple job on one of these in this state of stripped. plus I've had it apart a fair few times. So bumper off, then 13mm x2 for braces, 16mm x2 front frame bolts, 17mm gearbox mount, remove dog-bone and gear linkage, 16mm x2 pinch bolts for ball joints, 16mm x2 track rods and free from hubs, 13mm pinch on column to rack. and tah-dah

DSC_1372_zps80zrz7te.jpg

Existing setup as it look on the car

DSC_1376_zpsveejkbrw.jpg

DSC_1377_zpsnzmb2ofi.jpg

DSC_1378_zpselb9zcys.jpg

and removed, leaving the standard fit clio 16v cat back exhaust on the car

DSC_1379_zpsfly3ys00.jpg

and then laid them up side by side to get a feel for difference

DSC_1381_zpslcwwyilh.jpg

DSC_1382_zpshld6ppqu.jpg

Plan is to now fit the 182 manifold as it stands, offer up subframe and ensure it all clears. If all okay, I will then remove it once more and send both exhausts to the engineering place so they can remake the link pipe much shorter to fit the new manifold

more next weekend hopefully!

cheers

Ben

Clio Williams
29-01-2017 - 182 Manifold Fitting

Okay so decided despite the fairly rubbish weather that I would make a start on fitting the 182 Manifold to the car.

As the manifold is much longer than the 172 setup, its a subframe off job to fit it, so that was todays plan. I wasn't hoping to get everything done but at least get cracking!

So first job...........fit the stud conversion to the rear axle and put the new wheels on!lol! Excuse the very rusty disc, cars been sat since last April...oops!
The conversion was for standard length bolts supposedly, but fits fine with the 10mm spacers, plenty of threads on and tbh the turbine centre cap only just goes over at that. As such I am going to have to order some 10mm smaller studs for the front axle as I don't run spacers up there.

Anyway, pics, mid fitting...

DSC_1369_zpsxqn8agty.jpg

Fitted with wheel

DSC_1371_zpsjseqxqvo.jpg

DSC_1370_zpsc6ddyx6a.jpg

Then cracked on removing the subframe, relatively simple job on one of these in this state of stripped. plus I've had it apart a fair few times. So bumper off, then 13mm x2 for braces, 16mm x2 front frame bolts, 17mm gearbox mount, remove dog-bone and gear linkage, 16mm x2 pinch bolts for ball joints, 16mm x2 track rods and free from hubs, 13mm pinch on column to rack. and tah-dah

DSC_1372_zps80zrz7te.jpg

Existing setup as it look on the car

DSC_1376_zpsveejkbrw.jpg

DSC_1377_zpsnzmb2ofi.jpg

DSC_1378_zpselb9zcys.jpg

and removed, leaving the standard fit clio 16v cat back exhaust on the car

DSC_1379_zpsfly3ys00.jpg

and then laid them up side by side to get a feel for difference

DSC_1381_zpslcwwyilh.jpg

DSC_1382_zpshld6ppqu.jpg

Plan is to now fit the 182 manifold as it stands, offer up subframe and ensure it all clears. If all okay, I will then remove it once more and send both exhausts to the engineering place so they can remake the link pipe much shorter to fit the new manifold

more next weekend hopefully!

cheers

Ben
Could the 172 or 182 manifold fit a Williams or is the anti roll bar in the way
If so can you retro fit the 172/182 anti roll bar setup to a Williams.
Would be a great mod as I believe the Williams manifold is really restrictive.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Wouldn't fit the f7 engine without some modding and then no idea if angle off back of engine be same to fit. Power steering rack solid pipework may be in the way also (I run manual so pipes are just bent out way )

Clio Williams
Wouldn't fit the f7 engine without some modding and then no idea if angle off back of engine be same to fit. Power steering rack solid pipework may be in the way also (I run manual so pipes are just bent out way )
I've seen a chap on the Irish Backroads forum start to fit a 172 manifold, which he extended the headers and managed to fit it but then went off the radar, so never actually saw the finished article.
Shame!!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yeah i think I've heard of people trying, but it would defo be a bit of work to get it all to align correctly

and I still don't actually know if the 182 version will fit the mark 1 chassis/subframe. I've heard two reports of fitting, one went straight on and one wouldn't fit supposedly by two different 'modders'

as such I will see......

I ran a 172 Anti roll bar on my old mk1 which was running an F4R and Williams track.
The 182 manifold will fit with the F4R engine and a 172/182 anti roll bar.
Im currently using a williams ARB with 172 track and F7R engine

Clio Williams
I ran a 172 Anti roll bar on my old mk1 which was running an F4R and Williams track.
🙈🙈🙈

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

Yeah Smokey Pete says it fits as he's got one on his, but Adam Anderton seems to think it fouls as he couldn't get it to clear, both 172 engine and arb as far as I know

Mike Woodford is running a 182 manifold, i offered one up to mine with out issue, Adam must have had a williams/valver anti roll bar, there is enough space!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Good news, either way I'm going to trial fit first as it'll be easier take both to machine shop to make the mods and least at that point I know it's fitting before I hack up the working 172 kit, lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
05-02-2017 - Subframe Cleanup
Decided to do few more bits on the car today, the subframe assembly was powdercoated around 3 years ago ish when I first completed the car, so a cleanup was in order whilst it was off the shed!
Gunk and the pressure washer ftw!

Before:

DSC_1408_zpszzyieiql.jpg

DSC_1409_zpsqir1layf.jpg

During:
DSC_1411_zpsbsqghdla.jpg

After:
DSC_1413_zpsxrdnapuw.jpg

There is a common fault too with mk1 steering rack bushes, only affects the power steering equipped cars but they essentially perish over time and lead to play in the steering. They are nla from Renault but chap in Europe has copied them and made some worthy 'knock offs' so grabbed a set.
New bushes:
DSC_1410_zpsvyabdqlu.jpg

Rack off:
DSC_1418_zpszx6rb9au.jpg

Old fubar bushes:
DSC_1417_zps6ouiltix.jpg

Refitted:
DSC_1420_zpskhy2yogd.jpg

I also removed all the excess pipework from the rack and intend to get the old fittings spot welded up to seal them. So small weight saving in pipes and a random bracket
DSC_1419_zpsbqkxfodr.jpg

And finally I painted the heat wrapped 182 manifold ready to fit for clearance testing :)
DSC_1415_zpstqg6fx4f.jpg

More to come

Cheers
Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
06-02-2017 - Battery!

Nothing major but acquired a gel battery for the car, 6.7kg instead of 11.4kg as bit of weight saved!

DSC_1427_zpsooflubmt.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
14-02-2017 - Test Fit 182 Manifold

Slightly late with this update, but got the 182 manifold onto the car today, she's a snug fit but once I refitted the subframe on its main mounts and got the dogbone mount back on she's there.

DSC_1468_zpsotxj0of0.jpg

DSC_1473_zpseeogy2hr.jpg

DSC_1474_zpswaa8hfoz.jpg

Then got a shot of how it lines up to the rest of the system, I need to make up a short decat of around 25cm in length and also move the lambda to the decat and weld up the hole in the manifold looking at it as its just fouling on the shifter linkage which is a pain!
also appears that the centre section is too low but won't raise any higher without hitting the bodywork so the decat will have to account for this and not just the straight.

DSC_1472_zpshqpjfray.jpg

I then frustratingly had to pay the price for my own stupidity, I purchased another car this weekend, an Odyssey phase 1 which I needed to get onto the drive, behind the track car. So I had to refit the old 172 manifold and the entire subframe assembly once again to move the car off the drive.

so took a moody bumpeer and bonnetless pic and a close up of the open front of the car is its just interesting to see it all from that angle!

DSC_1475_zpsh4aump82.jpg

IMG-20170214-WA0026_zpspbom37b4.jpg

So the cars back running currently but I need to sort the 182 manifold and then remove subframe again to fit it all once I've had the link pipe made up

cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Few more bits done recently, chased a load of issues with electrics out, mainly down to kippered relays and earth points needing cleaning.

So, fitted the gel battery, kept original location as cba wiring it inside

DSC_1987_zpsxive7n7e.jpg

fitted the mocal oil cooler
DSC_1988_zpsgwrimsvn.jpg

DSC_1992_zpsnyrcoius.jpg

skinned and drilled the bumper as #trackcar, lol!

IMG-20170422-WA0053_zpsizrf0n4n.jpg

DSC_1993_zpsmhcnvx6h.jpg

finished bay bar bit of cleaning and painting when I get round to it

DSC_1995_zpswyxcv6wm.jpg

and the knackered sill that's to be chopped and welded within next few weeks ;)

DSC_2004_zpsyhi5jwkv.jpg

DSC_2006_zpsciufeosk.jpg

after that, I've got the braided fuel lines to fit, swap to the none aux tank fuel filler from the other car and sort the breathers out

then refit the 182 exhaust, get the decat link made up for it and get her on the rollers to see how she fuels

cheers

Ben