ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I can’t imagine a car which both develops less than 300lbft AND is geared to over 200mph is going to be particularly peppy tbh.
Yeah manual ratios ain't great, 2nd/3rd and that's about it unless you want a trip straight to jail [emoji23]
4.1 or 4.4fd would make a massive difference but then cruising speeds are silly RPM and even worse mpg lol

DCT is a little better being 7spd

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not the exact same car but good side by side comparisons of the manual and the auto. I'm a manual gearbox man myself but the 8 speed auto looks a cracking gearbox.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sort of mate.

I suspect Mark would be better placed to comment as it's his car, but when I had a go in it the gears felt absolutely fine.

It has the same ratios (as far as I can tell) as my M4, which is 70 in 2nd, nearly 110 in 3rd (M4 has a higher rev limit) and something daft like 140 in 4th.

Would it be more fun with shorter ratios? Actually I think it would ruin it, it's not a zingy engine that you have to keep in a sweet spot to be fast, it's f**king rampant and you can't go flat in 2nd out of a corner (with road tyres at least) as it'll light the rears.

I think they're short enough, any shorter and you'd need a ridiculously big jump from 5th to 6th.

As it is I get to 40 in 1st, 70 in 2nd, 105 in 3rd and then the revs barely drop into 4th which then holds on until 130.

2nd is more than enough if you want to wring it out, and 3rd from walking pace to over 100 is all you ever need really.

All round I think they've got it about right.

Just came across this on another forum by an actual mechanic, might be of use to you

Finally the results of my testing are in. This is a well known and common issue. The B58 is fitted to the M140i amongst others. It’s very common to remove the oil filter cap and discover the oil filter in pieces. I’ve certainly seen a few myself! The filter design is unusual. The lowest piece has a plastic washer with a large external O ring. The uppermost end has a small internal O ring. It’s common when removing the cap to find a shredded end comes out with it, leaving the rest in the filter housing. I’m now sure that the problem starts at new oil filter installation. It’s usual practice to fit the filter to the cap and then screw the whole lot into the housing on the engine. Don’t do this! I’m convinced that when the large O ring meets its register the rotational drag increases beyond what the paper element can withstand, and it tears. Consequently you run a whole service mileage with a ripped oil filter. I’ve done a few now where I’ve lubricated both ends of the new filter, fitted the filter to the engine and then screwed the cap into place over the fitted filter. Now these cars are coming back in for oil service and the filters are coming out intact. The dealers are doing it wrong in my opinion. Might not be many people out there doing their own servicing on these yet, but hopefully this might help in the future

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
20k miles with a shredded paper filter would mean at least some particles in the oil as well I would think?

From what I've read on other forums people haven't found any debris in their old oil which would suggest breakup during removal?

Last edited:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just came across this on another forum by an actual mechanic, might be of use to you

Finally the results of my testing are in. This is a well known and common issue. The B58 is fitted to the M140i amongst others. It’s very common to remove the oil filter cap and discover the oil filter in pieces. I’ve certainly seen a few myself! The filter design is unusual. The lowest piece has a plastic washer with a large external O ring. The uppermost end has a small internal O ring. It’s common when removing the cap to find a shredded end comes out with it, leaving the rest in the filter housing. I’m now sure that the problem starts at new oil filter installation. It’s usual practice to fit the filter to the cap and then screw the whole lot into the housing on the engine. Don’t do this! I’m convinced that when the large O ring meets its register the rotational drag increases beyond what the paper element can withstand, and it tears. Consequently you run a whole service mileage with a ripped oil filter. I’ve done a few now where I’ve lubricated both ends of the new filter, fitted the filter to the engine and then screwed the cap into place over the fitted filter. Now these cars are coming back in for oil service and the filters are coming out intact. The dealers are doing it wrong in my opinion. Might not be many people out there doing their own servicing on these yet, but hopefully this might help in the future
If they go in dry you will tear them, if you oil both ends and put it into the filter top, you won't.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
How much oil have you used Mark? I had a warning today on mine that it is at the minimum level and please top up a litre. Engine has done 13k miles so to me that seems excessive.
Annoying thing is that it is booked in for its first service in two weeks. I am a little reluctant to top it up for them to just drain it. I will do it if needed just seems wastful. Although I phoned up the dealer to see what they suggest. Kid in the service department was a little confused and asked what is it reading on the dipstick, it doesn't have one and he was more confused by that. Asked if a technican could phone me and his response was "no, they don't call customers but I can try". Not a problem as I can not use it and use my 5 series once the brakes are back on it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
How much oil have you used Mark? I had a warning today on mine that it is at the minimum level and please top up a litre. Engine has done 13k miles so to me that seems excessive.
Annoying thing is that it is booked in for its first service in two weeks. I am a little reluctant to top it up for them to just drain it. I will do it if needed just seems wastful. Although I phoned up the dealer to see what they suggest. Kid in the service department was a little confused and asked what is it reading on the dipstick, it doesn't have one and he was more confused by that. Asked if a technican could phone me and his response was "no, they don't call customers but I can try". Not a problem as I can not use it and use my 5 series once the brakes are back on it.

How many miles are you going to do in the next 2 weeks?

It's fine to leave it a few hundred miles but I'd go easy, even though it's the 'minimum' it's designed to be run to that and then topped up. Certainly doesn't sound excessive in 13k miles. My M135i took a couple of litres of topping up over my ownership and my M4 has had 2 litres in 11000 miles so far.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
No more than 100 I think and that is an over estimate, I am working from home and am not going anywhere.
It did say "at your earliesy convenience" in the message so it wasn't like pull over now or else.
I haven't read what the consumption is on these engines, I was going on experience of other oil usage but I know all engines are different.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No more than 100 I think and that is an over estimate, I am working from home and am not going anywhere.
It did say "at your earliesy convenience" in the message so it wasn't like pull over now or else.
I haven't read what the consumption is on these engines, I was going on experience of other oil usage but I know all engines are different.

Yeah that'll be fine. The car takes over 6L of oil IIRC so 1 litre is less of a big deal than it would be in a car that only takes 4.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
1 litre in 13000 miles is not excessive. Pretty sure their tolerance is 1 litre every 3000miles. You do understand that modern turbo engines have to consume some oil by default.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that'll be fine. The car takes over 6L of oil IIRC so 1 litre is less of a big deal than it would be in a car that only takes 4.
First time I changed the oil in my E34 I drained just over 3ltr out and put in nearly 7....no idea how it was running before I changed it
1 litre in 13000 miles is not excessive. Pretty sure their tolerance is 1 litre every 3000miles. You do understand that modern turbo engines have to consume some oil by default.
Yeah I get that, just didn't know how much was too much as its the first modern engine I have had.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2

Are you on the servicing plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Nope, I’m just getting it done when it is needed. Feels wrong giving it to someone to service when they are only changing the oil and filters.

Ahhh just you get free top ups-

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've not checked my oil for a long time...I've not had a top up warning ever. I do recall giving it some before a trackday last year though, just to be sure.

I'll check it again and top up if necessary before I hit Bedford in August.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Looks a great bit of kit that Mark!

Like, but really good!

Think the 'proper' is a go pro captured sound and video better than the session.

Didn't realise the nice induction and dump noises these have from outside either

320d
The ZF8 is an amazing box. I’ve got it in my 330d which is mapped running 331bhp and 500 lb ft and it really is a quick daily.

I test drove an auto M140i and short of sounding nicer it felt no more fun than my 330d.

I suspect the locking diff and manual box goes a long way to sort that so I wouldn’t be too upset about losing that second. A map on the manual m140i would be interesting to see if it catches or overtakes the ZF on the standard map.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So where does your tow hook go that is a 'requirement' to have attached during a trackday?!

In the anchor point that doesn't have the GoPro mount screwed into it?

Or, like they do at Goodwood, in your glovebox. It's not a 'requirement' to have it fitted, they don't know if they're going to need to pull your car from the tyre wall from the front or back anchor point, so have it to hand is all they say.

Makes sense to me. Fit it to the front, bury your front end in some tyres, you then have no tow hook!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cool video Mark, both epic cars. If I was to guess I would have said under braking Bd corners the 140 would be better. Straight line obviously the m4

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Jesus Goodwood looks boring, can’t understand why people rave about it, and that’s before you get to the price!

The ZF8 is an amazing box. I’ve got it in my 330d which is mapped running 331bhp and 500 lb ft and it really is a quick daily.

I test drove an auto M140i and short of sounding nicer it felt no more fun than my 330d.

I suspect the locking diff and manual box goes a long way to sort that so I wouldn’t be too upset about losing that second. A map on the manual m140i would be interesting to see if it catches or overtakes the ZF on the standard map.
Standard F30 330d to get those figures? Looking at getting mine done but didn't realise these figures are achievable off just a remap.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Standard F30 330d to get those figures? Looking at getting mine done but didn't realise these figures are achievable off just a remap.

Ours is still in warranty so no plans yet but I have looked a fair bit - 310 seems a realistic figure although Darkside said they do benefit from an intercooler

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh this makes me respect and like the 140 even more because even though it’s over 100bhp down, has way narrower tyres (effectively an entire 180 wide tyre narrower), smaller brakes, less ‘M-feel’ and on a tyre compound that is over a second a lap slower, it’s only a few seconds off.

Awesome performance.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Makes you wonder what Bilstein B12, m4 LCA's, LSD and an engine tune would do for that time..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Tbh this makes me respect and like the 140 even more because even though it’s over 100bhp down, has way narrower tyres (effectively an entire 180 wide tyre narrower), smaller brakes, less ‘M-feel’ and on a tyre compound that is over a second a lap slower, it’s only a few seconds off.

Awesome performance.

True but remember it was me driving the M4. I reckon with another go I could get.a 1.29 and I suspect Mark wouldn’t have much trouble getting 1.28