ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Boost hoses coming a drift or loose is more common than you think. Constant problem on DIY modified HDI's and they don't produce silly boost pressure. My 206 had a hose come adrift the other day. Lots of woosh with no go! Luckily only one I could reach as it's all buried down the back of the engine.

Love the fuel consumption figure. Can these fiesta do any wrong?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I brimmed it this evening before a 200 mile drive home...what it was showing was quite optimistic, the real mpg calculated as 46.3, still not bad considering it was full of bodies and was fairly short runs.

A progressive drive home solo and mostly on quiet motorways has given me an indicated 40 dead so more likely 37 ish in reality. I hardly ever touch motorways so I guess that's the norm?

Regardless, pinching the clamps up has made a difference...it's probably the placebo effect but it does feel even stronger now with a few hundred miles covered since I fixed it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ford-1_6L-EcoBoost-I4-pic-7.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Did my boost hoses today with help from the link provided a few pages back. Managed to get to all but 3 (The 2 intercooler ones and 1 other). My 7mm socket was just too chubby to get these and the smallest spanner in my tool kit is 8mm so will get a 7mm from work.

They weren't loose but there was definitely "some slack". Didn't over "romp" them either. Whilst the tools were out I thought I'd inspect the panel filter. Kinda glad I did as it ain't in the best of condition. Gave it a clean, hoover etc but it didn't improve all that much. Hoovered out the air box also (Though there wasn't much in there). Had a look at the secondary cold air feed and it didn't appear to be in a position where it would allow "$hite" to be drawn up. So I'll get a new filter ordered and tackle the last of the boost hose clamps and filter change next weekend (weather permitting).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I heard about this simple, reversible and free mod a short while ago and today while at Goodwood idly chatting I thought I'd give it a go.

Find your sound symposer and the ribbed pipe that spurs off around the right-hand side of the engine toward the bulkhead;

DSCN1599_zps317b9eaa.jpg

Hold the symposer body with one hand using the other to firmly pull and wiggle the pipe away (friction fit only with two small ridges to locate it);

DSCN1600_zpscabb6b29.jpg

Peer deep inside to locate this little fella;

DSCN1601_zpsc156a887.jpg

Then using a pair of tweezers or long needle-nosed pliers gentle pull this out (friction fit only);

DSCN1616_zpsbccd7d4d.jpg

The result is a slight increase in symposer noise volume in the cabin along with a much harder/harsher/sharper edge to it.

For now, I like it. If/when I tire of it it's going straight back in.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Might try that then, although I'm tempted to block the noise completely lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Might try that then, although I'm tempted to block the noise completely lol
Dead easy to do, you could even just block it up with blu-tac if you wanted to...it only carries the noise after all.

Was hilarious when I pulled it off at Goodwood today, Chris or Tim (can't remember which) started talking through it when I was sat in the car and it sounded like his head was in the passenger foot well!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a back to back comparison of the audio before and after. The audio level showing in my video editing software gives the 'after' a definite edge...to the tune of approx 0.6db. I think you can notice it, right at the top of the rev range...

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Time for another cost update...

Mileage now is just over 24k, second service is booked a couple weeks from now, a front suspension knock and a driver's door seal that's come unstuck will need attention, other than that it's spot on. Starting to lose the tautness in the drive train now though as the miles increase. Still a riot to drive but capable of being comfortable and effortless over long distances.

Brake pads are down to 2-2.5mm all round now so a call to my supplying dealer ended up with costs of £407 for discs and pads all round supplied plus the expected absurd fitting labour cost.

Alternatives are being sought but I'd prefer to stick with standard pads as they're so good all round, 24k miles, low dust, zero fade and a solid pedal on track with good feel.

Decisions decisions.

Slide1_zps23fca120.jpg

Slide2_zpsc6597cae.jpg

Slide4_zps68c899cb.jpg

Slide3_zps5f369b90.jpg

Also, as a last attempt to find a usable under-bonnet microphone location I stuffed the mic right inside the symposer body itself. Doesn't really give anything that isn't picked up inside the cabin...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
PM if you want it cheaper mate and I will try and arrange it!

Thanks Chris, will do.

I looked back recently through some footage of my first trackday at Goodwood when it was 9 weeks old and had just 3,000 miles on it. Even though I knew what to expect it was still quite a surprise to find how good it feels and goes...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is that graph right above..???

Your car has lost 50% of its value in just over one year.???

50% of costs incurred so far is depreciation.

As RDH said of all my costs so far, just over half has been depreciation.

This is based on my 1 year 3 month old car with 25k miles on it being sellable privately for £10,500. Considering how swamped the market is I think that's a fair valuation.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
£10,500??? Last time checked was one under £13,500, that was an st-1 with 36k on the clock.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've no idea where you got 10.5k from mate. They're trading higher than thst.

53 Clio's & counting
To be fair working on a lower value isn't a bad way of doing things, at least it means you get more than you calculate lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've no idea where you got 10.5k from mate. They're trading higher than thst.

I didn't want to depreciate it straight line as that's not how it works in reality. I think my flaw is that I used the actual price I paid as the starting point and not the RRP, hence it being so low now.

If I started with the rrp of be nearer the figures suggested.

clio 182 trophy
I didn't want to depreciate it straight line as that's not how it works in reality. I think my flaw is that I used the actual price I paid as the starting point and not the RRP, hence it being so low now.

If I started with the rrp of be nearer the figures suggested.
How much did you get the car for mate, if you don't mind me asking?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
25,000 mile second service today...

The detached driver's door seal has been, from what I can tell, Evo-stuck back in place. That'll do, looks as if it's been done well enough. The front suspension knock has been cured by "re-torquing all of the key suspension components". Good.

All else except one thing was spot on, they didn't clean it as requested, my second set of Bridgestones are doing well at 5mm or 6mm all round, the original factory pads are reported as only 60% worn even though they're all down to 2mm or less...replacements are on their way soon.

The one thing, my personal bugbear, is the tyre pressures.

I told them I check them regularly myself and that if they are to be adjusted, they should do it to the correct Ford recommended pressures.

I came away with 30psi in the rears (6psi too much) and 33psi and 30psi on the fronts (3ps and 6psi too little).

Fcuk-nuggets.

After 25k I'm still happy, still enjoy arsing about in it like a juvenile just for the hell of arsing about in it like a juvenile.

Lastly, I know build quality's come in for some stick from others and yes the material quality isn't the best to start with, but after 25k it's still like it was at 0 miles whereas my 200 and 172 were most definitely not. So that's crap materials but a good build. That'll do too.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
25,000 mile second service today...

The detached driver's door seal has been, from what I can tell, Evo-stuck back in place. That'll do, looks as if it's been done well enough. The front suspension knock has been cured by "re-torquing all of the key suspension components". Good.

All else except one thing was spot on, they didn't clean it as requested, my second set of Bridgestones are doing well at 5mm or 6mm all round, the original factory pads are reported as only 60% worn even though they're all down to 2mm or less...replacements are on their way soon.

The one thing, my personal bugbear, is the tyre pressures.

I told them I check them regularly myself and that if they are to be adjusted, they should do it to the correct Ford recommended pressures.

I came away with 30psi in the rears (6psi too much) and 33psi and 30psi on the fronts (3ps and 6psi too little).

Fcuk-nuggets.

After 25k I'm still happy, still enjoy arsing about in it like a juvenile just for the hell of arsing about in it like a juvenile.

Lastly, I know build quality's come in for some stick from others and yes the material quality isn't the best to start with, but after 25k it's still like it was at 0 miles whereas my 200 and 172 were most definitely not. So that's crap materials but a good build. That'll do too.

I could be wrong, and I dont fancy going out to my car to check, but looks like you were after 24psi front and 36psi rear. Shouldnt that be the other way round?