ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matthew's VW Tiguan

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
It was mainly 50-80mph on the motorway.

Guessing you suffered that long stretch of 50mph down the M1? I was really tempted by getting cruise/ST-3 just because that part of the M1 winds me right up. Right now my solution is to just take the scenic route, though admittedly I haven't left the Midlands yet.

Oooh...you've got one of the lower redline rev-counters.

Not that it makes any difference at all of course LOL - I thought they only came on the early models...the red on mine doesn't start becoming the 'redline' until it's well clear of 6.5k.

No one's yet been able to work out why Ford had two designs made as they limit the same the world over!

How odd! Didnt know that. Not that it's going to see the red-line often anyway...

Nice pictures!

As a comparison, over the last 1200 miles in my 200 i've got an average of 28mpg.

Wow, just shows how good the modern small capacity turbos are really.

Performance and econemy. Doesn't have to be just one now.

Guessing you suffered that long stretch of 50mph down the M1? I was really tempted by getting cruise/ST-3 just because that part of the M1 winds me right up. Right now my solution is to just take the scenic route, though admittedly I haven't left the Midlands yet.

Yeah, what a ball ache that part is! On the way back I did take the back route from Chatsworth through Sheffield. Great roads down there!!

great pics Matthew, picked a good day for it too!

interesting Mark about the rev counters

Cheers mate. Great location it really is.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not disputing that, would be interested to know how it compares to the calculated. Ran a 1.8tdci for a while. Trip read 70mpg, but was only actually doing 57mpg. If it's actually 45mpg+ that's superb.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
48 litre capacity so whatever that works out to be.

As for trip computer accuracy, it is on or around 3 mpg optimistic. That's from calculating the actual mpg and comparing to the trip computer on every fill-up for the last year.

Z4
Crazy mpg really. It is to be expected though, nothing revolutionary tbh, it's just a light car with a 1.6 engine off boost.

IMG_0733.jpg

That was from my old (and your old!) 182 doing a steady 60/70. Similar weight, bigger engine.
Are these a 6 speed?

Lovely car though, I may have a blag a test drive if they're as good as everyone is making out.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I was 100% going to get it, but I'm a now seriously considering not bothering!

It is faster than any of my Golf GTIs/182s etc were. Might save the £600/700 and spend it on a holiday instead ha.

It's fast enough for me in standard form.

you mean it actually is faster than your gti or just feels faster ?

Great choice by the way , my mate is gettin st3 sat same colour so i will be getting a proper test drive soon !

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Crazy mpg really. It is to be expected though, nothing revolutionary tbh, it's just a light car with a 1.6 engine off boost.

IMG_0733.jpg

That was from my old (and your old!) 182 doing a steady 60/70. Similar weight, bigger engine.
Are these a 6 speed?

Lovely car though, I may have a blag a test drive if they're as good as everyone is making out.

Does that include the start and end of the journey or was it a reset while cruising at 70?

Almost any car can achieve that level of mpg while on a cruise...as maintaining a constant speed uses very little fuel (speed dependent of course).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I normally get 340 miles from the 172 before the light comes on. That's mixed driving, motorway at 80. No doubt the st is a bit more economical than a 1*2 (fuel wise!)

Seeing as though the car need running in properly, me and the other half took a trip to Donington today, to have a look round their F1 Collection (which was great).

On the way back, we decided to stop off at Chatsworth for a photo opportunity.

It was a 200 + round trip and the car averaged approximately 50mpg (not bad to say its only got about 600 miles on the motor).

13946760268_245cd7a03e_c.jpg

13946339097_91a9da47f7_c.jpg

13946369148_1751744cb9_c.jpg

14130037521_ba4099c57e_c.jpg

14130044921_b3e8145c05_c.jpg

14133271954_91b55dec8c_c.jpg

14132016734_d1871c1032_c.jpg

The more i look at these, the more i wish i never cancelled my order :(

Fiesta ST
Nice pictures!!

Be interested to see if your mpg improves as mileage is added. I did a 400 mile trip to london and back with only 300 miles on the clock and returned (weirdly) 50.3mpg. Now with over 7.5k it still reads around 50mpg on a run so there has been no improvement, not that it needs it.

Z4
Does that include the start and end of the journey or was it a reset while cruising at 70?

Almost any car can achieve that level of mpg while on a cruise...as maintaining a constant speed uses very little fuel (speed dependent of course).

That was reset prior to the journey.
My point being that although fezza STs are a great buy, they're not light years away from the old french tin can still!
They do share the same winning formula, hence the reason everyone on here seems to like them lol.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Given that it is a Renault, I would guess that the mpg is over reading too. I'd hazard a guess that an ST will 10 mpg more than a 182 over and average tank.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Given that it is a Renault, I would guess that the mpg is over reading too. I'd hazard a guess that an ST will 10 mpg more than a 182 over and average tank.

I don't think it's quite that high a difference myself.

So far I'm averaging over 17k miles around 38mpg. In my 200 over 24k miles (and including 3 trackdays more than I've done in the ST) I averaged 34mpg.

What's harming the ST's mpg for me at the moment is how easy it is to plant your foot and make progress. In the NA Clios it required commitment and effort to get it down the road so I tended not to bother that much, in the ST, I'm at it all the time.

I think the ST has the potential to be a MUCH more economical car than either of my Clios...I'm just not seeing that much of an improvement.

Having said that, if I want and can be bothered, I can drain a tank-full and average 45mpg without too much difficulty which is something I could never manage in either Clio.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think it's quite that high a difference myself.

So far I'm averaging over 17k miles around 38mpg. In my 200 over 24k miles (and including 3 trackdays more than I've done in the ST) I averaged 34mpg.

What's harming the ST's mpg for me at the moment is how easy it is to plant your foot and make progress. In the NA Clios it required commitment and effort to get it down the road so I tended not to bother that much, in the ST, I'm at it all the time.

I think the ST has the potential to be a MUCH more economical car than either of my Clios...I'm just not seeing that much of an improvement.

Having said that, if I want and can be bothered, I can drain a tank-full and average 45mpg without too much difficulty which is something I could never manage in either Clio.
Which for me is the main draw of the car. Economical, quiet and comfortable when I want it, and then a hot hatch when I want it too aswell. Really is the essence of todays hot hatches, can multi task alot easier over the previous gen.

chris_p Any idea who has the car now? Would love it back ha!

The car is definatley more economical than all my previous cars. It's averaging about 31/32 mpg daily around town. My Clios would average about 26mpg on the same town drive... The GTIs slightly worse and the Z4 was about the same as the Clios.

I've also noticed the car has the worse steering lock of all time (Clio V6 esk).

It's the same as my slammed 182 on coilovers! Ha

Z4
@chris_p Any idea who has the car now? Would love it back ha!

The car is definatley more economical than all my previous cars. It's averaging about 31/32 mpg daily around town. My Clios would average about 26mpg on the same town drive... The GTIs slightly worse and the Z4 was about the same as the Clios.

I've also noticed the car has the worse steering lock of all time (Clio V6 esk).

It's the same as my slammed 182 on coilovers! Ha

Not entirely sure Matt, I regularly drive by the house of the lad I sold it too and I don't see it on the drive anymore!
It may be because he's moved out of his family home now though, who knows. I'll keep an eye out for it if you're genuinely interested?
Solid little motor for runabout/ track purposes!

What hit does it feel like going from the z4 to the fiesta? Once the newness passes, does the quality of the materials etc feel like a huge step downwards or is it fairly unnoticeable?

Hand on heart - the quality all round is miles better. Honestly.

The Z4 felt both dated and cheap compared to the fiesta. It's very VW quality inside.

And obviously it's considerably faster ;)

Clio 182
Hi, I have a few questions as these are rather tempting ..

I'm guessing you used to have a 1*2, does it feel any quicker due to the lower down power?
They speak a lot about the gadgets that keep it going around corners, does it corner as well as a 1*2?

Hi, I have a few questions as these are rather tempting ..

I'm guessing you used to have a 1*2, does it feel any quicker due to the lower down power?
They speak a lot about the gadgets that keep it going around corners, does it corner as well as a 1*2?

I've had many, many cars... Including 3 Clio 182s.

The fiesta feels ALOT faster than any of the 182s I've had.

Does that mean it is faster? I dunno, I would say yes probably, but due to the torque, the in-gear acceleration is on a different level to the Clios.

It hadles very well also. Not sure it's as 'nimble' but you can corner faster due to the excellent damping and grip from the Bridgstones.

All I know is the steering is super sharp (very MiniCS) and the grip is excellent.

Reminds me of my GTIs in the bends - in that you can go round them faster than a Clio due to the damping and grip.

RB182cup&golf gti
I agree about the steering being super sharp. I drive both the 182 and the ST and the steering is much tighter in the ST.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
yeah I really liked the steering, coming from a non PAS equipped car it still felt as if you could tell where the wheels were pointing.

Pleasant surprise that!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
uses TVC for cornering, no idea if it helps at all

Sometimes I think I can feel this at work. Around slow roundabouts giving it a boot full on the exit, enough to spin up the inside wheel but not enough to overwhelm them both, the inside wheel slips a little then just stops and grips. Seeing as the throttle input's the same I put that down to the TVC.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
I've had many, many cars... Including 3 Clio 182s.

The fiesta feels ALOT faster than any of the 182s I've had.

Does that mean it is faster? I dunno, I would say yes probably, but due to the torque, the in-gear acceleration is on a different level to the Clios.

It hadles very well also. Not sure it's as 'nimble' but you can corner faster due to the excellent damping and grip from the Bridgstones.

thanks mate, ordering one on Monday now, hopefully the wait for blue with style pack isn't too long.