ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Want some measurements ;)

Need to know what the height they came out the box at. So either arch lip to wheel centres, or with the front wheel off, measure how much thread you have or something. I want to raise mine, and as Bilstein set them thats good enough for me!

yeah no worries mate, i'm gonna swap the wheel back over at some point this week (maybe the weekend) so i'll do it then for you?

half a turn? i saw at least 5 threads!

lol, i'll have a butchers next weekend see how much there is!

Lionel Richie
he is (to be fair) uber uber cautious (aka gay) when it comes to doing as i say! Doesn't trust a word i say, ah well i'll take him out in the Dynacup to prove my knowledge!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
he is (to be fair) uber uber cautious (aka gay) when it comes to doing as i say! Doesn't trust a word i say, ah well i'll take him out in the Dynacup to prove my knowledge!

LOL!

I didn't quite fancy an airbag going off in my face :)

340i
all this talk of "gay" "doing what I say" "proving knowledge" "going off in my face".... Could give a boy ideas :eek:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Finally got round to finishing off my tow eye this week to match the mirror covers i sprayed up a few weeks back.

Took them outside to match up against the wheels, and they're quite a bit darker. Not overly happy with the way they are now.

SDC10876.jpg

What do you reckon i should do now, Leave them as they are or spray them another colour go completly against the orange and iceburg?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
this weekend i promise :)

i've been a lazy git this week (plus i really don't wanna take them wheel off yet!)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
gaz - i've just been outside can't measure properly not sitting level enough to get a correct measurement.

will defo be the weekend!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
another cheap/free mod was done this afternoon :)

set about removing the rear wiper assembly to achieve more weight gain / smoother look on the back.

the first nut under the clip on the wiper came off so easy i was surprised. then brought out the hacksaw to saw off the arm :) full of win :)

now the wiper motor was stuck and wasn't sure how to remove it. I presumed the outer cover had to come off but wasn't sure how without breaking it. So after a bit of head scratching and a quick call to gray motorsport hq, problem was resolved and the thing came off in less then 10 seconds! Even the big 22mm nut came off easy - it unscrewed by hand!

then a trip to halfords followed and i bought a 13mm rubber grommet and whacked it in. also cleaned up the outer plate with some bumper black too :)

couple of pics of the finished article.

SDC10877.jpg

SDC10880.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
gaz-kev - got the measurements for you today...

... from the top of the bottom adjuster ring on the coilover until the bottom of the remaining thread, you've got exactly 9cm.

that's how they came out of the box anyways.

hope that clears it up for you :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Minty! Cheers. First thing we did was wind them down before fitting to the car! When i get it back i'll re adjust i think!

Oh, and you'll regret no rear wiper come Winter ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Minty! Cheers. First thing we did was wind them down before fitting to the car! When i get it back i'll re adjust i think!

Oh, and you'll regret no rear wiper come Winter ;)

Ah no problems matey, I told you I'd get the measurements. Only had chance to swap the wheels back over this afternoon though!

Nahh it'll be reet! I've had a car de-wipered before and it was okay, should be sound me reckons.

Whack the heaters on ftw :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Update today....

.... It's been a long/good/rewarding weekend. Really happy with the work that I got sorted out on the car. Total of about 8 hours over the two days. Probably quite slow work for what I've achieved but there was a bit of head scratching working out how to get the cigarette lighter out of it's housing.

In basic..all carpet,sound deadening, sill trim, the lower gear gaitor and dash surround has all been removed.

Guestimating I reckon there must be a good 20kg saved from everything that's came out. I couldn't believe how much sound deadening there was to come out. I also noticed how much easier it was to fit the seats back in without the carpet in. Had a right game last year getting it all lined up, but went back in a lot easier today.

Had a quick blast once it was all sorted this afternoon, and I THINK it feels a bit quicker/responsive. Could be a placebo though ;)

SDC10889.jpg

SDC10893.jpg

SDC10890.jpg

SDC10891.jpg

SDC10896.jpg

SDC10897.jpg

SDC10898.jpg

SDC10901.jpg

SDC10903.jpg

SDC10904.jpg

SDC10906.jpg

All comments/questions welcome!

TrackCar & F30 330d
You see the little ECU infront of the Gear stick. You might as well remove it as you no longer have airbags. So if you remove it you can move all the wires behind the dash or cut them all out. Make it look a bit neater :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Why do you have Dynamique clocks?

Looks great!

Cheers, I'm not sure on the clocks. I can only presume Renault parts bin was short the day they put my car together!

You see the little ECU infront of the Gear stick. You might as well remove it as you no longer have airbags. So if you remove it you can move all the wires behind the dash or cut them all out. Make it look a bit neater :)

Ahh right, I thought from quickly looking at it, it was something to do with the abs system! Obviously not ;)

I'll leave it for now until the dash comes out to get flocked/changed as I've still got the passenger airbag in under the dash.

looks ace well done i will be doing this soon!!! :D

Aye, it could be a bit tidier. Need to get some Autoglym tar remover from work to tidy up the small remaining black bits, and then try and do something with the stains that are around the patches from where the sound deadening used to be!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Good work!! Bit of an over guestimation though, the front carpet only weighs about 6kg, and all the sounds deadening is only a few kg.

Still loads more to come out! :)

Lol, well they felt bleeding weighty when coming out! Carpet/foam/plastics/tar all together weighed a fair bit more then needs to be in there anyways :)

CLIO PH1 172
thers foam under the front carpet isnt there ? does it feel like the pedals are to high now though ? or is it ok ??

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
lol yes.

i found this out today, however it ain't as bad as i were expecting!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Just a quick pic from yesterday evening at Bedford.

Car was cleaned, air filter cleaned out, all levels checked yesterday morning. Got to Bedford nice and early and swapped the wheels over to the orange F1's :)

Was a great evening, did three sessions overall as well as one in the new Megane 250. I would of gone out a bit more but was suffering for some bad brake fade - definatly need to upgrade quick time!

SDC10946.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Yeah I've a few sessions booked, only my second time went about 3 years ago and quite enjoyed it. :)

What you gonna do about the brakes?