ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane F7R into Clio16v

A few monts ago I asked advice on a Megane Engine into my 16v. I am now i the prosess of installing the engine. I was adviced to use the Fi16 head, and not the Megane (F7R). But that must be dead wrong. The Megane engine has lager inntake valves.

http://www.ruf911.com/clio/2liter_valve.jpg

The only problem is that the Megane Head dont have a distributor, and needs to be machined:

http://www.ruf911.com/clio/2liter_megane.jpg

Here is the old 16v head, to illustrate the work that needs to be done.

http://www.ruf911.com/clio/2liter_old16v.jpg

Will the car ever run again? ;-)

http://www.ruf911.com/clio/2liter_rot.jpg

320d M Sport

bloody hell!! i like the way u just rest the engine on that 172 wheel!:eek: got any pics of the exterior of the car?

So the F7R which I have said to others is exactly the same as the williams lump does actually have the 33mm valves?its is indeed how I say and theres photographic evidence. Thankyou, humble pie shall be eaten.

Rebault want 1900 quid for one of them lump btw, thats the price I get which is cheap, managed to get a nearside DS for my 19 for 47 quid, not the poxy thin ones the full on 1 and a bit inch dia effort.

I suppose I should get started on that F7P engine I have, ahh well 200bhp here I come.

The dremel will sort out the machining;)

Also what are you planning to do with the 2 litre? Leave as is? Port? Full on rebuild?

The Megane engine has larger inlet valves but have a look at the size of its inlet ports, they are much smaller than the Clio 16v head! The clio head is definitely the one to use with your megane bottom end. Nick Hill recommended the clio head to me when i done the same job 2 years ago, as the megane head is quite poor.

I never used the clio 16v head though, i bought a williams head, as it has the large valves aswell as the large intake ports! The megane head has not got BOTH :eek: Careful u dont choke on your own humble pie clever cloggs :cry:

Spend the money on getting the clio head ported n polished instead of getting the megane head machined, will be much better :D

I am now ripping the head apart. Will have a mild port and of course a rebuild whith everything new.

Enybody know the difference between the Megane Cams and the 16v? Looks like the Clio cams has the valve open on top for a longer time?

I cant say I have had a good close inspection of the 2l and the 1.8 head sbut even if the 1.8 has beter ports I am sure the 2 litre ones could be opened up to the same standard. Not that size is everything, you want the sped kept high which narow ports will do.

I need to pop the head off my 1.8 but its wet out and I have already done a head this week. Ported it to, not a thorough port but a decent one all the same.

As for the cams, are you sure the clio ones are not just worn. The ones on my f7p should be rather pointy.

Cheers Red16!!

It is I that am dead wrong :eek:

I ran out to my garage and to have a look. I hadent realise the differense i the intake. The Megane head sucks!!! Here is the proof. ;) The difference in valves dont justefy using the megane head... Clio on the left.

C:\Data\ruf911\clio\clio_meg.jpg">

What my ported head? Yeah on spool and its for an energy lump, not a valver. Need to wait till I get my finger out and stip the head off for that.

ruf the pic disnae work.

they got a laguna f4p engine on ebay startin at a tenner, would that fit in a clio? i aint got a clue!! where can you learn all this stuff?

looking good ruf_ect!!

I got a 1.2 16v and since finding this site, iv got this itch to start modding!!

the willy has 32mm intakes, valver 30.....but the diff till your pushing serious pwoer is very very minimal. even gasflowing the head wont do much till your running a setup where your running out of flow.

You cant open up the megane head that much, and if you could, the time it will take and you really have to be very good to get each port identicle, most people fluff a head when they start porting it.

You could get the megane valves to fit the F7P head and get the seats machined, then play a bit with valve angles.

The Megane cylinder head besides not having the dizzy mount machined out and runing smaller ports needs the megane inlet manifold to mate to the ports, this will involve making brackets for the underneath mounts(manifold support to stop it cracking) you will the have the wrong type of throttle pot on the throttle body which will not send correct signals to the ecu for idle and accel and also the std Clio ecu will not support twin coil ignition. It can be done but would probably invole more work than the power you will get back. All of that said I personally think from dyno work I have done that the Megane head will yield better performance and increased torque. By far the best way for the Clio (and easiest) is to use the Williams head.

FRST and 106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by N.D.Hill on 12 May 2003

All of that said I personally think from dyno work I have done that the Megane head will yield better performance and increased torque. By far the best way for the Clio (and easiest) is to use the Williams head.
better performance when looking at all rpm? since the valver lacks on power under 4500rpm.
Increased torque? maybee because with smaller ports the inlet velocity would be higher on low rpm when comparing to the std valver head.

coments? Valver bottom end to be used with valver std head, megane 2lts head or willy head?

I asked for a 1.8 16v bottom end has i forgot to put that all important oil in mine.

When i went to pick it up noticed the old boy was taking it out a blue clio with williams wheels on it put it into the back of my work van off i went, smashed the van up on the way home like, drove in to the back of a mainline bus at barnsley,

Anyway took the registration plate of the car put it into insurance quote came up as a phase 2 williams,

put in the car drove it round the block with no lights bonnet or anything noticed how much more power was there.

I got for £350

Enigine with head

Alternator, starter motor, water pump (new), power steering pump splitfire leads on it

chuff to bits

Anyone any idea when i ride my car upto about 6000 i have to have the clutch down for ages to get it to change gear without grinding re-con box on it with bb tuning uprated clutch