ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Can't view the trailer or that site for some reason but I hope it's more tactile like the originals and less hack and slash like the last effort.

I30N, LS430, 197
Looks fantastic, I was kind of hoping it was going to be developed as a 'next gen' title but I'll happily take it on the current platforms if it looks even 90% as good as the PC rendered trailers.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've played this for about 2 hours now.

Firstly, the Prologue: What the f*ck was going on there? I created a face and features that took around 20 minutes and I'm pretty sure having got into the main game now that exercise was pointless (unless it's part of the online system which I won't even be venturing into).

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the opening "scene", even though I was baffled by most of it.

I'll skip to getting on my horse and opening up the "real world" now: Wow. I mean, as soon as the game gives you full control you simply have to pan around and take in those visuals; absolutely astonishing detail and atmosphere. I actually said to the missus, "Look at the detail in those rocks," to which she replied, "Go and look at the detail in the rocks outside the house." Touche, but this is a video game. It looks incredible.

I'm still getting used to the buttons and it's a little fiddly at the moment, but so far it's looking like it could be a hugely entertaining experience. I'm very aware that there are a plethora of unlocks for the guns and vehicles and and and... but that little silenced pistol is doing it's job for the moment. I've infiltrated the first base camp on the map and that's where I've got to.

One thing that is frustrating, and it's purely down to ME and not the game as such, is that I'm always wanting to explore everything incase there's a pickup or information or valuable that I've missed. It's very time consuming, but as I said, that's my mindset unfortunately.

Overall, and purely based on the first couple of hours, this is damn impressive. Damn impressive.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
So worth buying then?

I need a new game to play!

I'd say the 95% average is justified at the moment. It's not scripted in any way, it's an open-world-do-missions-how-you-want-to rather than how you're being told to.

Cayman S Edition 1
I'd say the 95% average is justified at the moment. It's not scripted in any way, it's an open-world-do-missions-how-you-want-to rather than how you're being told to.
Nice one cheers. I'll have a lookie;)

Listerine & Poledo
Phantom pains?

Like phantom pregnancies and such?

Sounds like the franchise finally realised there was nothing new to do anymore

M2 Comp
I can't decide whether to get this or not...

I've never played MGS and I'm not sure if I'll 'get it'!

Anybody who has it and not played the others?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've ordered it, I've played some of the MGS games before and have enjoyed them but found them very restricted, I'm hoping this will change all that.

Clio
Not if you slide down the hill in one. No one suspects a thing.
Ah yes, very good point. Mr Terrorist says "That man in army fatigues carrying a gun isn't a threat. He just wants to slide down hills in cardboard boxes."

S.A.S training manual chapter 6 paragraph 4 - The art of stealth.

On a side note, I promised the Mrs I'd do the ironing. Today I've bribed her with £30 to do it. Shall I ring her and tell her no, and spend the money on the game. Although I'd have to iron for 2 hours first? Is it that worth it?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'd say yes mate. It's excellent. I'd probably do the ironing as a way of thanks (not me doing your ironing, of course. I hate ironing).

Clio
I'd say yes mate. It's excellent. I'd probably do the ironing as a way of thanks (not me doing your ironing, of course. I hate ironing).
Its cost me the ironing and dinner out on Sunday.

Is it better than Tom Clancys Splinter Cell?

Clio
Yes. It's arguably the best game on Next Gen. What console have you got?
I have a ONE. I don't get to play it that often and have only got:
FIFA 15 - I played for about a week because I realised Rovers were in the conference that season so didn't make it into the game. It wasn't the same playing as Exeter.
AC Unity - Played for a bit quite enjoyed it
Forza Horizon - Like it.
AC Black Flag - Never installed it.

Will MGS be the best addition yet? I really wanted Tiger Woods but the reviews were s**t for career mode so I never got it.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It'll kick the ass of all those games mate, but take into account it's a BIG game and needs your attention to get right into it. What I mean is it's f*cking huge.

But what you'll like is you can do the missions in any way you see fit. Don't want to go in stealthily, then don't; just shoot sh*t up. Want to train a dog and send that in to help? Then find a puppy early on and train it over time to help. Honestly, there's so much detail and scope it's difficult to get your head around.

Have a read of a review just to get you in the know:
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-review/1900-6416224/

Clio
Cheers Scutchio.
I'm buying. It seems the story is a bit slow but that doesn't matter to me as it so long between me playing sometimes I forget whats going on and prefer the side missions anyway.

Last purchase before Star Wars.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Cheers Scutchio.
I'm buying. It seems the story is a bit slow but that doesn't matter to me as it so long between me playing sometimes I forget whats going on and prefer the side missions anyway.

Last purchase before Star Wars.

Yeah I'll be getting that too. Next purchase will be Fifa 16, then Star Wars.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Ive done almost 30 hours on this now. By far the most time ive spent on a next gen game and ive had most on the XBO.
It is epic. So so good, and im currently at around 27% completion.

RS Clio 182
Getting this tomorrow,really looking forward to it - the open world and freedom of choice is very appealing. Ive just been playing Ground Zeroes and was impressed with that - makes such a difference stealth in an open world game. Instead of the linear style of the previous ones..

Citroen DS3 DSport
This seems to be getting positive reviews from critics and gamers so I decided to purchase it from my local Tesco store today. I'll play Ground Zeroes first and then see if this game lives up to the hype!!!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The other snake games I didn't like how you had to sneak around. Do you have to be cautious or can you be gung-ho and kill people willy nilly?

The other snake games I didn't like how you had to sneak around. Do you have to be cautious or can you be gung-ho and kill people willy nilly?

It's up to you, can go in all gun's blazing or you can go in stealth, it's more satisfying marking all the enemies and planning your perfect stealth attack.

Mito Sportiva 135
I had written this off as not played any of the other games in the series, but it's got some amazing reviews. Only negative seems to be the usual weird Japanese thing of putting in a female character with ridiculously large and exposed breasts. Personally I take that as a positive though!

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I had written this off as not played any of the other games in the series, but it's got some amazing reviews. Only negative seems to be the usual weird Japanese thing of putting in a female character with ridiculously large and exposed breasts. Personally I take that as a positive though!
How can you never had played one before? [emoji46]

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'm looking forward to playing this. I already have a copy, however i'm wanting to finish Arkham Knight first.

Clio
So I picked this up last night and switched it on about 7pm and knocked out about 6 hours play with an hour break to watch Naked and Afraid. (Ironing never got done).

First impressions... The prologue dragged, and all the crawling was a bit tedious. Would have been better if it was just a cut scene until you reached the stairwell. I didn't really understand the customise your face thing when he showed your face in the mirror afterwards and nothing had changed. Bit gutted really because I looked bad ass and wasted about 20 minutes. Still with the Prologue I didn't/still don't understand what went on. There was a Man on Fire and something that looked like some Banksy artwork going bat s**t but I suppose that will be explained. If I am honest, if the Prologue would have been available as a demo I wouldn't have bought the game after.

When I finally got to Afghan the game changed, the cut scene with Ocelot was visually stunning and the game play come into its own. Having to identify the targets to mark them via your binoculars is near genius (never seen that before). It offers a whole new perspective on planning your take down approach. I found myself scouting from 2 or 3 positions before moving in.

The stealth aspect of the game is good, although you can usually kidnap and kill someone in the direct line of another guard only 5 metres away as long as he has his back to you. This is probably just me being s**t but the grab from behind doesn't always work and I just end up trying to punch/kick them or do some other useless crap. Also, I can't figure out how to stick a knife in them when they are knocked out? Is this possible? On a whole the gameplay is excellent and challenging enough, I start with stealth but 90% of the time it ends up in all out mayhem.

One feature that would have been nice would have been the ability to choose which checkpoint to start from. During The Rescue I'd alerted about 80 guards before I rescued him, when the checkpoint loaded again I had about 20 guards all ready go to bat s**t on on me straight away. It took a while to get out of that one as I didn't want to start the whole mission again.

One last thing, I understand the main mission but don't get where I see the side missions whilst in game and what I got to do? Any help?

That got a bit long..... anyway that is my view as a non diehard player.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
So I picked this up last night and switched it on about 7pm and knocked out about 6 hours play with an hour break to watch Naked and Afraid. (Ironing never got done).

First impressions... The prologue dragged, and all the crawling was a bit tedious. Would have been better if it was just a cut scene until you reached the stairwell. I didn't really understand the customise your face thing when he showed your face in the mirror afterwards and nothing had changed. Bit gutted really because I looked bad ass and wasted about 20 minutes. Still with the Prologue I didn't/still don't understand what went on. There was a Man on Fire and something that looked like some Banksy artwork going bat s**t but I suppose that will be explained. If I am honest, if the Prologue would have been available as a demo I wouldn't have bought the game after.

When I finally got to Afghan the game changed, the cut scene with Ocelot was visually stunning and the game play come into its own. Having to identify the targets to mark them via your binoculars is near genius (never seen that before). It offers a whole new perspective on planning your take down approach. I found myself scouting from 2 or 3 positions before moving in.

The stealth aspect of the game is good, although you can usually kidnap and kill someone in the direct line of another guard only 5 metres away as long as he has his back to you. This is probably just me being s**t but the grab from behind doesn't always work and I just end up trying to punch/kick them or do some other useless crap. Also, I can't figure out how to stick a knife in them when they are knocked out? Is this possible? On a whole the gameplay is excellent and challenging enough, I start with stealth but 90% of the time it ends up in all out mayhem.

One feature that would have been nice would have been the ability to choose which checkpoint to start from. During The Rescue I'd alerted about 80 guards before I rescued him, when the checkpoint loaded again I had about 20 guards all ready go to bat s**t on on me straight away. It took a while to get out of that one as I didn't want to start the whole mission again.

One last thing, I understand the main mission but don't get where I see the side missions whilst in game and what I got to do? Any help?

That got a bit long..... anyway that is my view as a non diehard player.

I'm only at that first mission mate, and stealthed my way into the radio building before alerting every c*nt and getting shot, so you're ahead of me at the moment. But I agree completely with the Prologue stuff - I didn't have a clue what was going on 😂 Was all bloody good cinematics though.

The customisation of your face etc. I believe is for online, which starts in October. Watch this for a teaser, it looks insane:

Clio
I'm only at that first mission mate, and stealthed my way into the radio building before alerting every c*nt and getting shot, so you're ahead of me at the moment. But I agree completely with the Prologue stuff - I didn't have a clue what was going on 😂 Was all bloody good cinematics though.

The customisation of your face etc. I believe is for online, which starts in October. Watch this for a teaser, it looks insane:

I had exactly the same on the radio building, managed to stealth my way through the outside no problems but my first venture into a building was chaos. I just managed to fight my way out.

I've never done online for any games but I might just try this out. I can't wait to get everyone in bed tonight so I can sit down and play my way through the next mission. Can't remember the last time I had that feeling about a game.