ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Milage

Der Panzer
I'm starting to worry about the milage I'm putting on the car.

I;ve clocked about 8000 miles in 6 months and that's far too much TBH. Think about furture resale/trade in value. Plus there's the costs implied by general wear and tear.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons of a second £500 banger are.... :S

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Andy,

I was the same with my car, I put on about 8k in my first 6 months but have stopped doing loads of milage now I don't have a girlfriend who lives miles away lol.

Buying, running and maintaining a 2nd car is VERY expensive so its not really worth doing.

Lee

BMW M2C
I put 22500 on my 172 in just over a year, and 18500 on the 182 in 12 months, the Trophy is going to be the same. I don't care what it loses as I bought the car to enjoy driving it, it's no fun sat in my garage looking nice keeping the miles down for the next owner.

172 Cup
ive done 5000 in 4 months. I didnt buy my car as an investment, i dont know anyone that has, its gonna loose its value by the time i sell it anyway. I dont care cos its the pleasure of driving it.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Andy im in the exact same boat as you only far worse! I have put 18,000 on my 182 in 8 months and am contemplating getting a cheapo shitter (like an old valver ;)) as a second car. Only thing putting me off is cost of running two cars and the liklihood of that second car going wrong.

1.2 16v clio
ive done about 2 /2.5 in bit over a month of passin but i did bout 600/700 in the first week. yea it will depreciate your car but enjoy it while u have it cos its not just mileage its age aswell so mite aswell enjoy drivin it as im guessin urs is more enjoyable 2 drive then mine lol

BMW E46 330i Touring
It'll cost more to buy, insure and run a second car than it will having greater dep'n by using your's more.

I worried about it for the first few thousand, now I just think sod it, I've got this car for a couple years yet, so what if it hits 70k or 80k? Didn't buy it for its resale value.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^^ Can't you just drive another car 3rd party cos he is already fully comp on his 182? (presuming that you are). So no need to get new insurance on a "shitter"...?

Tyson.

BMW E46 330i Touring
A lot of insurance companies don't do 3rd party as standard anymore, you have to ask them if your policy includes this... I think it is also an age thing.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
and lets be honest, renautls don't hold their value anyway!

RB 200 Cup!
drive to your hearts content - i know as soon as i can get a 182 im gonna drive is so much im practically gonna live in it

TBH buying a running a second car will cost far more than any additional depreciation/costs that your 182 will suffer as a result of higher than normal mileage. 16k a year ain't that bad anyway.

I've thought about buying a 2nd car/van to use as bike transport (at the moment about 50% of my miles are done with mountain-bikes on the roof) but the cost of tax, insurance, MOT, maintenance, plus taking a second hit of depreciation just means it ain't worthwhile. Plus at least doing more miles in the Clio means I get all the luxuries and all the speed all of the time :)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
iv only got 22,000 miles on my x-reg 172- need to put some miles on before it sounds wrong. lady owner before me and i take the train to work so its more like a weekend car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Buying a 2nd car for your first to be kept better is not a cost effective idea.If you need a 2nd car for serious reasons then yes but once you weigh up the cost of the 2nd car and insurance tyres fuel and all the other maintenance stuff,its the same if not more than putting anonther 20k on your rs

ian

Black Dynamique 1.4 16v
mate, ive clocked up 45,000 on the clock and ive only had it 2 and a half years!i bought my car to drive,no point in havin one if ya not gonna drive it!!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I don't get chance to put that many miles on mine as I work 2 miles from home. TBH though I kinda wish I'd done more miles in it while it was still under warranty. I had about 16,000 miles of trouble free motoring in the 1st three years but now the warranty has just run out I've started having a few problems that would have been fixed under warranty.

106 GTi
Chad said:
I don't get chance to put that many miles on mine as I work 2 miles from home. TBH though I kinda wish I'd done more miles in it while it was still under warranty.

I am starting to think this way, as I have done a pityfull amount of miles in mine in 13 months :eek:

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
why would you want to drive around in a old banger when you have a great new car that you don't have to worry about things going wrong with it and having to pay to have them fixed, also the 182 is easyer to drive more comfortable.

Clio 182 Cup
12,000 miles in 8 months and used every day at work, including scooting along grass verges complete with orange flashy light!

No more clio's for me!
Andy182Cup said:
I'm starting to worry about the milage I'm putting on the car.

I;ve clocked about 8000 miles in 6 months and that's far too much TBH. Think about furture resale/trade in value. Plus there's the costs implied by general wear and tear.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons of a second £500 banger are.... :S

I've had my car for 9 months now. Car had 34k on it when i bought it, it now has 61k on it!!!!! Thats 27k in 9 months ouch!!!!:(

60k in 3.5year there no point trying to keep the miles down it doesn't cost much my car would only be worth £1k more with 20k or so on it which when you put in the prespective or what I've lost is nothing.

FULL FAT 182
my cars mileage is ok as i only use it as a toy n reg valver 58k, but ive clocked up 3.5k since last october.