ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***Mini Turbo Project***

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Ok i've had my mini a while now and have decided that it is time to upgrade the engine. At the moment it has an 'A-series' 1275cc engine with a crazy race cam, it produces about 60bhp! :evil:

I will be picking up a metro turbo engine next week and hope to be running about 160bhp @ 16psi. Getting the engine off a really knowledgeable guy who is selling it to me at a great price with loads of spares and other bits!

The story to far.....

[youtube]TZVyIWgup8A[/youtube]

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

Getting ready for a respray over the winter so set to work on some rust!

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

visualize whirled pe
What a great little car. I love the clubman shaped front end, it's also slightly longer so as you'll know will make the conversion to turbo easier. Also nice to see your sticking to an A-series, they are great engines to work on.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Suppose so!! I'd go retro if I had a clubman with wood and brown carpet everywhere :)

yeah you can either go for the full track look or keep it old school! I hate the steering wheel at the moment, want to change it for a black one.

Never above 25mpg
The steering wheel does look v gash tbh :D

V nice though the car overall! Never ever been in a Mini or driven one so Ive yet to experience the delight

Punto/Clio GTT
beast mate

hows the rust on it?

weve got a mini in work atm, bit of a mess, gotta be filled on every panel. had the wide arches smoothed in by someone who didnt know what they was doing, also has a weird roof on it. its like, de-seamed, but has a spoiler smoothed into it too, well weird :S

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
rust is not bad at all! it was de-rusted and resprayed about 6 or 7 years ago.

i'm going to respray it the same ford imperial blue all over and get the arches smoothed in as well.

Burgandy 174 sport t
Theres a wee mini flies around my way and its a clubman too, The one Id have tbh.

U might know it? baby blue with a yellow roof? raaaapid but its all over the road with the power its got!

power seems low from your current engine but then there are so many different A Series engines, in different states of tune, i guess.

good luck with the turbo conversion (supposed to be quite a bit of a plumming and wiring involved); an extra 100bhp should be terrifying in a mini!

do you already have a straight-cut box? familiar sounding whine in the video; std g'box might struggle with the torque of the turbo

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
power seems low from your current engine but then there are so many different A Series engines, in different states of tune, i guess.

good luck with the turbo conversion (supposed to be quite a bit of a plumming and wiring involved); an extra 100bhp should be terrifying in a mini!

do you already have a straight-cut box? familiar sounding whine in the video; std g'box might struggle with the torque of the turbo

i'm going to put my current gearbox (straight cut box) and diff on the new engine, both should be able to handle the extra power. plumbing looks worse than it is because of the uprated intercooler most people go for.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Whats the spec of the Metro turbo engine. I can't see one with standard internals lasting long with 16psi.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Whats the spec of the Metro turbo engine. I can't see one with standard internals lasting long with 16psi.

internals are surprisingly good, the metro turbo engines came with uprated pistons etc.

16psi will be ok with the uprated gearbox and diff which i already have.

Turbos.
I would personally enjoy it for what it is.

I've driven a fair few modded Minis as i have mates in the scene, and they simply can't handle big power... and i'm talking like 120bhp is big power for them. At the end of the day its a car from the '60s, and a bloke in a shed (no offence) is not going to get round those inherent problems.

there's loads you can do to minis to help them cope with big power conversions, but it all costs and can involve quite a bit of re-engineering.

the tiny wheelbase doesn't help at all (pick ups and estates are longer and better for it) but, if you've a quick, sorted one, they're real giant killers

LY 182
i've had a bit to do with the metro turbo lumps.. fantastic bits of kit when built properly.. i'd spi it if it were me and run it on megasquirt as opposed to the sealed su route