ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MiniMike20's Renault Clio Sport 182 from SA

Clio Sport 182
I have not owned many cars in my short lifetime.

A classic Mini, a deranged Smart Car and now something I never expected to see in my garage, or rather parking space outside - A Renault Clio Sport.

SAM_0346_zpsff255b91.jpg

SAM_0336_zps4d757cd9.jpg

The hunt began after I wrote off my beloved yet much hated Smart Fortwo courtesy of a over-indulgent Porcupine the size of a toddler. The search was bitter and sweet ranging from absolutely ragged Peugeot 206 GTI's, to Smart Forfour's and even a orange Fiat Grande Punto. The Renault was a stab in the dark though, a false hope after a weekend of disappointment and it was the best stab in the dark I have ever mustered.

The car itself is silver, a 2005 model purchased with 134 000km on the clock - Today I completed my first 2000km in it and whilst still a bit jumpy I am absolutely besotted with the damn thing.

SAM_0340_zpsfba4a4ee.jpg

Its chunky and it throws its weight around like a proper badass but something I have noticed and possibly miss is just how conventional it is, just how normal it is, just how unnoticeable it is. Nobody stares anymore except for the occasional VR6 owner or petrol attendant uttering a simple 'Hau, its a two litre?". Its just a normal Clio with nice wheels, flared bumpers and an attitude problem. The differences are subtle like the xenon headlights, the small sports spoiler, the slightly bossier ride height and the badging.

Inside the trend differs slightly, the seats, door cards and interior is laced in alcantara and leather dished up with a thick steering wheel and some of the most supportive bucket seats I have ever experienced and it needs them - The Clio Sport handles like a Go Kart. Forget MINI, forget even go karts, the Clio is staggeringly good, it holds the road, its stable at speed, its fantastic. Sharp twisties, no problem! I am blown away by the way this car handles corners, and how tail happy it is. At first a touch of understeer followed by some 3 wheel action, let go of the accelerator and its more than happy to let its rear end slide - the transition though is of utter control, its chuckable in more ways than any front wheel drive hatch should be.

SAM_0347_zps788643b6.jpg

The motor is accurate, its responsive and when you hit 4000rpm its like a rocket lights up on the back, it starts screaming, stuff shakes and the speedo klaps it from left to right in a manner that is uncanny, its stupidly quick and its silly fun. The steering is heavy, the clutch which I still cant grasp is mechanical, the brakes sharp and the steering feedback is excellent - My only complaint is the lack of feel in the brakes which feel like you are never pushing them hard enough despite the car stopping on a dime quite easily.

SAM_0343_zps9abadb10.jpg

The engine is a gem, its so unrefined and playful. It idles like a truck thanks to the rather heavy cam, rev it and it sounds like a Polo Vivo but holy hell the induction noise is crazy at best, the cats stink if you nail it and it ticks like a grandfather clock if you dont let it cool down after a late night run. I absolutely love it.

But its French which means that unless you feed it frogs legs and french toast daily its going to have some quirks - Lets call it character, personality maybe?

SAM_0337_zps81161697.jpg

The sound system is pathetic, the doors are tinny and there is no sound deadening, and I mean that, nothing! So I have already upgraded the door speakers, applied deadening and its a massive improvement. Its not that great on fuel averaging 8.5L per 100km if I drive it nicely and 11.2 if I am feeling spirited. The controls are superb, cruise control is stupid aggressive, the lights are brilliant, even the use of plastic fenders which make the car look like two shades of silver is cool, the whole package is nothing short of a bargain for R65 000 - Why would you want something else?

SAM_0342_zps2a7534e9.jpg

Overall I am a happy camper, its a Renault so I wasnt expecting it to be so good but I am chuffed as hell to say that while I have driven some spectacular cars ranging from MINI's, to BMW's, GTR's, Ferrari's and more I am positively proud and thrilled to own such a great piece of kit - Highly recommended!

Edit to add, I have decided to call it René, it suits it. Allo Allo! :p

Mike

Clio Sport 182
Dogbone Mounts doing my head in!

Had the engine mount re-welded for the third time, got it strengthened this time though and seems to be staying strong and figured the stinky as hell cat had to go, so had that removed and a straight pipe fitted.

The car felt like ass after though, but about 200km later it feels great and I can hear a really lovely little depth to the exhaust note which is pretty cool. Fuel consumption appears to have gone down despite me driving like a ****.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also wired up my sub/amp - The difference to the sound is amazing even with the OEM speakers, the sound deadening has made a huge difference, now just need to do the rear quarter panels and boot floor.

Also detailed the little bugger on Sunday, so pretty.

Clio Sport 182
The strengthened Engine Mount seems to be holding up but rattles like a mother so not sure whats up now... Something so simple and its a mission.

The decat has turned the car into a little monster, its adjusted well now and it runs so well and clear. Its a little pap below 4000rpm but software will sort that out.

1377126_10152295611119606_932834447_n.jpg

1381556_10152296135579606_467708532_n.jpg

1380686_10152296120864606_922980840_n.jpg

1374248_10152279917829606_1352271303_n.jpg

I decided I could not handle the horrible rattle the doors make when you close them as well as the abysmal sound the speakers produced... So I sound deadened the doors:

SAM_0350.jpg

SAM_0351.jpg

SAM_0352.jpg

SAM_0353.jpg

The difference in road noise, speaker sound depth and solidness is astonishing! Highly recommended - I still need to do the boot floor and rear speaker bins / panels.

I tried a few speakers out at the same time and none were particularly impressive so returned them and refitted the oem speakers this time placing a foam bevel on the speaker surround and fastening them directly to the metal door panel and not the door card itself.

Mike

Clio Sport 182
So coming back from Klapmuts late on the N1 I narrowly avoided a massive accident in the Clio... There was a cow lying in the middle of the fast lane... Managed to swerve off to the right, no idea how I managed it without rolling the car or losing control, good chassis I suppose but still grazed said cow with the left side of my front bumper - It must have been millimeters, literally.

IMAG0215.jpg

First a Porcupine and now a cow - Mother nature is testing my patience I tell you!

Mike

Clio Sport 182
6 Months of Juicy French Goodness! I'm rather proud to be honest but at the same time let me give you the low down on what its like to own a somewhat compromised Frenchie.

For starters I have contemplated selling it and even advertised it on Gumtree more than twice now. Its kind of like owning a Smart Car all over again - That love hate relationship vibe. I love this car immensely, my SO and I have dubbed it "the fun car" because if you need a laugh its ready at all times but its nothing like a GTI, or a Audi S3 or any other normal hot hatch to own. Its tiring as hell because everything is emphasized at all times. The ride is hard, steering heavy, clutch horrific in traffic and the brakes (pads now due replacement) require effort. The turning circle is horrendous but somehow I love it more and more every day.

The rear wiper has a mind of its own, the headunit blows fuses every few months, the xenons are excellent, the exhaust with the decat and removal of the middle box alongside the induction I did it wonderfully aural. The way it hangs its arse out in the corners, the noise, the way the car feels and handles is really fantastic. The economy is tragic but f*ckit.

I miss my Smart more than I ever thought I would (and damn near almost bought a Forfour 1.5 a few days ago) but the Clio whilst a unique offering just seems so much more than a Smart.

Things completed so far:

- Decat incl. Middle Box
- Black Badges / Mirrors
- Headlight Restoration
- Major Detail
- Major Service (This past weekend)
- Sound Deadened Boot & Front Doors
- Sub Install incl. New Splits
- Induction Kit
- Software (End of this week)
- Liquid Yellow Interior Trim (RB7 Colour)
- New exhaust hangers

So a few pictures I selected from things I have done on the car:

IMAG0552-1.jpg

IMG-20140329-00046.jpg

IMG-20140329-00043.jpg

IMAG1681.jpg

IMAG1644.jpg

IMAG1603.jpg

IMAG0774.jpg

IMAG0773.jpg

IMAG0771.jpg

TBC.

Clio Sport 182
IMAG1029.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG1008.jpg

IMAG1096.jpg

DSC01768.jpg

IMAG1026-1.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0121-1.jpg

DSC01789.jpg

Lessons learnt so far include that Full Service History means nothing when monkeys work on the car (sump plug pic reference), dogbone mounts are the devil and driving like a nutter = Very expensive tyres.

Its been a good 6 Months. :D

Mike

Clio Sport 182
Is it just me or is my Clio up to something? I work with a lot of exotic cars and performance vehicles so my Clio is always up for some attention and always sneaking into pics.

IMAG0372.png

IMAG0674.png

IMAG0696-1-1.png

IMAG0774.png

IMAG0816.png

IMAG0821.png

IMAG1096.png

It seems it has aspirations it simply cannot achieve.

Renault Clio Sport 182, ankle biter of note!

Mike

Clio Sport 182
Been on an economy run.... My car has not been over 3000rpm once in two weeks and is averaging 8.2 Litres per 100km consistently.

Mind............. Blown............

http://youtu.be/OInvANrBknU

What does we think of this sound? Single box, 1 inlet, two outlets to two massive exhaust tips. Exhaust tips I got for free for helping a supplier with a paint defect on his car, box I got from a client who fitted it to his car but decided was too quiet and was gonna chuck it away (one week old box)..... Piping will come to R350.00 in total stainless steel...... Its so weird how these things fall into place. The slippery slope is beckoning me.

Setup will sound similar to video posted above - The system will be based on the BTM Exhaust for the 182.

Someone ask me why I havent done it yet please!

Clio Sport 182
Exhaust bits and pieces are ready to go onto the car, all planned out nicely and will go onto the car itself next week - Bit concerned it may be too loud but will see when we get there.

Sadly, yesterday I stripped the rear seats out of the car to assist a client transport some wheels and a bodykit and with all the deadening and sub and carpets out (so they didnt get damaged) I can here grinding from the back brakes when coming to a halt at traffic lights and stop streets.

So onto the lift the car will go today for the rear wheels to come off so I can inspect the pads and then order a new set of discs and pads.... Dependent on pricing (if I get it cheaper then quoted) the exhaust may have to wait - Stopping is more important.

Clio Sport 182
Aaaand now we are up to speed! Thank you to the admin team for approving my posts. Great work and epic site so far!

Clio Sport 182
Just a quick bump - Mods only got around to approving the 5 tons of posts I added. Thank you!

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 182
Decided a little update is required! So first I booked my car for some Gordini Style Stripes in Gloss Black -A Before!

IMG_1745.png

IMG_1747.png

IMG_1749.png

IMG_1750.png

IMG_1751.png

Then, the one thing I really like about the Twingo RS is the emphasized fog lights so we decided to give it a try with some Vinyl:

IMG_1754.png

IMG_1758.png

IMG_1760.png

IMG_1774.png

IMG_1781.png

I was well chuffed with the results but decided the car was crying for something more aggressive so I grabbed a Cupra R splitter and fitted it:

IMG_1801.png

The car looked great but I felt the car had a bit of a Chavvy look to it so gone were the yellow fogs and then sorted! The car looks fantastic, really chuffed!

IMG_1816.png

Might try do the exhaust this weekend but the shop has been silly busy so hoping I can get the car on the lift soon - Software is also a matter of when I get a chance, its not really urgent but I really want it done now. Going with DNA Tuning for my car - Cannot wait!

Mike

Clio Sport 182
Okay I finally got a free moment to do the ECU Read on my car and the file has been sent off to DNA Tuning! Excited much!

Clio Sport 182
So its as I suspected...... I wanted to make a post about it but decided to keep my mouth shout for fear of sounding stupid.

When I did the decat I nervously waited for the Engine Light to come on and it never did. I then noticed what seemed like smoke caused by over-fuelling at night when nailing the car but thought nothing of it... Its not using oil and it keeps up with Golf 5 GTI's on the road quite easily so I came to the conclusion ages ago that the car probably had alternative software on it....

And I just got a reply from our supplier, its not an OEM file on the car. So we are going to do a stock flash to the car and then log before we go any further. Maybe my bad fuel economy wasnt my fault all along?

Clio Sport 182
Loaded a basefile onto the car this morning and the difference in performance is out-standing. :drool:

But first I need to do some hunting as a doos in a Ford Bantam who was driving like like a c*nt last night (who I blocked in the traffic) decided to get his revenge by throwing a bolt at my car missing my passenger window by cm but still damaging the door. The car had Multi-Choice branding on it so called a few people this morning and tracked the driver down - Waiting on a call from the owner of the company with a plan of action - My offer was dismissal of the driver or he pays for the repair, seems fair.

By all means, damage my car, but dont do it in a branded work bakkie.

Clio Sport 182
Added a centre box and its made a substantial difference to the drone whilst still maintaining the original volume I was hoping for - The biggest difference is that the car now sounds like an E46 M3 at higher RPM.... It has a metallic rasp and with the extra 500rpm the sound at 7500Rpm is insane.

Will take a few videos today and share. :cool: