ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missing alternator bolt - 172 cup

172 cup
I'm missing the bottom alternator bolt

3BB66ACF-6917-4F60-8E3A-7CE58E380D7D_zpsgawmw2zu.jpg

will this be ok to drive for the meanwhile, as I work late and I won't be able to get a replacement bolt until tomorrow and I could really do without my aux belt wiping out my cambelt at the moment!

172 cup
Weight of the alternator and the entire tensions rests upon that tiny 10mm nut, get a bolt in there ASAP

What is currently keeping the belt under tension is it just the top bolt on the alternator ? The belt doesn't feel too lose atm I'm just wondering whether I should risk driving it home.

Many.
Seen one (albeit a FF 182) without the bolt that was fine for a while, before the top alternator bracket snapped and threw the belt off.

HBT 172 Cup
Nothing is keeping the tension at the moment. It's a regular m8 bolt.

Whoops had to think twice, quite correct.

Although he will probably find the tension is being held by the bolt that goes through the alternator on the block, which is very much on borrowed time.