ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Hello Jord!

I am reading this post day by day and since you are having lots of trouble with the ECU, is there a special reason why you didn´t fiitted an Engine Management System(Fuel Tech, Megasquirt)??

Hope you tackle this problems before Donnington!

Best regards

(sorry for mi s**tty english)

In hindsight I should have fitted an aftermarket ECU from the start and it would have saved a lot of hassle...

Buuuuuttt I didnt and dont see the point now when im going to be breaking it at the end of the year to start something new!

Hello Jord!

I am reading this post day by day and since you are having lots of trouble with the ECU, is there a special reason why you didn´t fiitted an Engine Management System(Fuel Tech, Megasquirt)??

Hope you tackle this problems before Donnington!

Best regards

(sorry for mi s**tty english)

a stand alone brings it's own set of problems, be they extra work or expense, and when you connect an unregulated alternator to a stand alone ECU the results are the same, just more expensive to fix.

I run a stand alone on my race car and an unlocked Sirius 32 on my road car. Both have been 100% reliable, but I don't need the extra features or expense on the road car.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Yeah, I've got no chance of decoding another and getting it back before the weekend so Andrew is kindly lending me his for Donington, then I'l see what to do after that....... I've been looking at what we were talking about last night too much lol.

thought you might and if you do it, it will be epic.

Nah, definately not. Done it to death now, and everyones done the same lol.

Something a bit (well alot) more custom with a special engine... Will have to see when the time comes....

Nah, definately not. Done it to death now, and everyones done the same lol.

Something a bit (well alot) more custom with a special engine... Will have to see when the time comes....

I've always fancied taking the running gear from one of these:

300px-Renault_Magnum_VEGA1.jpg

and building a 2 seater open sports racer in classic 'special' style.

Maybe a modern version of this... but truck sized :eek:
4657875200_444376c0e9.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Just to echo the above really, proper little weapon of a car and a shame to see it being broken up, hopefully someone will come up with a good offer as a whole!

Will be interested to see your next project!

Mk1 Focus RS
Sad to see It come to an end. It's been an awesome read so much inspiration and ideas stolen ;) make sure you get one going on the new car.

Lewis

Cheers for the comments everyone. I never updated this to include Donington last month...

I borrowed an ECU from Andrew Cooke, fitted a spare driveshaft, cleaned it and took it down to Donington..

Good day, apart from the alternator packing up again. I had fitted small LCD volt meter inside the clocks so I could see what the charge voltage is when running, luckily I noticed it drop to 12v just before lunch. Someone had spare, so I swapped regulators and I was off out again... really fast flowing track!

NLP_7951.jpg

_MG_2313.jpg

_MG_2498.jpg

_MG_2315.jpg

Then as you have seen in the previous posts I decided to break it for parts. Pretty much everything has been sold now apart from the Gearbox and a few other spares. I have kept the seats and harnesses for my next project, which left me with this:

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

Shell is on eBay at the moment - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_10409wt_1141

New project has been started too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shell has now been sold, and is being collected next weekend. All I have left is a gearbox, any takers? :clown:

Il hopefully be at Oulton Park on track on the 4th of November if anyone wants to see the new project!