ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

What engine is it from? 200sx or skyline or something?

As Bren says... SR20DET from an S15. Also come in the S14/S13/Pulsar GTiR etc... all pretty much the same engine bar a few things. S14/S15 versions have VVT usually, and the S15 has bigger injectors/better turbo as standard.

Something different/unique, plus easier to find without a sunroof (without spending daft money like RHD decent condition ones seem to be) and usually they have been kept in a better climate so no rot!

I've not picked up the car yet, hopefully in the next few weekends il get time to. Ive got tons of parts lying around for it mind, the biggest one being...

04092011_142951.gif

Il get some pictures up when ive made a start :)

Just 240/250hp as the S15 is standard for now...

Plan is to strip down the E30, polybush everything, then get the engine mounted, prop made and running on standard looms/ecu. Doing a cheap November trackday in it then if all is OK with how its mounted il strip the whole thing apart to put a proper cage in over winter, along with aftermarket management and rewire the whole 20yr old looms.

In the future who knows, probably mid to high 300's and try to keep it reliable with a solid power and torque figure. See what happens :) Im not chasing figures, just going to go for decent drivability.

Last edited:
Allsorts for BMW/Nissan and my Passat lol. I will get a list together and PM you what I need, can you check PMs from work etc? or does it have to be email?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Heroic. Shame that you couldn't stretch to the RB, but there's always next year. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it mate!

Heroic. Shame that you couldn't stretch to the RB, but there's always next year. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it mate!

RB26 is the only one worth doing really, but its massive work considering there are only a few 'proper' ones ever been done. See what comes of it in the future....

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
My god Jord. One thing you could never EVER be accused of is being middle of the road.......more like the wrong side of it. ;)

Look forward to seeing this new project take shape!

You are correct, the standard column linkage gives about 2" clearance, I need over 3" for the downpipe. The engine rubber has been mounted higher on the drivers side to give me room for an E36/E46 rack where the pinion is further over, eliminating one of the UJ's from the steering linkage. Its the next thing to be done so I should have enough clearance then..

Different servo and MC to be fitted also, mounted further over, which I would have had to do anyway considering both RHD and LHD cars all have the servo/MC fitted on that side. Lots to work out yet!

CBR1K, F21 125D
Jord you no doubt already seen them, but lots of info for the wiring and build on bimmer forums and e30 performance.

Good luck with it all - it's not too hard a transplant.

Should have been a S85 though ;) lol £££

Yeah ive seen bits and bobs - not too much detailed info about though so its a bit of make it up as you go along too. Ive sacked ALL the BMW wiring off and will be starting from scratch with the bare necessities so I know exactly what is what!

CBR1K, F21 125D
Good man, look forward to this :)

Have you put this on the 'Zone? - lots of people would be able to help on there too if you DO get too stuck.
Doubt you will though.

Yeah Z3 is usually the choice of most, although finding a LHD Z3 rack in the UK would be a task in itself. I'm thinking of moving the column and using a rack from a different car at the moment.

I've seen that on trackaction before, usually hang around on there, know Steve H from doing track days with them etc. I'm aiming to get this running for their Oulton day on the 4th November considering I've booked it!