ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

wait and see ;)
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

^^^ oh i remeber that day lmfao, suprised it made it home with that rig-up brake cable keeping it on

agreed, manual FTW!

had a bearing go on the PAS belt and ran without for a week and loved it!

Day 53

After the issues with the power steering over the past week, I decided to remove the engine completely, swap the steering rack to a manual one, then put the new engine in.

I was starting as it was going dark, but it didnt really matter as once the engine was loose it was just a matter of lifting it out. Started by draining the oil from the engine and gearbox, then undoing the hubs from the shocks, so they could be swung down to allow the driveshafts to be removed. After both driveshafts were removed I put one bolt back through the hub so it would not be leaning on the bottom ball joint all the time until the car was ready to be driven again.

IMG_1347.jpg

The next job was to remove the manifold downpipe and exhaust, then the rear dogbone mount and its bracket, so it would not get caught when the engine was being lifted. Before I went any further I realised that the power steering hose is bolted to the engine and gearbox at various points, so I undid these and removed the line, draining the fluid at the same time.

IMG_1353.jpg

Next I removed the coolant hoses from the radiator, and drained the coolant from the system, then lifted the radiator out. I removed the coolant bottle completely, along with the pipe that links the water system to the heater matrix. The last few things to remove were the fuel lines from under the car, a couple of vaccum hoses and the main engine loom plug under the relay box.

IMG_1356.jpg

I decided to leave the loom connected to the engine, and just unplug the main plug, as the new engine will have a loom on it also. This means when I lift the new engine in, it will be as simple as just plugging it in.

All that was left to do is undo the engine mounts on the left and right, then it would be ready to lift. After undoing the engine mounts, it was nearly 10pm, so I left it for the night, and would lift the engine tommorow morning…

Day 54

After removing everything connected to the engine last night, I needed to lift it out this morning. Quite and early start, and the engine was out within an hour. Found out as I started to lift I hadnt undone the ECU, so I had to remove the scuttle panel and ECU before I could lift it any further.

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

When I had removed the ECU, the engine came out slowly, lifting it bit by bit to make sure it wasnt catching anywhere. Once it was out, I put it onto a pallet on the driveway. I decided to clean the bay, considering there was power steering fluid everywhere after it had been leaking. Also removed the Williams steering rack, fitted just a week ago, as im running manual steering from now on, just cant be bothered with the hassle power steering seems to be causing.

IMG_1370.jpg

After cleaning the engine bay, I moved the engine and put it down on a pallet. I had to organise renting a van so I could move this engine down the road to the place where I store all my other car parts, and to get the new engine from Winstons. Managed to hire a van for the day, but I could not drive it as you have to be at least 23 years old, Nick stepped in to drive me around for the day.

IMG_2308.jpg

Took the engine off the pallet, and back onto the crane. Then wheeled the crane down the drive, and put the engine into the side of the van on its side to make sure it would not move around. Then loaded a few tools, trolley jack and the engine crane into the van also, and set off for Winstons.

IMG_1381.jpg

Winston had already removed everything attached to the engine, so it was just a matter of lifting it out. After a mishap with the engine lifting hoop shearing off when it was being lifted, we managed to get the engine out and into the back of the van with the other one.

Now I had my F7P engine (1.8 16v) and a F7R engine (2.0 16v), the latter is going to be put into my car. The engine had been in the car since the previous owner built a hybrid himself, and gave up due to other commitments. A couple of months back myself and Winston went halves on the car, I was to have the engine and he was to have the rest; Winston had just been using it as a runaround until I was ready to put the engine into mine. Both engines, the crane, jack and tools went into the van fine :)

IMG_2301.jpg

On the way back from Winstons, I had to call at GSF to pick up some new track rod ends (for the manual steering rack) and a new waterpump. Considering that the engine is out of the car I thought it would be worthwile to change the cambelt and waterpump, so it will not need doing for quite a while. After GSF, we headed to Renault, as I had ordered some parts in.

IMG_1387.jpg

I picked up a genuine cambelt kit with new idler and tensioner, an oil filter, and a few other bits and bobs. Once I had all the parts, we headed back to where I store all my spare parts, to add an engine to the collection. Once we got there we reaslied how much of an effort it was going to be, as there were steps into the building at every entrance, and the engine crane does not have much ‘reach’, it will only go as far as its legs. We ended up going through a side door, onto a pallet trolley, and dragging it through the building, up more steps, nightmare! Eventually had it on a pallet in a safe place after a few hours.

IMG_1385.jpg

Last thing to do was head back to my house and unload the engine. Lifted so many engines today it was a doddle, fitted perfectly in the front of the garage. The engine has the loom still attached, along with all the coolant pipes, so its as simple as dropping it in, connecting the pipes and plugging one plug in. A Williams ECU was also included with the engine, as the engine would not run with my Valver ECU.

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

I have had to take a few things off the F7P engine, like the standard airbox and ECU casing, to use on the F7R. This isnt really a problem as the other engine is going to be in storage until someone wants it, or if I need any spare parts for my engine.

Along with the engine, I picked up a few other bits and bobs from Winston, as he is scrapping the car that the engine was in. I got the Valver/Basic steering wheel (Smaller than my current one), the fixed rear quarter windows + seals, and manual front windows. This means I can now remove the door looms, and some of the main loom, as there will be no more electric windows.

IMG_1391.jpg

Once again, I had run out of time again. Nick headed off in the van and I cleared everything up. Tommorow I am going to fit the new cambelt and time it up, change the oil filter and a few other bits, so I can drop the engine in on friday morning. More soon!

320d

Good that things are going well for you jord, manual rack is a good idea on a car like this, think of the extra weight loss, 800kg's is what your aiming for isnt it?

oh and get the 13's on, they where awsomewhen winston had them on the hybrid you went half on at the warrington meet the other day.

ValverInBits

did you have to chop a small amount of metal out the scuttle to get the engine loom out then?

Excellent work BTW. busy busy busy

did you have to chop a small amount of metal out the scuttle to get the engine loom out then?

Excellent work BTW. busy busy busy

nah there was a little piece of metal with two 13mm bolts, that just popped out once the bolts were undone :)

Golf TDI

its class how you know how to do all this ! lol your not a mechanic or anything are you ?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Good stuff and best way to learn!

I hope its a ph1 willy ecu for immobiliser reasons although I have a feeling willys arent affected like valvers are

alien green rs133

buying a williams easier or does that take the fun away from it :D

good work regardless for driveway mechanics

i love my 2 post lift's :D

Good stuff and best way to learn!

I hope its a ph1 willy ecu for immobiliser reasons although I have a feeling willys arent affected like valvers are

eeeeerm, lol..........fingers crossed i guess :approve:

buying a williams easier or does that take the fun away from it :D

good work regardless for driveway mechanics

i love my 2 post lift's :D

williams is some silly insurance group ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Good that things are going well for you jord, manual rack is a good idea on a car like this, think of the extra weight loss, 800kg's is what your aiming for isnt it?

oh and get the 13's on, they where awsomewhen winston had them on the hybrid you went half on at the warrington meet the other day.

13's won't fit over 172 callipers :(

I'll come over in the morning fella, what time are you dropping it in?

afternoon......gotta go to factory at 7.30am to get some bits off the valver lump...then find a few things.......think jams is gona nip round too

wait and see ;)

what i wus thinking aswell chris updates are needed, went out in it tonight for a bit got pulled by the police FPMSL, god it don't half shift when it gets traction :)

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

Slow ;) only messing. will have to bring it down to mine tomorrow show me what rig ups you have done :p

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

The rig-ups were surprisingly thin on the ground TBH :( I expected more.

Although... fitting the offside trackrod end = RIG to the U.P.

wait and see ;)

LOL jacking the whole wish bone to apply pressure to the ball joint wus riggy but it worked suprisingly

Lionel Richie

put a 100amp circuit breaker on the live wire, easy!

wicked project though bud! i'm liking the 172 running gear setup