ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

R56 JCW
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Sense of humor, didnt find any of that funny tbh, neither sentence was ended in a lol anything else

BMW M135i

Looks pretty brisk, and the induction noise of the F7* takes some beating. Great soundtrack!

going to get some proper videos with the bullet camera this weekend.

Been having a few issues with the battery since the change, not holding charge, keep getting stranded all over the place unable to start the car....something else to sort out...

320d

Well you said you like how you have to contantly work on it jord.

What are your plans now mate? sorting out looks etc or are you just making it more and more hardcore.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Been having a few issues with the battery since the change, not holding charge, keep getting stranded all over the place unable to start the car....something else to sort out...

CHRIST! Been nothing but problems with this car! I hope mine doesn't turn out like that! :(

gopher lay off the dubie and the turtles will go away.

i think the man is right though about the zorst, tbf cant be much worse that the bodge on there ;)

love love xx

Ian

Focus TDCi

going to get some proper videos with the bullet camera this weekend.

I imagine you'll already have done this but check the tension on the alternator belt, mine was doing the same.. turns out it was slipping, the clue was when it eventually fell off lol.

You almost gave me a heart-attack this afternoon, surprise attack from the Jord!

I imagine you'll already have done this but check the tension on the alternator belt, mine was doing the same.. turns out it was slipping, the clue was when it eventually fell off lol.

You almost gave me a heart-attack this afternoon, surprise attack from the Jord!

ha!

belts fine, nice and tight. can see the alt spinning

tried two batteries now, seems the alt isnt charging, just ran out down the road again....jumping it works every time but once its off, cant start it again

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Some good updates, looks like your making good progress. Mk1's are animals to work on, def not for the faint hearted!

Keep the updates up!

Day 64

Only a small update as ive been busy, and not had time to sort any of the little problems on the car. After the problem I had with the battery going flat all the time, it turned out to be the alternator wasnt properly connected, so the battery wasnt being charged.

Ive also been getting a intermittent clunking under braking, and when pulling way, which I had a good look around for a cause today, but couldnt see anything wrong. I got some manual front window mechanisms and fixed glass rear quarter windows from Winston not so long ago, so decided to fit those. I wanted to replace the front windows with manual, so I can remove the door looms eventually.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

I also fitted fixed rear quater windows, as I think they look better than the pop out ones, and can also easily replaced with plastic ones to reduce weight further if I wanted, as the type of seal allows for it.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Not much else to update, only that the gearbox is still leaking slightly, and I dont know what the knocking is coming from the front as mentioned earlier. Got a few more updates to come soon…

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Coming along nicely jord. I want a drive ;) We'll have to meet up some time.

nah, proper exhaust, single box i think...we shall see soon

side exit will be kept for a laugh, 10 min job to swap between exhausts ;)

320d

Yeh single box will be good jord. What exhaust did it have on the doner car, it sounded nice when whinston had it at the warrington meet.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

nah, proper exhaust, single box i think...we shall see soon

side exit will be kept for a laugh, 10 min job to swap between exhausts ;)
Need alot of paste to do that ;) :rasp:

looking good, not too keen on the non opening rear windows though, they look.... weird. what model clio they usually off??

keep up the good work :)

they are off a 1.2 beebop, or the likes

I only got them so i can eventually run polycarbs when I have the money :)

Small Update...

After fixing the alternator/charging issue, another problem has reared its head. I've been getting a knocking/clunking coming from the front end, that is drivetrain related....its getting worse. Everything's tight, new bushes everywhere, ball joints are all good...anyway, from another site i posted on...

Ok....been getting a big clunk when pulling away, and braking, from the passenger front left side (it sounds like), could be anywhere front end wise.

I can feel the clunk through the pedals, and steering wheel.

Under braking, as soon as I touch the brakes, the steering wheel will move slightly to the left, then pull itself that way under more braking. Not sure if that's related

Also does the clunking when pulling away, and when driving slow speed full lock left.

Also sometimes, when driving, the steering will be driving straight with the wheel a few inches to one direction, then after ive stopped/pulled away and got another clunk, the wheel will be back straight when going in a straight line? god knows...

It wasn't so bad in the past, but its getting worse gradually, and the car doesn't feel safe to drive.

My setup is:

Clio Hybrid, 172 Hubs, 172 Wishbones, Powerflex bushes all round, 172 Driveshafts, Williams ARB, 172 Calipers, Pads & Disks, Williams FK Coilovers, Manual Rack.

Ive had both sides off, and checked everything is tight and secure. Ball joints are new, everything I can see is tight as it should be.

Ive spent days trying to figure out what this is now, and I have no ideas left. One thing I did notice was, when jacking the car up, the wheel seems to move outwards, horizontally, as it comes off the ground....not sure if that's normal, I thought usually the top of the wheel fell inwards slightly, but it seems its the whole wheel in this case!

I jacked both sides of the car up, and pulled/pushed the hub in loads of directions, there seems to be a bit of play in the struts themselves, where they go through the strut top. The top mount is in the correct order, and everything is tight. I was told this bit of play is normal?

Either way, the knocking is getting worse, and I don't know what it is. Ive only been running this setup for a week or so, well, wide track/172 gear for around a month, then swapped engine a week ago, and its been gradually getting worse....As I said like, everything is tight, bushes brand new, ball joints new and tight....what else is there it could be?

long story short, ive still not found out what it is, the only thing left to check is the driveshaft bearing, and hope it is that.....

few things on hold until its started, like getting it tracked/aligned, then weighed, and then getting it rolling roaded (hopefully this week)...

wow dude, this looks like a nice project! I can't wait to see some engine mods... :approve:

Also I didn't realise how good the colour looks until I saw it at the last pub meet! x

f**ked ph1 172

I had clunking on my clio and it was one of the ball joint bolts slightly loose. the 2 16mm bolts to the wishbones.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Sounds like a driveshaft issue that mate, the tripod ball bearing unit sounds nackered. Happened on my old hybrid, one of the tripods came loose and the bearings emptied in to the gearbox... did exactly the same as what you have described.

shittttt......i guess il have to drain the box and take that one out, you on about passenger side that goes into the box?