ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

TVR Cerbera
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Already got a couple of gazebos....if i put one of them up id probably get killed!

Anyway, we towed the car to the factory without a box mount on, then ive been doing it there. Put a fresh mount on (with no rounded holes), and a fresh rubber top bit.....put it all back together with two bolts and the rear brace (left snapped thread in for now)....everything has TONS of locktite on...

From this, noticed a few things. 1, engine is now level again. 2, the exhaust manifold isnt blowing at all now, sorted. 3, the radiator pipes now clear (those who know what im on about will know), and dont rub on anything....I think the mounts been loose for ages and the box was further forward than it was meant to be, hence rubbing the hose through! 4, gearchanges are now spot on, not hard at all to get it into 1st and 2nd like it was before!

So all in all, its sorted quite a few problems, i think its all been loose for quite some time (marham or before). Only thing left to do is try and get that thread out so I can run all 3 bolts in there rather than just the two.

we noticed the rad hoses rubbing at Marham if you remember. glad you got it sort of sorted! lol

yeah^ exactly...there is about an inch clearance now!! must have been like that for ages

just gotta get that one snapped thread out then a new bolt in, and hopefully it should be fine....all the bolts are at 50nm now so defo the right torque!

Not done anything on it today, been stripping the last bits off the blue car all day, pics later....its going to the scrapper tomorrow lol

E36 328

Got a lot going on here that we dont know about havent you foxy lol ;)

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

Finally going tommorow, been sat there for a month....Had a solid few days finishing removing anything I needed, few things left on that were either broke, worthless or rounded off....that reminds me, il remove the fuel cap too :cool:

Bottom end is in the car to go with it tommorow, as its siezed....removed the head and anything of value from the block, then chucked it in

Shell is rotten along the underneath of the sills, under both front arches as can be seen, and the rust is coming back on the rear arches even after a re-spray not so long ago...

Bye bye 449 16v!

making room for the project originally, but cant work at home anymore, lol.

I was gona use the windscreen for mine, but oddly its got a big crack at the bottom right hand corner

yeah I have mate, can meet you somewhere with it when i sort the mount or you can pick it up...

Cams arent in yet nah, just took them out of tooneys today. Not sure when they are going in (plan was before FCS), but with all this s**t from the neighbours dont know now.

Ideally wanted to get engine out, swap boxes, fit cams, time it up and put it back in....but need somewhere to do it now

if you can find a way to get everything to mine mate we can do over monday and tues, already cleared it, its not a prob....

thanks for doing it mate, cant knock Jord for all the effort and care he put into it. I'd rather someone like him work on my car anyday of the week than a stealership

as for his neighbours, i was in genuine shock at how pathetic they really are....

mini CS meets at tooneys from now on then, no neibours to worry about lol ;)

JDM Dc2

bye bye...lol

is your mum still not gonna let you work on your car on the drive now even with twice as much room?...

Fitted the schricks this afternoon, timed up runs fine etc etc...

Drove it from my grans to home (under a mile), was idling at home for 10 mins or so, then drove a few miles down the road....When i stopped, had quite alot of oil leaking from underneath...seems to be coming from the camcover/cambelt area :(

Just got it back home as soon as I could......but there was no oil at all on the driveway (bearing in mind it was sat there for 10 mins idling)....so its only started leaking as I left home to go on a drive......no idea what it could be!

Will do a proper update shortly

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Doesn't sound too good but I'm sure you'll fix it.

Skoda Fabia vRS

so im ordering those cam seals when i get in work tomorrow then ? :)

JDM Dc2

proper cant believe this is leaking now, seemed like you checked everything, like you said everything was sound until we got back to yours, its only started leaking sice you gave it the beans to adams lol... sure youll sort it tmoz when you have chance once your mums gone work...

1.4 phase 1

ah i was going to go back and read this to understnad what is going on but with 142 pages no chance lol.

Ok...todays work...Bumper and bonnet off...

IMG_3392.jpg

Cambelt covers off, cams, pullies and crank locked at TDC...SO much easier with the proper timing tools...

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

Rocker cover and original cams removed...

IMG_3398.jpg

Schricks in place :)

IMG_3400.jpg

Then put it all back together, cams timed up perfectly, checked it a few times....happy with it. Put cambelt cover and mount back on, then all the rest....started first time...

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

Still on the standard map, drives OK, needs that sorting ASAP though...Well, once the oil leak is sorted!

ITB'd 182...

Didnt think it would of been yours! lol

You got the all clear from your Mam yet?

nah, aint happening! shes made her mind up this time lol!

Gonna try and rectify the oil problem in the morning seeing as shes at work though, lol

ITB'd 182...

Love it!

While the cats away and all that!

Any idea where its coming from? Any strange noises?

nah runs like normal, no odd sounds etc...

Its either going to be a cam end seal or the cap on the end of the dephaser.....sure they were both ok though!

ITB'd 182...

Fingers crossed its a quick and easy job and it will all be good for next week :)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member

Just read the majority of this thread, taken me a good few hours! All I can say its awesome. Respect for doing the work yourself. Great read and hope you get the oil leak sorted :)

106 GTI

did you notice any extra power on the standard map or couldnt you give it the big one?

it only seemed to start leaking after I gave it some beans (upto 7k).....definitely wasnt before that as there is nothing on either driveway.....

defo feels like more torque, but didnt do it again so not noticed much tbh, drove it home under 2k revs....so will just have to see!

Exhaust manifold is also blowing again, no idea why as the mount is still in place and tight, so something has shifted somewhere i think, wont be helping with power at all either...