ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

kettering with the clio16valver lot, meganesport are in the other kettering one iirc

done quite a lot on the blue valver today, last parts removed, its bare now!

Cleaned up the near new JB3 (1.8 16v) box that was on it, not that old....previous owner had it from renault....Came up nice after a very quick jetwash...

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

Oh...and the bonus (why its going in mine), it has a bolt in diff, instead of the crappy circlip :)

IMG_3347.jpg

Done loads more too but no pics, stripping off everything of any value that could possibly be sold at some point...

Also picked up a 1.2 dash top from the scrap yard, as im not running the middle 3 dials (oil pressure/temp/level). I have other plans for those readings in the near future so decided I didnt want the dash top to be shaped as it usually is for them!

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

If i can get it done cheap enough il have it flocked, but either way thats going on shortly :)

More soon.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

nice original mats there!

save the bonnet catch for me, ta :D

340i

£50 for the dash top flocked!

In fact the guys who did my flocking already have a none 16V MK1 dash top, which has already been flocked ;)

IIRC £60 posted anywhere within the U.K

Exhaust manifold has been blowing worse and worse since brands, after having a look I noticed the engine was leaning down on the gearbox side....so I set about looking at it this morning....

Thought the rubber was worn as it was leaning one way, but after taking the battery mount off to expose the part that bolts to the gearbox, the bolts were fingertight!!

one of them has sheared off (thread is stuck in the box), and the 'brace' for the mount has snapped clean off also...more fun :dapprove:

pics shortly.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Cool cool! Looking forward to seeing this car more than most at FCS!

so I thought, whys the engine leaning, oh....a fooked mount!

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

but oh no, the bolts were hanging out, and the brace had snapped clean off...

IMG_3358.jpg

one bolt had sheared off...

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

And the holes on the mount ovalled...

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

fcuks sake.

left mine for today, tooney came down around lunchtime, time to remove the schricks!

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

Schricks are furthest away in picture. His standard cams are now back in, timed up and running fine :) Just after we finished it all kicked off with the nighbours again, as they seem to have no life. Ultimatum from my mum is I cant work on the car here anymore whatsoever, so im a bit stuck now!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

if your not making a nuisance of yourself the neighbours cant say anything surely?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

if your not making a nuisance of yourself the neighbours cant say anything surely?

that's what I would've thought

of all the shite 'youths' can get up to, surely tinkering with a car on a driveway should be fine :S

time to invest in a hoody, park bench and some white lightning ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

i know! surely you would if the neighbour got a tiny bit of sense, they'll realise there not causing havoc by messing with the car on the drive instead of hanging around at the bottom of there drive trying to look all 'ghetto' and giving the 'youths' a bad name!

if you see where im coming from!

thing is, my mum uses any 'incident' as an excuse to stop me doing the car

"ive had enough of cars in bits all the time and the neighbours must be too bla bla bla", i was like give a s**t its naff all to do with them, then all i get is "well I have to live next to them"

pathetic....4th time its happened now and its the final straw....cant do the car here anymore, and ive got nowhere else to go as of yet!

f***s sake bad news (engine mount and the neighbours)
so are the cams actually in now?

btw, you got that drivers side window saved for me still?

yeah I have mate, can meet you somewhere with it when i sort the mount or you can pick it up...

Cams arent in yet nah, just took them out of tooneys today. Not sure when they are going in (plan was before FCS), but with all this s**t from the neighbours dont know now.

Ideally wanted to get engine out, swap boxes, fit cams, time it up and put it back in....but need somewhere to do it now

'92 172, Lotus Elise

what about ben_p's place... i'm sure his folks wont mind :rasp:

christ, still quite abit of work to be done still then

im in no rush to pick it up, as my valver decided to eject one of its brake pads yesterday so its going back to the garage that was suppose to have sorted the rear brakes, i would do it myself but i have already paid them for the work so they can get it right lol

ill let you know when i can pick it up, might be back in the RT when i do though aha

cheers

Audi TT 225 Quattro

ah s**tter about the neighbours mate:mad: personally id be telling them to f**k off, some people just like to moan:rolleyes: if you can afford it try renting out a local garage???

also did you get adjustable pullies with the cams?

ah s**tter about the neighbours mate:mad: personally id be telling them to f**k off, some people just like to moan:rolleyes: if you can afford it try renting out a local garage???

also did you get adjustable pullies with the cams?

yeah, told them to f**k off many a time, its just my mums gone off on one now and there is no way around it this time!

Looked before I started the 172 conversion for a unit, looked for over a month and found nothing within a reasonable distance, so i might have another look around...

No adjustable pullies, not sure how they would work on an F4R as the pullies are floating on the cams, there are no keyways. Also the inlet cam has the dephaser pulley which shifts the timing at a certain RPM

Ph1 172 + Combo van

Some people just have nothing better to do other than moan.

Is your garage not big enough to get the car in?

TVR Cerbera

yeah, told them to f**k off many a time, its just my mums gone off on one now and there is no way around it this time!

Looked before I started the 172 conversion for a unit, looked for over a month and found nothing within a reasonable distance, so i might have another look around...

No adjustable pullies, not sure how they would work on an F4R as the pullies are floating on the cams, there are no keyways. Also the inlet cam has the dephaser pulley which shifts the timing at a certain RPM

You don't need adjustable pulleys, only if you remove the vanos do you need an alternative pulley. the only advantage is the OE pulleys are a bit heavy vs ali ones

i would have to remove the wingmirrors to get it in, then I would have no way of getting out lol

BMW M5 & E36

I've got a 2x2m pop up gazebo with sides, swap for bonnet/bumper off the blue one :D

Already got a couple of gazebos....if i put one of them up id probably get killed!

Anyway, we towed the car to the factory without a box mount on, then ive been doing it there. Put a fresh mount on (with no rounded holes), and a fresh rubber top bit.....put it all back together with two bolts and the rear brace (left snapped thread in for now)....everything has TONS of locktite on...

From this, noticed a few things. 1, engine is now level again. 2, the exhaust manifold isnt blowing at all now, sorted. 3, the radiator pipes now clear (those who know what im on about will know), and dont rub on anything....I think the mounts been loose for ages and the box was further forward than it was meant to be, hence rubbing the hose through! 4, gearchanges are now spot on, not hard at all to get it into 1st and 2nd like it was before!

So all in all, its sorted quite a few problems, i think its all been loose for quite some time (marham or before). Only thing left to do is try and get that thread out so I can run all 3 bolts in there rather than just the two.

JDM Dc2

finally some good news jord! now get the car back to the factory and get the cams in!! lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

A box mount sorted all that? I might have a go in my ph1 see if it solves the fact its a b**ch to get into first when moving, even a little! Good work though!