ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

cant have surely? it drove for 3 miles after the puddle completely fine...

drove it heavier rain before and its been fine etc...

think a wire may have come loose somewhere....will see tommorow!

plugged laptop in, no faults...

tried to start....fired up first time?!

Just checked the wiring, all seems fine. God knows!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

plugged laptop in, no faults...

tried to start....fired up first time?!

Just checked the wiring, all seems fine. God knows!

sounds like mine lol

wouldnt run before fcs, then got it running on monday, sparky was round last night so tried to get it to cut out again so he could trace the fault

started every time! :rolleyes:

i think my ECU connector got wet...

I relocated my ECU to the scuttle the other day, ran fine etc, then had a LOT of rain yesterday, and it didnt want to start...

Towed it home, left the ECU off, not rained all night and this morning, plugged it in and started first time....so im guessing its dried out...

Ive checked all the wires for broken joints, RSTuner shows no errors, so it must be ok lol

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive got some silica pouches if you want one mate to put inside

Ive put the one from your car inside it, from inside the ECU casing lol

Did you manage to speak to Ant? Or when he is back in?!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Ive put the one from your car inside it, from inside the ECU casing lol

Did you manage to speak to Ant? Or when he is back in?!

Aye, he went to Le Mans... lucky git.

Coming to the KK meeting atthe end of the month, Jord?

ive put down as a maybe, will see how far i get with doing things etc

cage is going in on sunday, then got a million other things i want to sort lol

Found a bit of video from when we were on the way to brands hatch, end of may time, before the cams/center silencer was removed...Manifold was blowing then but the scuttle induction noise is still there, lol

[youtube]MvxZVzhzE5c[/youtube]

argh wtf really, wont start again.

Exact same as last time, primes, cranks then dosent run.

So the question is.......What would stop the fuel pump from running whilst cranking, even though it primes OK every single time...?

Skoda Fabia vRS

do you have a new, blue, TDC and modified loom fitted ?

if not its probably that

Got someone bringing me a spare TDC/CPS sensor to try shortly and hopefully that will sort it....If not im going to have to check all the wiring....

Last port of call is dishing out another 50 odd quid to renault for a brand new sensor...

If the car decides to work, im going to go and do a few vids later, finally got my recording box working for the bullet camera again because of my sheer boredom today lol

itl never work right, lol

forgot to ask you....do you know if there is another Marham this year or not?

Also PM coming your way in a min :)

does that mean yours is almost done geesus :eek:

almost :D

drove it back to my house last night and driven it to work this morning, hasn't blown up/caught fire just yet :cool:

argh wtf really, wont start again.

Exact same as last time, primes, cranks then dosent run.

So the question is.......What would stop the fuel pump from running whilst cranking, even though it primes OK every single time...?

this is EXACTLY what mine was doing (and it might still come back!) 12v to coil and pump on ignition (priming) but then nothing when cranking

i got mine to run by pulling the fuel pump relay out a bit so you can get a bit of wire onto the prongs. then whilst cranking connect the constant live prong to the output prong. once it's running remove the bit of wire and push the relay fully in

worked for me, gotta be worth a try :)

But dont know what the cause was?!

Another thing I noticed with it^

I can tell when its going to work... because if i keep trying it primes as you said on ignition without fail, but wont give fuel on cranking... although, I can tell when its going to start as the pump will prime twice in a row, with a split second inbetween, then I know if i turn the key itl fire up, which it does....

But every time after that itl just prime once and still start etc....until it all happens all over again....dont know if your's did that?

no idea what the cause was, although it happened after i had man handled the wiring to get it into the relay/fuse box. we tried to get it to do it again, but it just started up without fail every time

didnt do the twice priming thing

but once its been started for the first time, it will start every time without fail

mine first happened a week or so ago.....went out morning after and it fired up....was fine for a week until yesterday when it happened again....got it going after a few hours, then it happened again.....

got it towed home, pushed it onto drive, turned key and it started! then went out this morning and it wont start again!

Its either gotta be intermittent CPS/TDC fault, wiring or a relay imo!

Matteh says you should get a reading on the rev counter when cranking, needle flicking slightly, which indicates the CPS/TDC is working correctly.....mine dosent so I have a feeling its faulty....

hasnt matteh riggued up his tacho via pin 70 (iirc) which is the tdc signal wire to the ecu

me and you have gone directly from a coil wire, so surely the needle wont move for us?

that's not what i got told ;)

i didnt get a reading from the tdc wire on the ecu, so went to cyl 2 and 4 output instead and got half reading as that's what foxy suggested

your quote:
your rev counter will work fine, we've 100% got that issue fixed. your clocks have been modded already so just plug the correct wire from the clocks (pin 13 on the large connector behind the rev counter) into pin 70 of the 172 ecu

foxy's quote:
for the tacho you take one of the coil signal wires, splice off it, put in a 10k resistor pullup (one side of resistor on the signal wire, one side going to a 12v live), then run the signal wire all the way back to the clocks.....and itl be spot on

meh meh I might have got confused lol!

Im not sure if mines on the ECU or coil wire, cant remember from when I did it......can check later though!

'92 172, Lotus Elise

10k pullup wont work on the coil signal wires, its to 'boost' the ecu output to replicate a coil signal and thus be compatible with the mk1 clocks

trust me, pin 70 ftw, coil signal wire ftl ;)

it won't make a difference when i put this resistor on will it? if i'm on the coil wire?

10k pullup wont work on the coil signal wires, its to 'boost' the ecu output to replicate a coil signal and thus be compatible with the mk1 clocks

trust me, pin 70 ftw, coil signal wire ftl ;)

balls :dapprove:

why didnt i get anything at the tacho when i went to pin 70? not even a little movement from the needle! :dapprove:

just when i had tidied all the wiring up aswell :rolleyes:

wire it upto 70 and put a 10k pullup on it, it should give a reading out no problem

after matteh saying that^, i must be on pin 70, i can double check later though if you are still having no joy

will do

i just thought it was strange how i didnt get any reading at all from pin 70, i shall try again :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise

yeh, most odd :S

i *know* that car had a standalone ecu in it before with the 10k pullup and the rev counter worked fine

I had heard that the mod was done on the clocks, but maybe it was done on the loom!

without the pullup the needle wont budge at all :(

yeh, most odd :S

i *know* that car had a standalone ecu in it before with the 10k pullup and the rev counter worked fine

I had heard that the mod was done on the clocks, but maybe it was done on the loom!

without the pullup the needle wont budge at all :(

that would be why it wont move at all then

ah well at least the wires are close to each other (im currently tapped into coil signal wire at ecu end, so no trouble to swap it to pin 70)

and after you mentioned it i looked for the resistor, but it all looks standard behind the clocks, well, it did :evil:

TVR Cerbera

Foxy, try the fuel relay, cos on 1*2's water gets in the relay box on the passenger inner wing, corrodes the contacts. Also the relay is known to fail and cause no start, but prime iirc

Tried some other relays earlier with no joy, just the same....

Anyway this is what I have now tried:

Swapped crank sensor, which did not fix it.
Removed all conduit from ECU wiring, checked all the joints one by one, all fine.
Checked the ECU plug, seems all fine.
Tried the different relays as said, no change.

Then the starter motor stopped working, could just hear the solenoid firing, but not turning. So turned the engine over by hand, was fine and seemed to 'free' the motor, still wouldnt start.

Removed starter motor, tested it seperately. Works fine. Then connected it to the cars wiring in the engine bay but loose, works fine.

Fitted back to the car, attempted to start again, turns over as normal now, still no start though.

Sat around scratching head for 10 mins, went to start....and it fired up! Left it idling for 5 mins, then turned off. Went to start it again straight away, started up again!

After another few mins, turned it off.....left it a few mins, went to start it...nothing again :(

RSTuner was also playing up, not connecting and stuff at times. When I did manage to get it connected, it had a fault in the memory of 'Ignition Constant Feed' or something....checked all the ECU power wires, all seem fine.

Only thing left for me to try is remove all my extended wires, and replace them all with fresh runs of cable, not cable cut from old looms....hopefully that might sort it :(

ValverInBits

Jees. That sounds a really nasty fault finding task.

The rewire sounds like a good idea anyway, but as you say, I wouldnt hold too much hope. Try and find out more about the fault code?
good luck

fault code is when the ECU power as been interrupted, but I dont see how as of yet lol