ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Yup 'ignition constant feed' or something, checked the earth and power (28 and 29) wires and they both seem fine...

Only thing that was suggested was some of the wire ive used has possibly corroded inside or has a 'dry' spot, as its all been taken from old looms.....this wouldnt be a problem if it was all fresh wire off a reel (which is what im going to try tommorow)....will see what it throws up

TVR Cerbera

The RStuner playing up may be related, my omex can play up sometimes while i'm dealing with other issues!
Get a multimeter on the ecu power at the ecu and see if it disappears while cranking

ValverInBits

I've got an LC-1 wideband lambda. loads of people had trouble with them loosing their calibration while cranking due to the starter taking all the current. The solution was to use a capacitor to keep the voltage to the wideband controller.
Could you be having similar problems with your ECU? is the battery over/under sized in terms of CCA it can supply?

TVR Cerbera

i had an lc-1 too and mine suffered with that too, got rid of it! Lol. However mine is running a standard battery, wish i'd known that before!

Skoda Fabia vRS

if he is still running the battery from my old car, its an 065 and not underpowered

yeah its from your old car, im going to replace all the extensions first and go from there

yeah checked all as they were

all thats changed since this started is me moving the ECU, so it has to be wiring related to be honest...im gona try and resolder a few of them in a minute with fresh wire and see if it makes a difference, if not il re-wire the whole lot of extensions to be sure

managed to fix my multi meter this morning....so first off was to check the perm and ign lives to the ECU...

the permanent was intermittent, sometimes was 12v+ and sometimes 0.1 odd....maybe a dead wire...so replaced that with some new wire, now 12v at both ends....

the ignition live was 12v+ all the time, but replaced it anyway to be sure. That now has 12v+ at both ends with ignition on, so thats fine. Checked all the earths too, all good.

Plugged ECU in and it fired up fine. Turned off, then back on.....turned on fine again. So left it for 15 mins or so to be sure, started up again no problem. So I *think* it may have been a dodgy wire on the perm live. Either way im going through all the other wires checking the continuity to be 100% sure.

Its just started raining so thats put a stop to that for now!

Also a few pictures I just spotted on the renaultsport website from brands hatch :)

_ZZZ2878540x359_Gallery.jpg

_ZZZ3704540x359_Gallery.jpg

still got some more to test/replace.....but it could have just been pot luck and decided to start.....shall soon see when I put it back together shortly if it starts again, lol

Well it didnt start again, has to be a dodgy wire somewhere now. Replaced about half of them earlier, all tested OK.....suppose il have to replace the other half too and see if it works.

It started fine, then i decided to tape the wiring back up and after that, it wouldnt start....meh!

MOT was supposed to be getting done tommorow, obviously not now....hopefully will fix it and get it MOT'd in time for the weekend!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

it's strange that this problem is exactly what mine was (and might still be) doing

more than coincidence?

well upto now ive replaced more wires, had the ecu apart and re-soldered the immobiliser emulator, checked the emu was getting power/earth and outputting, which it is so that has to be OK....

Swapped all the relays in the engine fusebox to no avail...

Just literally taken the loom off completely, going to cut out all the extensions and re-solder it back on as it used to be to see if thats any different.....but im not holding my hopes tbh!

We shall see tommorow when I come to re-fit it...

172 Race Car

So you kept the stock ecu coz standalone was too expensive?

In hindsight you could of used the time you have spent trying to fix it, flipping burgers and bought a standalone with compete loom

172 Race Car

not blaming ecu, just saying that a standalone WITH a fully assembled loom would of prevented about 50pages of this project and F0xy might have some hair left

BMW M5 & E36

Those 50 pages were hardly planned though. Same can be said for some parts of most projects, why didnt you just get X in the first place etc.

Standalone with loom is what, 7/800+? I'm sure if he had that sort of money 'spare' at the time then he might have considered it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing bla bla!

TVR Cerbera

I agree burp, however i wish i'd never bought the standalone i have atm! lol
Renault ecu is a top bit of kit IF you know who can program it for you, quite sure foxy will get to the bottom of it eventually!

firstly....the car WAS working spot on until i decided to move the ecu to the scuttle, ie extending wires....was spot on, only reason I had starting problems is because of the immobiliser being active, as was said

secondly....omex+loom around 800 after the vat, then 300+ to map it....over £1k for something I dont really need yet....maybe in the future though...

TBH if i hadnt messed with the wiring to extend it, it would probably be still working perfectly fine as it was.....but who knows...

Ive just spent the last few hours removing all the extensions, and now the loom is how it was. Will re-fit in the morning and go from there :(

Titanium 182

As if you're still on with this mate, lol :D

Looks sweet in your avatar though!

dodgy soldering?

nah! most have been resoldered

also most wires have been multimetered for continuity...all 'seem' fine....will soon tell tommorow now its back how it was when it was working, hopefully itl run!

just about :)

Removed all the extensions one by one, soldered it back to how it was....what a waste of time that was extending them :(

Anyway turned it over fired up first time...been fine ever since done quite a few miles...

Must have been a dodgy wire!