ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

MK2 Mondeo 2.0 16V Zetec
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

No mate I was getting a couple of ice creams then headed back up the lancs to home. Ive seen that Fezzie about loads of times, looks nice but hasa bit of panel damage on the o/s/r quarter? My brother has pics of it from a joint ford meet he went to. Small world is it not!

No mate I was getting a couple of ice creams then headed back up the lancs to home. Ive seen that Fezzie about loads of times, looks nice but hasa bit of panel damage on the o/s/r quarter? My brother has pics of it from a joint ford meet he went to. Small world is it not!

yeah its from pennington, panel damage is from someone kicking it in a while back.....

hes usually at the ford meets....saying that Im usually there too, small world indeed

MK2 Mondeo 2.0 16V Zetec

Cool stuff. I'm usually found blasting up and down the lancs and that Maccies is a regualr haunt for me (for food anyway lol). Next time I see you both parked up I'll give you a beep ;)

MK2 Mondeo 2.0 16V Zetec

You'll probably have to look in your rear view mirror to find me lol

not much in the way of updates, although will be getting the bulkhead bar welded in tommorow. Exhaust manifold has started blowing again from the downpipe joint, which I think has been caused by excessive engine movement (possibly worn mounts, although there is alot less movement now the 4th mount has been fitted). Anyway, that needs a new gasket and it should be fine again, hopefully....then there isnt much else to sort before Cadwell on the 11th...

Forgot to mention ages back, just after the Brands Hatch day I was emailed by Sarah from PFC about the car, who wanted to know more information and details on it. I passed the info onto her and she forwarded by details onto the photographer Dave Woodall, who some of you may have heard of.....he contacted me regarding getting some photos a few weeks ago, but nothing has been sorted yet...

due to me not even being really sure if I want to go ahead with it TBH, seems every Mk1 clio thats in there is the exact same spec these days, nothing new here! Will see anyway, its hardly in any state to have decent photos taken of it, needs a respray and replacement body panels :boring:

PFC mag covered the brands RS day... but no pics of the Mk1 or Mk2... loads of shitty twingos.. you can just about make out midges wheel in the pics lol

I wouldn't even entertain a feature in PFC..... Kensley are killing it slowly

Did you fit the R5 mount or sheep it and fit the 19 16v one?

Bulkhead bar done, will be fully welded in tommorow...

IMG_4764.jpg

I had around a meter of tube left, so made two more small bars...

IMG_4776.jpg

These go from the main hoop, at the same height as the lower rear stay, upto the door bar... I decided to put these here (for the sake of an extra 2kg) so there is a bit more protection once ive cut the doorskin and bar out, incase I was ever to get hit from the side...

IMG_4772.jpg

That will be the cage all welded and done then....welding tommorow :)

Made a rear towing strap also, which comes out from the hole behind the rear number plate....

IMG_4765.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

While on track it will just hang out and is there if required....when back on the road, just tucks up into the hole and the plate hites it...sorted!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

While that does look awesome, I couldn't live with so much nakedness inside!!

Im used to it now, top dash will be back on etc and clocks mounted, then left for the remainder of summer (if you can call it that).....I hate how the metal inside is all different colors, but itl be reet for now

will be having a full respray inside over winter :)

Ordered the F4R timing tools from Renault earlier, as im putting the standard cams back in for now. Thought I may aswell buy my own tools if I keep swapping stuff, and a few people I know will probably want to lend them in the near future.

Dont trust the Schricks in the engine without the proper map, got two trackdays (11th and 15th) before I sort out an aftermarket ECU, so they can stay out until then.

Picking up some 172 clocks later, as now the bulkhead bar has been welded in the Mk1 clocks sit a bit too high (bar is in the way for them to sit in the original position)...Getting the 172 clocks will mean I can do away with the speedo cable coming through the bulkhead and have a tidier looking clockset/top dash :)

Picked up these this morning...

IMG_5329.jpg

They were pretty cheap...

IMG_5331.jpg

Anyway, Inlets and covers removed...

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

Schricks removed, standards back in...

IMG_5335.jpg

Timed up and ready to go...

IMG_5337.jpg

Fired up first time, drives so so so so much better, dare I say it, its faster lol.

Definately not good running the Schricks without the proper map, but I was only forced to remove them after the poor service from Fastchip, saying he could custom map it then turning round saying he is not doing custom jobs at the moment, after I had fitted the cams.

Anyway, totally different car. The 172 Ph1 Group N map (from RSTuner) is still on there from a while back, drives well. Cant wait to get aftermarket ECU now and put the schricks back in, then get it mapped properly, should be even better :)

I was originally going to take the engine out and swap the gearbox at the same time, but then thought whats the point in draining the coolant etc when im getting a new radiator next week and im going to have to do it all again, so that can wait!

Took me just under 3 hours with a lot of chatting inbetween to remove, clean, re-fit and time it all back up....not too bad :)

If you want to lend the tools for a small fee, PM me lol

More soon.

Clio 172

123.30 for all the tools? Thats not bad at all!

Have you got the exact part numbers for them by any chance? I've rang renault Ireland trying to get them and they keep telling me they don't supply tools anymore:cry:

For reference...

TDC/Crank Pin - 0000105400 - £8.98
Extra Longer Cog + Spacers + Nut - 0000150901 - £16.56
Camshaft Locking Tool - 0000149600 - £40.50
Pulley Locking Tool - 7711381801 - £40.50

:)

BTW your parcel is going via TNT on friday when they collect all my dads business stuff....:D got it back ;)

Few pics from today, quite a bit more done...some of the inside/cage first...

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

Full shot...

IMG_5362.jpg

Bay is still clean-ish after 10k... :)

IMG_5359.jpg

Anyway, spent a while replacing the manifold gasket (again) today, so much better to drive once again now without any blowing, should be spot on for cadwell on tuesday. Also put rubber piping round all the exhaust mounts to stop vibrations, seems to have worked for now :)

Picked up this off Winston earlier too ;)

IMG_5343.jpg

Which is now fitted in a box behind the passenger seat.

I also relocated all the rear loom through the rear quarter and behind the rear bumper, then removed the old battery box and wiring, finally have a tidy empty boot again!

Last job was to fit my rear towing strap....bolted through the chassis with some hefty bolts and washers....tucks up into the bumper when not needed, and plate goes back on....nice tail eh?

IMG_5344.jpg

More soon! :D

The fronts did 2 trackdays and have another one left (along with road miles to make up 10k), so they are on the back now...

Put the backs on the front and they are hardly even worn, good few days left in them yet too....

Just been keeping an eye on pressures on the trackdays and they have lasted well...got my own stock of them built up too, along with a set on the turbines I have lol....plenty spares if needed :)

For sub £30 a corner im not complaining, think ive got 4 that are not on wheels, 4 on the turbines, and the 4 on the williams wheels at the moment....should last me out the year easy which will be around 9/10 trackdays in total for 2009.....

Yeah R888's might let you go a bit faster round a corner, but is it worth £70/nearly twice as much a corner? IMO not at the moment for me..

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

AWESOME MATE, I REALLY REALLY DO LIKE THIS CAR,

dam caps, but adds to the effect,

i will build one of these at some point, its the perfect combination

Im quite happy to leave the scene now... Jord has it more than covered :approve:

Without doubt my favourite Mk1 to date... its all in the detail :cool:

hah....yeah its been fine, i took it for a drive last night to charge it up a bit and its been spot on...

Think i still might get an isolator though just for piece of mind, will have to have a look around...

Just in the middle of wiring up the 172 clocks at the moment....wires wires wires meh!

il be back at somepoint with them lol....the nut from the 1509-01 does not fit into the pulley locking tool like it should....its like 1mm too big?

Freds fitted fine when I used his set of tools....will come and show you anyway

BG 182 FF

car looks awesome, really like the rear tow rope idea, hope you never need to use it though m8

Skoda Fabia vRS

il be back at somepoint with them lol....the nut from the 1509-01 does not fit into the pulley locking tool like it should....its like 1mm too big?

Freds fitted fine when I used his set of tools....will come and show you anyway

no probs, surprised you havent fettled it already to make it fit properly lol