ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

Oh yeah that makes sence....,looks like i have 2 new mounts to make once mines hanging in the bay then....,cheers:D

You need the MK1 boggo spec non-pas mounts for it to fit....so it leaves the 3 holes empty on the front of the block

I *think* a 172 subframe has that hole on the front, but its only a 2 sec job to check

340i

ahhh ;)

I'll have a look tomorrow, but your right about the PAS set-up I can remember the bolt holes on the block hold the lower "half moon" shaped cup mount.

yeah they do hold the cup setup...

get rid of that cr*p and get the boggo spec brackets on ;)

Quite a few jobs done over the past few days in preperation for Marham this weekend, leaving on friday morning and still got a few bits to sort tommorow...

The superleggeras have been done satin black (rattle cans for now)...

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Also fixed all the ghey warning lights on the 172 clocks, alot better not having the ABS/SERV/STOP/etc illuminated constantly!

Picked up some 70mm black ducting, heavy duty industrial stuff, bit too heavy for my liking but it will do for now! Pics of this when fitted tommorow. Replaced the blue samco on the airbox with a black one, too.

Collected 2 x 20L Jerry cans after winning them for £2.61 on eBay, only down the road too, bargins bargins bargins.

Also fitted a black sunstrip to see how it looked, il decide if I like it or not after this weekend..

Still need to bleed the brakes, swap the exhaust manifold/downpipe gasket and tidy a few other things, then its about there :) Got to wire up the bullet camera again when Ive decided on a decent location to put it, considering il have the normal camera on the cage anyway, need somewhere interesting!

Will do a proper update tommorow!

Ive yet to fit them (hate 45 profile tyres), might try one on tomorrow though!

Need to pop the spigot rings in too, halfrauds came through and supplied me with some to order :)

ITB'd 182...

Good progress, Jord!

Should see a nice little weight saving with the O.Z's over the Willy wheels!

i prefer 45 profile tyres, thats what im running lol, just look less baloonish imo

IMG_7209.jpg

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

Passenger side is a bit of tight fit, well very, but it will do for now :)

New exhaust manifold gasket fitted, brakes bled through with fresh fluid. Black Samco fitted for the airbox. Sunstrip done yesterday (still undecided about it but it will remain for now).

Just got the bullet camera left to sort out, then its about ready to go!

Ian

Focus TDCi

I know it's the least of your worries, but I think I quite like that sunstrip - the url logo 'dilutes' it a bit, makes it look more professional. :) Really coming along well Jord, hope it goes well at Marham.

Just got back from Marham, no major problems with the car all weekend! :) Covered about 600 or so miles, and killed all 4 tyres on the Superleggeras, but all in all alot of fun.

The superleggeras make a decent difference in acceleration time, and speed once rolling, just need some half decent tyres on them now!

Another thing I noticed, after coming in from a 15-20min session, car red hot, popped the bonnet off and the inlet manifold/plenum was cold, and the rest of the block/engine untouchable it was that hot, must be them cold air feeds working well :)

Also the starter motor is finally giving up, anyone whos seen the car recently it struggles to start when warm, and it did the same this morning (from cold), so I think its finally going. Hopefully a replacement will sort that.

Had a lot of people coming over looking at the car/asking about it over the course of the weekend after it being on track, mostly suprised faces as to how well it was keeping up, just need them cams back in now with an ECU :evil:

Will do a proper update later with some videos :)

Mk1 F4R

It went well mate it was better than that lol ;)
only if my car was like this one its soooooo mint

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

Ben thinks you should have a bright Yellow or Red lip on your wheels

Dont know, its only 45-50, cant make that much difference really can it? did feel alot different, steering wise too, but still, its quite a bit of weight saved on each corner and it did get up to speed faster than it normally does...

50's are going on now anyway, so Il have to see if the effect is the same, but either way they are staying for now :)

Audi TT 225 Quattro

everything is better once the superleggeras are fitted, better steering, braking , acc etc, all to do with the rolling weight ( or lack of it in this case ) ;) i knew you'd get on well with them:D 45-50 will notice very little difference.....

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

Suppose they do look good all black.

Bright colours please me though :)

As said, no real problems at Marham, so not much else to update. Few pictures and videos below :)

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

Couple from where we were staying...

IMG_7299.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

Few on track...

DSC_1202.jpg

DSC_1583.jpg

DSC_1548.jpg

Here are my favourite bits from Saturday...

[youtube]DbnZ7i2AG24[/youtube]

And my favourite bits from Sunday...

[youtube]uoGBYfJo5Xg[/youtube]

Lastly the one thats usually liked the most...the mistakes :cool:

[youtube]_PxyEci6Z_Y[/youtube]

Of which one was...lol.

DSC_1196.jpg

DSC_1199.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

:approve:

awesome videos espcially some of the mistakes flol

more i see of the car the more i want it!! good effort.

BMW M5 & E36

Daz missing a gear in my car, fail! Could have used some video where me and you played!

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

Cracking videos!

Those tires are well gone!

Do you take two sets with you?
Or just a spare 2 for the fronts?

I usually take another set, the williams wheels are just road wheels now to get to and from places, and the Superleggeras for track :)

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

Ace, what tires go on them, i assume you have a prime and a option? :rasp:

Ordered a new throttle body gasket from Renault earlier, the sticking throttle is beginning to p*ss me off, and its getting worse. Hopefully cleaning all the crap out of it will sort it, as many find on here!

Rear wheel bearing is whirring quite nicely now, suppose I better change that before Oulton.

Apart from that, the oil level hasnt changed in the past 1600 or so miles, thats with two full days on track at Marham, winner. Suppose il keep using my £7 per 5litre oil :)

Few changes soon, few new bits to add, will update then!

Been in the process of hacking up the standard valver AUX dials, to do away with the circuit board. I only want the two oil gauges, Oil Pressure and Oil Temprature.

Ive already got the sensors on the engine, they have been there from the start, but ive only just got around to fitting the gauges. I have cut up the surrounds and backing to convert it from a 3 gauge holder to a 2 gauge holder, which is going to be attached to the rollcage bulkhead bar to the right of the normal clocks, just about fits in the small space available.

Got the sensors wired up, had them in for a day or so, seems the engine runs with a nice pressure, was dreading low oil pressure!

Cold Idle - 6+ Bar
Warm Idle - 3.5 Bar
1500rpm@ 90degrees - 5.0 Bar

Seems like its running with a strong pressure, so will just have to keep an eye on it. Will upload some pics of the rig up gauge holder/surround later.

TVR Cerbera

that pressure seems high to me, are your guages right or is it the quality oil you use? lol

Mehhhhh!

Im running standard valver sender and gauge, from the T piece on the front of the block. Now weather the T-piece is creating more pressure to the sender due to it being forced through the bit of pipework first is one possibility?

Either way its not running at 1 bar so be-reet, its not fucked up yet LOL.

I use the finest 10w40 you can buy, just under £7 for 5L.....;) I really dont see the point in spending loads on oil, I know some swear by it, but ive used this and its not burnt hardly anything....and most of the time its flat out lol.