ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

22mm was perfect, the williams shocks are a tight fit onto the hubs, running with 172 bolts too...

that's Ok then, guess Twingo stuff must be beefier that Williams stuff :cool:

Check where the bottom balljoint pin goes into the upright, I've seen uprights worn tapered, they'll never tighten up.

Check the bearings you're fitting, I can only comment on the ones in my 5, but the cheap ones used ball bearings, and the genuine ones used taper rollers.

Cool, will check the bearings in the morning.

You mean check the hub where the upright goes in? Check if that is tapered?

If it is, does that mean new hub time?

no, check the upright where the 14mm(?) balljoint pin goes in. Use something like the back end of a 14mm drill bit to check it's still parallel. Failing that, you can probably tell by looking at it...

btw, to me the hub is the bit that the wheel bolts to and spins in the bearing, the upright, or bearing carrier is the big cast iron bit :)

Ah yeah, get you now.

Well when I picked up another balljoint today, it was showing two parts. 14mm and 16mm. I just got one the same as the one I had in my hand that was taken to compare with, unsure what size the 172 is meant to be?

If worst comes to the worst, and the hole isnt parallel, il be needing a new upright?

I'm pretty sure the 172 should be 14mm - no guarantee given or implied...

Yeah, if it's worn it's a scrapper. I had a hell of a job getting a pair of decent 16V/Williams uprights, in desperation I bought new from Renault. KERRRCHING

Well, you were correct andrew, the drivers side upright was slightly worn, but i put a new balljoint on and tightened it up seriously tight, the pinch part where the bolt goes through is as tight as it will go and there is no movement at all, so hopefully that will be fine for now.

Anyway, had the wishbones welded up this morning. Instead of mig'ing them, we used Tig. I was told there is no need to weld all the way round, just some short runs, as doing it all the way round could possibly distort the sleeve.

IMG_6842.jpg

Fitted the wishbones back to the car, nice proper fit and the sleeves/bushes in the correct position...

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6850.jpg

Then got the new bearing pressed into the passenger side hub, and built both sides up...

IMG_6852.jpg

Checked everything was tight, balljoint bolts, balljoint pinch bolts, ARB, etc. All good.

Quick picture of the car when it was still on stands, engine bay will be re-arranged slightly shortly, hopefully.

IMG_6855.jpg

Then took it for a quick spin round the estate. Alot better, no clunking or knocking from the steering, nice tight turn and feel. Tracking needs checking though, and I want to double check a few bolts after driving it a bit, but apart from that it should be sorted for now.

Too bad I didnt make Santa Pod tommorow, gona head down there next month hopefully. Still no Trax stand pass either!

More Soon.

Yeah, i just checked it again earlier (50miles later) and its still rock solid...doubt it will stay what way forever though.

Il keep a lookout for one, then will just have to get it machined again to 22mm

Well just got home after a full day doing a cambelt for someone and swapping a cylinder head for someone else, non-stop day to find no post at home :(

No stand pass in sight for Trax, was going to get up first thing and leave but im not heading down on a wim and not be able to get in on the stand :dapprove:

Oh well, nevermind.

The drivers side hub where the balljoint goes into the upright has come loose again, andrew you were correct, it stayed tight for a bit but its worked its way loose within a short while! Hopefully will have another hub en-route from a member on here soon, then will have to get it machined again.

Also been in discussions with someone about another set of wheels over the past week or so, and eventually bought them....just need to go and pick them up now, anyone guess what they are? Jay ;) lol.

So, does anyone want to buy a set of turbines, they are in the for sale section ;) lol.

Been on the lookout for a new top radiator hose that would be a better fit for some time, and found one to use today :)

As you can see the one I was using went right down under the clutch fork then all the back back up to the rad, messy and not a good fit...

DSC00522.jpg

Found this hose of the same bore, and the ideal 'S' shape that I wanted...Its from a Mk5 Fiesta, goes from the block to the radiator on those...

DSC00524.jpg

Cut the end of to get my desired 'S' shape...

DSC00526.jpg

Trial fitted...

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

Then fitted it properly with the outer braiding from the 172 hose to make it look a bit tidier :)

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

Miles better fit, sorted.

The Ingenuity of this lad amazes me! Jord, do you charge to be hired out for the day?

looks good :)

keep your eyes open for another upright though, I doubt you've fixed it - fixed it.

Problem with the hub is back....new one is en route from D4ve, then will have to get it machined down etc, ugh!

Also N/S rear wheel bearing has been leaking quite a bit of grease out of the hub cap onto the wheel, bit of play in it so I guess its time to replace that one too!

Uprated fuel pump should be en-route soon, not really thinking this 190k Ph1 is going to last much longer. Going to run all new lines when this gets put in, with some decent fittings, hopefully in the next week or two.

Got Marham again at the start of october, so thats not long off...not much to sort though just the bits mentioned above, no mad rush for once *touch wood*. After that got two trackdays left for the year, then its off the road and winter rebuild time :)

Last edited:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

what you gonna use for the winter whilst your taking it off the road?

it can't need much more doing to it for a rebuild can it?!

Not sure, going to buy another car (preferably with a tow bar) and I may do my towing license. Thinking big, diesel, barge, that will run without any problems tbh!

With regards to rebuild, its just engine + ecu im going to be concentrating on really. I already have a bottom end, stripped down (the one that was siezed). Going to get crank re-ground, and a full set of new bearings, new rings etc. Then will get another head, revamp that, build it up with the Schricks and it should be ready to go. That way il have a spare 'standard' engine in case I ever need it.

ECU wise ive just got looms to make, fit that once the engines in and get it mapped. Should hopefully make healthy power and be a bit more fun next year.

Il probably do new bushes, bearings, brakes, the usual etc too. Interior will probably be fully re-sprayed (in body color), and the outside tidied, but that will be after the rest is done probably :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

just a bit of a list then.....

nice idea with the towing option. didnt realise you needed a towing license - any info?

If you've had your licence over a certain amount of time (no idea how long, 1997 maybe) you do not need the seperate trailer test iirc.

But its something to do with the weight of the trailer + weight of the car combined being over a certain amount...

direct.gov said:
If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

All I know so far is that my mate wanted to tow cars with his dads merc jeep, and couldn't legally tow a 205gti on a car trailer without the trailer license (got stopped and let off by the police before he passed the trailer test)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

so it seems like if you want to tow a car on a trailer then you need another license then. depending on prices obviously it could be worth it.

Just spotted a few more pics from leigh-anne taken at cadwell in august, thought i may aswell put them in here :)

CadwellPark2009164.jpg

CadwellPark2009165.jpg

CadwellPark2009166.jpg

CadwellPark2009167.jpg

CadwellPark2009185.jpg

CadwellPark2009199.jpg

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

when i enquired into tow licences you didnt get much change from 500notes

Think it depends what class you want on your licence? B C and all that crap?!

God knows, time will tell, still 50/50 on what to do about it!

Spent a while wandering round scrap yards earlier looking for a header tank. Ive bought a 172 Ph1 airbox to replace the scuttle induction setup, and the header tank is going to be relocated to the scuttle panel where the filter was.

Im going to try and get the airbox directly onto the throttle body, but if thats not possible a short 45degree elbow will be used.

Anyway, I ideally needed to find a rectangular header tank, with two holes. One large and one small, as this is what the 172 header tank runs. After quite some time I came across a Fiat, unsure what model but the engine was definitely 2litre or more.

Luck be have it the tank was rectangular, had one large connection and one small, and looked to be a similar capacity to the 172 header tank.

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7017.jpg

Weather the pressure rating of it is any different, or will even affect the system on my car, is yet to be seen, but either way im going to give it a go. Luckily has two mounting points on the bottom of it, so can easily be mounted to the bottom of the scuttle panel without much hassle.

More on this soon!

when i enquired into tow licences you didnt get much change from 500notes

Found out after some research today that the cost for the test only for the trailer licence is £120.

Although, if you do a course over a few days which includes the £120 test fee, your looking at £350-400-450...obviously paying for instruction...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

you could have found a cleaner tank! ;)

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP

Filling the tank with rice and shaking it with some apc will clean the tank out.