ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 f4r'd vs ph2 172 cup vs ph1 172....

172 cup
Myself and a few mates have just joined the Clio scene and are due to track our cars (in the above title) One of us seems convinced that his car is in another league to the other two. Whilst I appreciate how the cars will perform on track will be down to driver abilities etc... Is a mk1 hybrid likely to be better suited as a track car?

BMW M5 & E36
mk2 has a superior chassis but a F4R mk1 can be peddled pretty quickly.

Is that right? :race:

My Mk1 F4R was a fair bit quicker than the majority of Mk2's tbh. Identical to a few others that have been on here over the years.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
A f4r'd mk1 chasing me at oulton park.

from 1:46.

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 cup
Well it doesn't exists anymore but everything is in here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...r-3-Engine-and-Chassis-Rebuild&highlight=f0xy.

A long read though lol

Just a bit of a long read lol... just having a quick read, his car looked like a proper track car build. Ours are more strip the cars, few basic mods, bucket seats and to have fun in. Whilst I appreciate the mk1 will be slightly lighter, it's not all about straight line speed, more about corner speed on track days?

clio valver hybrid
get used to the sight of the back of my car as after our 1st trackday you will be seeing it in your nightmares for months

mesaxo.jpg

172 cup
Ummm... After watching the above vids, it seems a mk1 may well be the quickest? Having said that I still believe alot will come down to driver ability, car set-up, tyre choice and which track..

clio valver hybrid
theres only one way we are going to find out whos is quickest and thats on track will be fun either way

53 Clio's & counting
Didn't ask which would be quicker, as obviously too many variables, was curious as to which would be better suited for track days?

Better suited could mean faster/better feel/cheapest to run etc - IMO the Mk1 doesn't feel as good as the mk2, but mk1's tend to be a bit faster in a straight line due to being lighter, though again IMO a correctly set up mk2 'should' be a bit qucker in the bends but i'm taking such small amounts here that it wouldn't be noticable.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but IMO both just as good as the other

clio valver hybrid
mk1 fully stripped,f4r,jb3 gearbox, bmc induction,racing cat, scorpion exhaust,avo coilovers,polybushed front running eagle f1's

ph1 backseats removed,near on 200bhp on paper (although beaten by the cup already) ktech coilovers polybushed solid top mounts driven by old man

ph2 backseats removed, exhaust, v6 airfilter and coilovers, 888's driven by even older man

think thats the stats lol

172 cup
Depends on its spec and quality of the preb work

The mk1 will probably be stripped more than the other two and at best, induction kits, inlets, maps etc on all cars, it's a bit of fun at the end of the day... Was just curious as to which would be better suited? Straight line I'm thinking the mk1, but any car can be quick in a straight line, I thought the clio's advantage was through corner speed, hence the cup model, suspension set-up and tyre choice as already stated?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I doubt the ph1 has 200bhp.

Due to the Cup having R888's i imagine it would be the fastest on track.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Whoever has the r888's providing the drivers are of a similar standard and not afraid to push on. Good tyres are night and day.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've driven all 3 mentioned variants on track at Bedford. I'd say it comes down to more than even the driver skill, but what the driver feels is comfortable to go quickly in. I like mk1s for the lower seating position, but the column being non adjustable height is awkward. Ph1 172 is a cracking car and doesn't feel a lot different to a 172 cup, apart from the cable throttle.

Ph1 T
I'd imagine it's not going to be long before one of you crash with this racing talk!!

Also if the ph1 isn't on boost,cams,bodies,rs2 it won't be 200bhp no where near.. If it is tho that'll be good on track