ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 172 cat D...worth it?

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
I've locally found a 172 ff in silver (titanium i think) with 38k on the clock. Its was a cat D, looks fine. I spoke to the guy selling it who said its had a new wing, door, stub axle and rear wheel. Is a new stub axle a major thing, what is the stub axle. Anyway the price is £3750 which i though was a bargain for a mk2 with that mileage, even as a cat d repaired.

Do u think its worth buying, he said theres been no cutting/welding/filling etc etc. Do u think there could be underlying problems for this clio, i would really love a 172!:)

Its not on ebay/autotrader or any of the ther atm and im not saying where it is as i want it:rasp:

www.renparts.co.uk
check all round the car, people often tell you damage has been somewhere so you don't notice it elsewhere, take somebody in the know.Have a good look down the panels for paintwork etc. If you pull away the thick seal that goes all the way round the door where the rear quarter joins it gives away if the quarter has been replaced as the welds will be nothing like the factory welds.

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
check all round the car, people often tell you damage has been somewhere so you don't notice it elsewhere, take somebody in the know.Have a good look down the panels for paintwork etc. If you pull away the thick seal that goes all the way round the door where the rear quarter joins it gives away if the quarter has been replaced as the welds will be nothing like the factory welds.

cheers thats gd to know, he said when he got it the car looked as though it had spun badly into a kerb or something so thats why the rear wheel and stub axle was replaced.....what more serious problems could this produce?

How much is RAC man? i think there are cheaper alternatives than rac. i dont know if i can be arsed to go see it as its 200 miles away :S i guess it would be worth it if the car was sound. more opinions would be good thanks

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Having a Cat D makes no difference to insurance, you don't have to declare it and they don't ask.

I think it's too expensive though.

Dan

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
most insurance companys want all the info on it ike pics and where repaired and if you spank it u will get about 2p back

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I've never in my life been asked by an insurance company if my car has ever been damaged or repaired, and we never asked where I used to work. That's not to say some companies don't ask of course I suppose!

Dan

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
I've never in my life been asked by an insurance company if my car has ever been damaged or repaired, and we never asked where I used to work. That's not to say some companies don't ask of course I suppose!

Dan

they def do care and you should tell them if they ask or not

if you dont tell them they will not pay out and a insurance company hpi

a car if in a crash before they pay out

Having a Cat D makes no difference to insurance, you don't have to declare it and they don't ask.

Dan

of course it makes a difference...people with cat c/d vehicles pay more for insurance...

as soon as you quote the reg...it will automatically come up on the insurance companys computer...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Meh, didn't matter where I worked. I don't care enough to argue with you both though :)

Dan

6/468 17poo
i wouldnt bother, unless he has proof what was fixed and its all straight, offer him 3k and see what he says as theres a few about with say 50k on going for around 4200, i nearly bought one last year without know and neither did the guy selling and im glad i didnt!!!

you can never be sure what actually happened to it, that would be my worry!

Ryan

www.renparts.co.uk

Dan

of course it makes a difference...people with cat c/d vehicles pay more for insurance...

as soon as you quote the reg...it will automatically come up on the insurance companys computer...

doesn't come up on the insurance companies computer, you are wrong. Never had a problem insuring cat C/D vehicles, its not compulsory to perform an HPI check so you might never know.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

doesn't come up on the insurance companies computer, you are wrong. Never had a problem insuring cat C/D vehicles, its not compulsory to perform an HPI check so you might never know.

I was hoping someone that had insured one and knew the truth would be along, ta :)

Dan

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Never heard of insurance company's asking that either.

If it's road legal, then that is all they want.

Anyway, I would start at £3k and I wouldn't pay over £3.5k for it.

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Ive had many cat D and C cars (repaired myself) and have never had any problems getting one insured and it doesn't cost any more than another car.

PH2 172
I know which one your on about fella.

Satnav aswell, thats a nice feature :)

ive had Cat D cars before and insured them no problem.

i have tried to insure a cat c car in the past...and IT DOES AFFECT THE QUOTE...

insurance companys view a cat c/d car as a vehicle which was once scrap metal...this assumption is reflected in any quotation which one may be given...

p.s. if the person who started this thread is refering to the silver 172 on autotrader...beware...the car seems to have been repaired on the cheap...as the engine bay is still full of primer...

Clio 200 FF
I've locally found a 172 ff in silver (titanium i think) with 38k on the clock. Its was a cat D, looks fine. I spoke to the guy selling it who said its had a new wing, door, stub axle and rear wheel. Is a new stub axle a major thing, what is the stub axle. Anyway the price is £3750 which i though was a bargain for a mk2 with that mileage, even as a cat d repaired.

Do u think its worth buying, he said theres been no cutting/welding/filling etc etc. Do u think there could be underlying problems for this clio, i would really love a 172!:)

Its not on ebay/autotrader or any of the ther atm and im not saying where it is as i want it:rasp:

well this give a rough price guide for a 172 not on hpi register so you should knock 30% or so off the cat d car price

Renault Clio Renaultsport 172
2.0 Petrol 3-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2002 02
Mileage: 38,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£4320
Average condition:
£3890
Below average condition:
£3430

it would be valued at £3700 in p/x so if you bought the cat d car and traded it in that would be worth maybe £2k - £2.5k so you'd be throwing away £1200 - £1250 straight away

check on ebay as some come up for sale cheap on there

www.renparts.co.uk

i have tried to insure a cat c car in the past...and IT DOES AFFECT THE QUOTE...

insurance companys view a cat c/d car as a vehicle which was once scrap metal...this assumption is reflected in any quotation which one may be given...

p.s. if the person who started this thread is refering to the silver 172 on autotrader...beware...the car seems to have been repaired on the cheap...as the engine bay is still full of primer...

they don't view them as scrap metal at all, if they are willing to sell the cars to the salvage traders as repairable post accident, then theyre obviously happy about them going back on the road. If you mention its a cat D to them they do ask for photos of repair etc sometimes, but don't mention it (as they wont ask) as ive said before a HPI check isn't compulsory so there is no proof that you are aware.