ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 172 engine problem!

Iceberg 2002 172
On the gf's 172 something happened earlier..

She had the car running for around 10 mins and she revved to take off (to about 2k maximum) and something under the bonnet made a shearing / metallic snapping noise.

Now the car idles rough (hovers just under / just above 500rpm) and seems underpowered (havent ragged it, just nursed the car gently home)

There is also a rattling / knocking sound coming from the cam cover area.

Friend told me it could be a cam de-phaser? not sure what this is/does but apparently is very expensive.

The car is a 2002 54k FSH monaco 172 with only 1 previous owner and has behaved perfectly untill now.

any help appreciated
matt

Iceberg 2002 172
Havent tried anything yet as im not familiar with an F4r lump, too technical for me lol i prefer F7p/r for maintenance!

I will have a look at that though thank you

any other suggestions please?

Iceberg 2002 172
Problem found!

Snapped cambelt idler smashed the cover and stripped the cambelt, was extremely lucky not to damage the actual engine or timing.

Has gone to renault for a cambelt change, damage to be repaired and to have a new backbox fitted. and they found a long list of problems...

the first 2 we knew about:

Front tyres nearly on limit
Backbox baffles gone

New problems:

2 cv boots gone
engine mount on way out
gearbox mount on way out
and few other minor issues.

Bearing in mind it is my gf's car, does not have a hard life at all! very rarely goes past 3.5k and never goes near the redline! and doesnt get thrown into corners or anything strenuous!

She bought the car 2 months ago for 3.5k with 52k miles, FRSH, monaco blue immaculate paintwork and with private plate. starting to look like a lemon to me :(

matt