ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk5 gti edition 30

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
me and sofaboy went for a test drive of an edition 30 today at a local vw dealers, it was black with all the extras and had 17500 miles and was £15500, was really looking forward to this because i have heard alot about them.

set off on the test drive and notcied how horribal the clutch was, finally got it on a dual carrageway and gave it some welly. i was expecting a roar from the exhaust and to be thrown into my seat and i just wasnt, it was very comfy and very quiet, it hit 100 alot faster than my 200 but didnt feel like it was quicker, really wasnt impressed by this at all.

i know with a re map etc it would be a totally differnt car but as a standard car it just didnt have any wow factor like the 200 did, it didnt push me into my seat and there was literally no noise from the engine even when i took it all the way through the rev range.

safe to say i was not impressed with it at all, felt like i was driving a normal golf.

lynden

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thats the beauty of them imo. Much like a decent 3 series, very refined and boring. But when you push them, very entertaining.
Can't comment on a 200, but I'd have one over a 197 every day.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
it didnt even put a smile on my face and as soon as stepped back into my clio i was grinning like an idiot, not impressed at all by this

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
it was just so quiet aswell, when i put my foot down i like abit of roar and exhaust noise but there was literally none at all and my step dad has a golf gt tdi and that it much better imo because u can here the turbo and the exhausts

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Thats the beauty of them imo. Much like a decent 3 series, very refined and boring. But when you push them, very entertaining.
Can't comment on a 200, but I'd have one over a 197 every day.

yeh they are really good, mines really starting to loosen up now, done 14500 miles and the exhaust sort of rumbles and pops when deceleratiing! i love it

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
it was just so quiet aswell, when i put my foot down i like abit of roar and exhaust noise but there was literally none at all and my step dad has a golf gt tdi and that it much better imo because u can here the turbo and the exhausts
From this point on, your opinion is null. And void. On everything.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
its still a tdi

true but when its pulling away from porsche boxsters and subarus its pretty cool. tbh i hate my step dad but his car is really really cool and ive driven it and it has a mountain of torque!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL. They're not meant to be like the 200.

Refined, comfy, and extremely capable. They're faster than a 200, and with a remap, they're a weapon, ~300bhp.

I'd have one in a heartbeat, especially over the 200. And I've driven the 200, and like it.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
maybe i was just expecting a differnt car, it just didnt feel fast at all because it was so smooth, im sure with a rempa it is awesome but it didnt even put a smile on my face and i was really giving it some at bits

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
In your opinion.

Great cars. You thought it was going to be raw. It wasn't. The end.

Still takes nothing away from how great they are.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You were expecting a refined 200 chuckability. Wrong car mate.

Homo spec mazda
Oi hai!

I lol'd at the salesmans lack of knowledge of what the 200 was, blatantly thought it was a bodykitted clio.

Really nice car though just not very entertaining.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
im sure they are but just not at all what i was expecting or looking for, all i hear is people bark on about how awesome they are so i had my hopes set high, if i was after a day to day car that was quiet and very easy to drive then yeh i would look at one but im really not, i think the lack of noise is allmost earie! i did see 7 mpg though on the dash

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
LOL. They're not meant to be like the 200.

Refined, comfy, and extremely capable. They're faster than a 200, and with a remap, they're a weapon, ~300bhp.

I'd have one in a heartbeat, especially over the 200. And I've driven the 200, and like it.

+1 EPIC with a remap :approve:

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Oi hai!

I lol'd at the salesmans lack of knowledge of what the 200 was, blatantly thought it was a bodykitted clio.

Really nice car though just not very entertaining.

yeh when i told him it was 2.0 litre he looked shocked and when i told him it had 197 bhp he looked even more shocked lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
im sure they are but just not at all what i was expecting or looking for, all i hear is people bark on about how awesome they are so i had my hopes set high, if i was after a day to day car that was quiet and very easy to drive then yeh i would look at one but im really not, i think the lack of noise is allmost earie! i did see 7 mpg though on the dash

That's the point though. Your average MkV owner doesn't want road noise and overrun popping. If you do, a Milltek and a remap sorts that.

That's the beauty of them. Destroy a 200, in comfort.

And I'm not a big VW fanboy. I'd much rather have rawness. But I can appreciate that it's a great car.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
what i can say though is that it was very comfy and very very very well put together inside, h and the wheels are massive! they look huge in the arches

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
do me a favour please, stop wasting salesmens time!

we really hate people like you

thanks

Bit harsh. If he is interested in a car, and wants to buy one. He will go an test drive it, if he doesnt like it, he doesnt buy it.

I hate salesmen like you.

Thanks

LY R26
he has no intention of buying it tho! hes claiming in every other thread about how much he loves his 200

Twingo rs133
A bloke at work has got 1 dont think much of it ad the money he paid for it brand new on a 08 plate he could of got somethin alot better for his money

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Edition 30 is a really nice car.Its just got the edge over the standard gti,and with subttle touches like a little badge, aboost in power and cracking alloys.I think there lovely...

Nippy white cup
Tbh the exhaust note sounds great from the outside so it is probably the excellent build quality that is stopping you enjoy it tbh. My m8s has just a map on and is 300bhp with loads of torque. 1st and 2nd gear felt ok but it is the way that each gear after feels like 3rd in mine...pulls like a train and will blast past 140mph if so inclined

Chris

Nippy white cup
Not a 3 door (has a little girl but his new mk6 that is coming is a 3 door in white) but this is his....there is a matt black badge on the front but it is too dark a pic to see it

IMG_3329_1024x768.jpg

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Sir_Dave has one and he doesn't really rate it much either.
Its a very comfortable and easy car to drive but to chuck down a decent B-road its rather dull.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
A Golf Gti or Edition 30 isnt supposed to be a "raw beast", its all about refinement and comfort. My GTTDi doesnt have an exhause noise nor can i hear the turbo, its very quiet but nippy enough which is what i wanted, its pretty decent when put through its paces on the backroads too.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
A Golf Gti or Edition 30 isnt supposed to be a "raw beast", its all about refinement and comfort. My GTTDi doesnt have an exhause noise nor can i hear the turbo, its very quiet but nippy enough which is what i wanted, its pretty decent when put through its paces on the backroads too.

my step dads is a differnt beast, fill miltek massive inter cooler, bigger turbo, remap and loads of other bits! its rather epic tbh

M2 Competition
They're an odd beast to drive. Ridiculously refined and silent doing most things.

You seem a bit of a boy racer lynden, so probably not what you're after as theyre subtle, and silent until you're up to silly speeds. Quite a mature choice.

The speed at which you can take a b-road are daft, awesome fun hustled down the right road but i do agree that they take away some of the sensations of driving by being 'too good' at what they do.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
They're an odd beast to drive. Ridiculously refined and silent doing most things.

You seem a bit of a boy racer lynden, so probably not what you're after as theyre subtle, and silent until you're up to silly speeds. Quite a mature choice.

The speed at which you can take a b-road are daft, awesome fun hustled down the right road but i do agree that they take away some of the sensations of driving by being 'too good' at what they do.

i wouldnt say i was a boy racer i just like to be rewarded when i do boot it with abit of noise and rumble from the exhaust, i sued to be a boy racer until i pranged my 200 into a barrier