ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco 172 (make it mint)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Picked this up today for £400, 55k miles on the clock but it hasn’t moved in 5 years.

Started almost straight away on the key to my surprise, sounds like the water pumps knackered and the rear brakes are seized on so had to drag it back.

Plan is minimal mods but renewing everything so that it’s close to just left the factory condition.
Also found a cliosport letter in the docs dated 2004.

Will get it washed and some decent photos next weekend.
BB1E5135-D099-4AF0-918E-581EF9E25B3D.jpeg

2014 Clio 200t edc
nice find with the low miles. With a bit of work it will be lovely! At least bits aren’t really expensive for them. Look forward to the progress.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
That’s a bargain! A genuine 44k miles? You’ve robbed someone Of that!

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Nice find mate.

Be great reading your updates on saving this low mileage 172.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Gave it a quick clean yesterday to see what it's going to need bodywork wise and get some protection on the paint.
Seems to be in really good condition, going to need some paint on the rear bumper, a few rusting stone chips touch ups and the usual filler cap fix.
The spoiler also had a bad repair at somepoint in the past so will be swapping over cup spoiler on the artic "donor car".

IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0876.JPEG
IMG_0877.JPEG

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Haha all in good time, crawling underneath cars in the winter is a young mans game.
Tell me about it! Replaced my seats last weekend, I'm so stubborn (probably just stupid) couldn't be bothered to jack it up and it's on Grams springs. Quite a squeeze!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well figured I’d strip the rear beam off the 182 so I could get it powder coated then I can swap parts onto the 172 without leaving it in bits.
Naturally 3 of the 6 captive bolts decided they don’t want to come out and I can’t get at it with a grinder... thanks Renault.
Will have to go at it with a multi tool next time, also whacked myself in the nose with a wrench, so all in a bad day.
Oh if anyone wonders what happens if you fit the spacers the wrong way round.
B78CD804-6043-4377-AAB4-DE459974E986.jpeg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
This is the issue with low miles cars

Had someone paid top dollar for the car because it was low miles then they'd have been stung because quite clearly a f**king spaniel has previously worked on it [emoji23]

That’s true.

I went to see a low mile silver 182 last year it was just under £4k and had turinis and trendlines and about 40k miles.

Went to see it and didn’t even chap the guys door. Was an absolute dog with clear accident damage and bad paint repair.

Low miles is nice if it’s a proper classic and in good condition. Otherwise take condition over miles on these kind of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
That’s true.

I went to see a low mile silver 182 last year it was just under £4k and had turinis and trendlines and about 40k miles.

Went to see it and didn’t even chap the guys door. Was an absolute dog with clear accident damage and bad paint repair.

Low miles is nice if it’s a proper classic and in good condition. Otherwise take condition over miles on these kind of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly this mate. All my cars are over 100k miles

All in better condition that most other cars with half maybe even a quarter of the miles

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I sold my Monaco (50k, repaint, new belts etc etc) for £5k about 2 years ago.
A guy bought it to put in to his collection and it hasn’t moved since.
It’s lovely having these tidy low mileage cars but I just don’t understand not using them. Driving is the best bit!
Look forward to your updates.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Started stripping the artic and having more “fun” with captive bolts.
Going to be refurbing most of the suspension & subframes and fitting it to the Monaco.
BD2C689A-F945-4E61-BEA0-4ADF61B65BBB.jpeg

7DD97A54-7DAC-401B-8C09-F60ECA69B2D5.jpeg

Lot of concerned old people staring at my house now. :ROFLMAO:
No doubt I will be getting a letter from the parish council when it is village of the year voting time.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
When someone mentions that bits of Clio are missing just ignore them. I did it when I stripped a Seat Leon on the drive, everyone kept looking up the driveway past the gate. So I rolled it out onto the front and stood on the roof with a Stihl saw chopping it up

Should have seen how many people started curtain-twitching 😂

Then they did it when I started lifting a Clio into the air...

1577637453576.png

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Small bit of progress, stripped the subframe and rear beam down ready for blasting & powder coating once the restrictions are lifted.
If anyones got tips on removing the abs sensors without wrecking them would be appreciated. :LOL:
71795E62-E087-4C12-926E-0F26AE4D62D6.jpeg
5CE82A26-6448-4EC8-BCD2-6671CA3938B3.jpeg
0DCEB589-0E1E-4090-A004-2632256A5C74.jpeg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Starting to make some slow progress on this.

Bent one of the sills back into a usable form for now.
25FDB52B-4E6F-4003-B80B-3970513AD918.jpeg

Then got the car up on some breezeblocks/timber so I can start stripping out the engine and various bits
14F6EAA8-6FD4-4FEA-9389-F1BEBC8BCD3D.jpeg

Cut the good stuff off so the pikeys don’t rock up and cut it off.
B06551C4-576F-47E9-88B2-748202AA79EA.jpeg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Plan going forward is once all the heavy stuffs out is to stick it on a jig so I can tackle the rusty bits underneath.
For the sake of a few £100s it seems worth it not to have to crawl around under there with a flap wheel.
Engine runs but somethings knackered probably the water pump so I’m in two minds about just doing that and the belts or rebuilding the engine.
I’m leaning towards the latter as it’s going to piss me off if I put it back in and it drops a valve.

Attachments

• IMG_1632.MOV
    26.4 MB

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Lucky there!

Also, has that been at the bottom of the sea or a f**king canal!!! 😂

I’ve got no idea why the struts are so bad, the wishbones and the rear beam are the same.
Thankfully the shell seems to be ok so far.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Rear stripped.
6FEAA48D-70BE-4DCD-A9BB-B1410C131F23.jpeg

Spots of rust just starting behind both door cards and along the rear arches.
Going to tackle the hidden stuff myself and leave the rest of the arch primed for the body shop.
39221496-5986-4577-97FC-2076D2F20C08.jpeg

74F03ADE-0854-4D1E-B630-29BC512908DA.jpeg

No idea what the previous owner used to clean the rear light and the rear window it’s like a cats gone mental at it.
01DD489D-6D74-40BB-9A33-2DB9F3E112C8.jpeg