ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More Powerful Alternator?

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Guys,

What is a sensible alternator to upgrade to that will have more power than the standard one fitted to the Dynamique range?

Does fitting a more powerful one have any sideaffects?
Does it use more fuel and drain battery power for fun etc?

I wanna tackle the issue of my Xenon's + interior lighting dimming whenever the electrics are used, if it's realistically possible? :) Hope so!

Thanks,

Pete.

ValverInBits
Now i may have the wrong idea, but could you not fit a power cap?

I was under the impression they were fitted to smooth the power consumption of amps. As amps drain power on the bass beat. Something like extra power consumed by xenons is just constant drain, so a cap isnt right.

Not convinced that xenons do drain more power.
How old is your battery? Topped up with water?

LY 182
power caps do sod all.

thats basically all a battery is -

think of it this way.. the main source of power when the cars running is the alternator.. all the battery does is store some of this power produced by the alternator and stores it for when it needs it ie to iron out voltage spikes or start the car.
thats all power caps claim to do - so basically all you are doing is fitting a very small useless battery to a system that already has a superior battery.

yes you can get higher ampage alternators but it may be hard to source one

LY 182
and no xenons dont take more current.
renault would have fitted heavier cabling to the headlights if they did.
they actually use less current.

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Tbh it's only cause i've got an aftermarket audio system.
When demanding the volume's cranked up, it does the above ;) That's the sole reason really.

From reading other threads, a power cap isn't the answer as i understand it?

What other alternators can I go for that can cope with a powerful headunit + amp etc?

PH1 172 Sport
I would go for a new battery first. Most people on here have uprated stereos without see the fault your describing.

I have standard alternator. But upgraded battery. Runs everything fine.

You will never need a power cap, they are advertised as the answer. But they can also cause more problems!

If you still get drops in your headlights with an upgraded battery, get a new alternator.