ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More SMT6...

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well after spending the afternoon at PerfectPower, it was determined that the 172s ECU really didnt like the SMT6 controlling the coilpack so after about 20 seconds it would promtly shut off the injectors....so inteligent is it that if the SMT6 was only connected to one set of injectors and the others were bridged off the ECU would only shut off the injectors connected to the SMT6 leaving the car running on only 2 cylinders.

Now both Perfect Power and my tuner are a little stumped as to how Andy from GDI managed to get round that little problem because according to PP he came back to them and said the map they provided wasnt right or wasnt working, but last month there was an article in the PP club newsletter by Andy saying how successful his 172/SMT6 install was...

So Andy...How did you get around the problem of the injectors being shut-off, or didnt you do any injector tuning but only fueling, because weve got the car running now without the injectors being wired in and the car is running smoothly on a fueling map only (which will be put on the rollers on monday).

Just as a side note however, the SMT7 will be released in about 2-3 weeks which is able to handle this problem Im having...just hope the pricing is competative...so I can upgrade, but to save myself a load of cash, Id still really love to know how Andy got around the problem were facing...so we can setup the SMT6 on my car

Also...what management are the Mk1 172s running in the UK...Mine is running Siemens Sirius 32N

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Viceroy

Glad to see you have done so much development work... its good fun working round these little problems.... its what makes the tuning game interesting...

Your lucky that you can pop down to PP for help, we have to make £100s worth of calls to get the same....

We did indeed have some good results with an SMT on a clio... is anyone disputing that.... if you want to talk to the customer please do....

We did not use injector modding for the clio as PP did not feel it was needed for that install..... (I have also never said that I did use injector modding - to you, anyone hear or infact PP)

The fueling was were the gains were made... AFR readings were all within 13-14.x and the amount of fuel in the mid range that was increased was quite a lot... hense a much smoother drive mid range.... it was very noticable.....

PP also never gave me a MAP!!!!! the map is created on the rollers... we start with a flat fuel map and then set each of the 120 or so fuel point to the correct AFR to get the correct fueling....

We have had lots of discussions with PP about different ways of controlling the fuel etc etc etc etc etc etc etc... there is not only one way to do it.... so it would seem...

I dont really understand why you feel the need to attack me, or question me... there have been several occasions where you have felt the need to try and discredit me on the boards wheather it be by price or otherwise... I am simply trying to give my customers a good service and those that have had work have been happy... I do not claim things that we have not done.... I also spend a great deal of time looking after my customers to make sure they are happy and that they get what they want....

I dont always have the answers to all the questions but then who does... not even PP know all the answers.. they had never seen or done an install on a 172 before, so they told me anyhow...

I wish you luck with the install, and hope this can be the end of this discussion... I do not do arguing on cliosport... I dont go on some other forums now due to people arguing.... its a well mannered forum here and everyone helps everyone else.... thats the way it should be.

Andy

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Viceroy

Glad to see you have done so much development work... its good fun working round these little problems.... its what makes the tuning game interesting... And also a little frustrating at times:cry:

Your lucky that you can pop down to PP for help, we have to make £100s worth of calls to get the same....

We did indeed have some good results with an SMT on a clio... is anyone disputing that.... if you want to talk to the customer please do....I have never disputed the fact that you have gotten good results, in fact it was because of your success that I eventually got my arse in gear and got down to the tuners to get the SMT6 installed

We did not use injector modding for the clio as PP did not feel it was needed for that install..... (I have also never said that I did use injector modding - to you, anyone hear or infact PP) Makes sense now...in every communication we had you mentioned that you did fueling, but you also mentioned that you needed the ignition amplifier, so I guess I assumed that you had also connected into the ignition system...my mistake and again I apologise

The fueling was were the gains were made... AFR readings were all within 13-14.x and the amount of fuel in the mid range that was increased was quite a lot... hense a much smoother drive mid range.... it was very noticable.....

PP also never gave me a MAP!!!!! the map is created on the rollers... we start with a flat fuel map and then set each of the 120 or so fuel point to the correct AFR to get the correct fueling....sorry, this was my mistake, by map I mean wiring map (pinouts). I am going on what info I recieved from PP with regard to their communications with you, and also got confused when they told us that you had told them the pinouts were not right, yet they had also published an article where you stated the success you had with your customers 172...

We have had lots of discussions with PP about different ways of controlling the fuel etc etc etc etc etc etc etc... there is not only one way to do it.... so it would seem...

I dont really understand why you feel the need to attack me, or question me... there have been several occasions where you have felt the need to try and discredit me on the boards wheather it be by price or otherwise... I am simply trying to give my customers a good service and those that have had work have been happy... I do not claim things that we have not done.... I also spend a great deal of time looking after my customers to make sure they are happy and that they get what they want.... Attack you? I have never felt that I have attacked you, I have simply been trying to get as much info from you with regard to your install, because as far as Im aware yours is the only successful SMT6/172 install in the UK, possibly the world. I know of one other attempt in Greenland where they gave up because of similar problems to me because of trying to wire into the ignition system. With regard to the pricing of chips, I figured I could maybe get the chips here cheaper as they are made here...not to attack you in anyway, but simply to give the Cliosport guys a chance of maybe getting the chips cheaper, and yet still going to you for the tuning (which you stated yourself was the long and tedious...as well as pricy portion)

I dont always have the answers to all the questions but then who does... not even PP know all the answers.. they had never seen or done an install on a 172 before, so they told me anyhow...It was because of your success with the 172 install, that I have been bugging you so much for any piece of info I could get...I really never meant to come across as if I was attacking you...In fact I would say that I am a huge supporter of you for your forwarding the development of 172 tuning (which is in serious short demand around the world)

I wish you luck with the install, and hope this can be the end of this discussion... I do not do arguing on cliosport... I dont go on some other forums now due to people arguing.... its a well mannered forum here and everyone helps everyone else.... thats the way it should be.

Thanks very much...Again I must say that I never meant to attack you, I was simply overanxious in getting as much information from you with regards to the install you did. I actually feel rather bad now because of this all, but also relieved that we have finally gotten some clarity about exactly what you did in your install.

Im taking the car in on monday to get the final fuel tuning done, as at the moment Im running with a blank MAP (got the terminology right now;)...I hope)

Andy

[Edited by viceroy on 08 May 2004 at 12:01pm]

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Vicroy

Thanks for coming back, I appreciate greatly your kind response.... THANK YOU.

In the mean time have a play with the base fuel amount in the general settings.. knock it up a few points and see if you can see a difference.

Andy

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Unfortunately didnt get a chance to play with fueling over the weekend, but the car is in today for a session on the RR...Should be ready by 4pm...cant wait:)

172 Cup

no mate its a piggy back ecu that can control everything in the way your engine runs! its a good bit of kit. me and a few of the other boys are also having it done.

Paul

BNR33 GTR

Cheers mate. Hmm so its worth it? i have a ID and A cat back Exhaust? Is it worth doing or shall i wait till i get some more mods done?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Mr G on 10 May 2004

Cheers mate. Hmm so its worth it? i have a ID and A cat back Exhaust? Is it worth doing or shall i wait till i get some more mods done?
Can do it anytime you want, as when you get a new mod, you just head down to the rollers and retune.

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 10 May 2004

Yeah, Andy from Grey Devil Industries got some great results with it.

http://www.perfectpower.com/article/PP_Newsletter_April_2004.pdfhttp://www.perfectpower.com/article/PP_Newsletter_April_2004.pdf

Im also going to consider an upgrade to the SMT7 once its released as that can apparently allow tuners to alter the ignition timing on the 172 (which as Ive found out is not possible with the SMT6 and 172)

You just have to modify the system to work with the coilpacks.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Any ideas how to get around that...ie...how to modify the system...The guys on this end are completely stumped

Why, what have they been trying?

Have they been connecting it to the coilpack direct, since its a 2 stage operating system.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

They tried putting in a resister (I think) but didnt want to put too big a one in for fear of blowing the management.

Can you explain this 2 stage operating system stuff to me...but I think they did try connecting it straight

The coil has 2inputs and outputs for pairing of cylinders on a wasted spark basis.

They put a resistor on where and why!?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I can only guess between the input and the outputs...but I know nothing.

He did tell me it was wasted spark and the reason the injectors were being cut was because the management wasnt recieving the correct signal back from the coil...