ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 4

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah they're built for boost aren't they really. Low compression ratios make them useless at NA stuff, but I'm reluctant to throw a turbo on as NA engines are a dying breed. Had a look at higher compression pistons and stuff but it just becomes silly money!

You've changed maaaaaaaaaan ;)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Change my mind more than... Well more than I change engines I guess [emoji16]
My friend made a 1.8 into a high comp 2.0 with bodies and cams with solid lifters. 246bhp at 8700rpm. It cost £2k all in. Lovely motor.

Listerine & Poledo
F**k me, if I knew I could spend 2 grand and have those results id do it this afternoon! Is it not just an S2000 engine with trumpets glued on?
TO do all that for 2k would take a lot of begging/stealing/borrowing/insiders

Not sure about on the old 1.8s, but an SVT set of cams is $600 on their own. A set of bored-spec pistols on stroker rods would be insane

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
F**k me, if I knew I could spend 2 grand and have those results id do it this afternoon! Is it not just an S2000 engine with trumpets glued on?
Bodies are bike ones -£300
Bottom end is a rebored 1.8 with cheap Pistons - £900
Head is mk2 1.8 with solid lifter conversion - £600
Cams are cat cam copies of Mazda speed race ones - £300

He slung it together. Not a bad return really. Sounds mental and doesn't really idle lol

Fair! I don't think I'd feel too good about taking it past 8k, mine doesn't feel too happy above 7. Although that might be down to the fact that it's fubar.. And idling is overrated IMO

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Fair! I don't think I'd feel too good about taking it past 8k, mine doesn't feel too happy above 7. Although that might be down to the fact that it's fubar.. And idling is overrated IMO
My turbo would Rev to 7600 on the dyno with no head work. It never sounded pretty but it pulled!

23500286615_dddcd661e5_c.jpg

23205510700_16ce09bdcd_c.jpg

23501274165_188848d12f_c.jpg

22874118883_afe8762dff_c.jpg

22873763503_c8cc3d072a_c.jpg

23392403382_795a590124_c.jpg

23205520550_421c46d74d_c.jpg

Well, the MX5 has been getting more unhappy by the day. Engine sounds like a sack of s**t and it's drinking oil like it's going out of fashion.
I've toyed with breaking it, but I just can't do it! Too much time, effort and money has been put in to give up now. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to fix it at the moment and I really cba with the winter weather. So it's getting parked on the drive and I'm going to forget about it for a few months, hopefully I'll miss it and will have some proper enthusiasm to do something cool with it.

In the mean time, I've bought this to play around with:

24230260236_67d61d9fbf_z.jpg

24230261476_bfe6cf73a8_z.jpg

It's big, comfy and sounds awesome. Not really what you'd call fast, but now I kind of understand what people mean by 'hauling ass' lol!
I'd like to say it's thirsty, but in reality it's not a whole lot worse than the MX5 on a run...

And who knows, maybe the engine will find its way into my mx5 one day
whistle.gif

(I realise I probably look like a massive bell-end in it, but f**k it tbh!)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Do I remember you went to see a v8 mx5? I can only imagine how hilarious that engine swap would be.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I hope you've got some string back driving gloves

I'll await the engine swap posts

Listerine & Poledo
The Toyota V8 goes in fine, I think V8 Roadsters have the cradle and bell-housing adaptors (for using stock MX5 box, but with a 3-inch wide clutch plate).

The Accord V6 also does good things and isn't many pennies away from 300hp.

This is, of course, if you can't find any LS3's kicking about? (Breakers yard Monaro)