ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Black Gold (no)mod thread

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Time for an update.
IMG-20210622-WA0002.jpeg

It's getting worse😂. I got fed up being stabbed by bits of wire brush so any parts that would fit went in a bucket of deox-c for rust removal. F me that's impressive stuff! The hubs came out 99% rust free which I really didn't expect.
IMG_20210523_142827.jpg

I've since blathered them in hammerite and taken them to the garage for new bearings fitting. One of the bearings was rough as fook so they wanted doing anyway. Thanks to @Romanian Tyre Fitter for tagging them onto his autodoc order👍. While that was ongoing Kyle collected my gearbox and dropped it off with his mate who works at a box refurb place. Yeah it was fucked! The planet gears had no teeth and every serviceable part was fucked by the lumpy soup. So I needed a new box and luckily @Louis had his old one still and sold me it for a very fair price. Off that went to Kyle's mate and eventually I've got a refurbished box that should work😁. It's now sat in the house while I await a new clutch.
But there's still other jobs to be done. All that rust needs sorting while I can get at it. That meant removing the carbon canister.
IMG_20210607_142021.jpg

And it's not going back on again😆. Considering that's the only bolt that's snapped on me I'll take it! Rust brushed down and treated with hydrate 80, electric and some black paint. I need to remove the front wing to do the top of the bumper bracket but can't because the battery isn't fitted. But I could take off the passenger side. If you've ever taken a wing off you'll know what a piss about it is to get to all the nuts. One which ultimately led to this 😭.
IMG_20210622_154200.jpg

Not exactly sure how that happened while fighting the wiper arm but the windscreen was pitted to fook anyway so a new one will be welcome. While the wings off I can try to tackle the flat jacking points. How any mechanic can do this to someone's car I don't know. They were bent over when I got the car so I should have seen to them earlier to be fair but never had the time to strip the car down to get at them properly.
IMG_20210622_140710.jpg
IMG_20210622_140615.jpg

Still a work in progress so I'll update when they are finished. Hopefully the skirts will sit better too after.
More to come as I try to remember what goes where over the next 3 months reassembly😂.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
New arb bushes and clutch have arrived and the hubs are back together with new bearings being fitted at the garage. Paid for the hubs with beer and the clutch was a on amazon at £25. Ever the sceptic I ordered 2. It didn't take long before the seller emailed me but to my surprise they said only one was available at that price and they would refund me for the other. Today I got a refund for £30 and the price on amazon is now £125. Someone definitely fucked up there but I'll not complain😂.
I now have all the parts to put the car back together, it's just the know how that's missing🤔😂. I'll do it next week. Maybe.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Clutch and gearbox back in and the engine is no longer supported by a piece of angle iron. Taking lots of pics as I removed parts and bagging and labelling all the bolts was the best thing I could have done all those weeks ago. I'm not looking forward to wrestling the subframe and the bloody steering rack back in.
IMG_20210629_112010.jpg
IMG_20210629_130858.jpg
IMG_20210629_203457.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to get some more parts put back on today. And took some off. The subframe was filthy and had some small patches of surface rust on so while the wishbones were soaking in deox I scrubbed the frame and treated the rust spots before coating in zinc primer and a coat of hammerite. I also replaced a couple of Riv-nuts that had given up. Refitted the wishbones and arb including new powerflex arb outer bushes as I had to cut the old ones off.
Before:
IMG_20210506_120642.jpg

After:
IMG_20210706_142105.jpg

Had to wait until the afternoon to fit it with the help of my teenage son. I actually got him up early and told him I needed his help and the bugger pissed off to the gym for 2 hours. Manning a jack each we managed to eventually get it back in place, squeezing it past the steeing rack on the passenger side being the most tricky part but once it was up against the chassis it all lined up nicely. Bagging and tagging all the bolts when removing them again saved lots of time and I've not got any left I don't know where they should go. It always seems that I took off more parts than I've put back but I can't see any brackets or wires that are loose so hopefully it's all good. Attaching the heat shield to the subframe is a job that belongs firmly on the never to do again list! Hubs and drive shafts to fit next and the ecu needs to go back on when I've fixed the broken bracket.
IMG_20210708_163056.jpg

While I've plenty of space I removed the acoustic valve as it's been redundant since I fitted a fatty induction kit 6 years ago. Arch to have another scrub and a coat of dynax before the wing goes back on and the liner refitted.
Still need to buy gearbox oil, brake discs and pads and abs sensors. Oh yeah, and a timing belt kit😭.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Little update, no its not fixed. After finding one of the cv boots wasn't clipped on properly I bought some grease and cleaned it out re greased it and fitted new clips. Drive shafts were then refitted along with the hubs. Gearbox topped with oil and shifter rod fitted I decided to try starting it before putting anything else back on.
It doesn't work.

I've read all the "clio won't start" threads on here and it still doesn't work. Starter fucked? I really can't be arsed to change that over, undoing it to get the box out was a big enough ball ache, sod having to wiggle the starter out of a gap that's not big enough. There's still half a tank of petrol in that could be used somehow 🤔.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've checked the earth's 3 times and they are in good condition. Unless I've missed one🤔. Also tried it with the battery off the 1.2 and it's the same. When I can be bothered I'll rig up an earth lead and see if it helps.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I forget, does the starter on these earth through the block so no earth connection from starter just 12V and enable wire? You haven't painted something you shouldn't have you?

Only earth that would matter would be the strap between end of chassis leg and box on the passenger side.

Do dash light go out when your cranking?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Starter motor pos goes right to the batter (the fused connector), neg is earth through block.

If you hook a jump cable to the starter cable, and the other to the engine block and try to crank it.

If it doesn't work its either poor earth connection between starter and engine block, the starter its self or a fault on the enable line (which could of course include some mystery immobiliser thing, although odd that it turns engine briefly...), could also be that the pos cable to the starter is naff - nut tight on starter?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's not the most accessible thing to be pissing about with. I've not touched the wires on the starter while stripping the car but I'll recheck tomorrow. I'm not a fan of playing with wiring though.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just make sure to disconnect the battery or you'll have some welding fun🤣🤣

Ignore what this pleb has just said - fuckin electron Kyle. 😘

You can do this with just one jumper cable between battery neg (the battery already in the car) and engine block.

At this point you are just testing the ground to the engine block/starter. Next step tests the positive to the starter but baby steps x

EDIT - added kisses for Kyle.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ignore what this pleb has just said - fuckin electron Kyle. 😘

You can do this with just one jumper cable between battery neg (the battery already in the car) and engine block.

At this point you are just testing the ground to the engine block/starter. Next step tests the positive to the starter but baby steps x

EDIT - added kisses for Kyle.
I still have a ratchet that has scorch marks on it, a stark remind to take the battery off before swapping a starter. Especially on a Transit because the battery was f**king honking and I shat myself when I smacked the ratchet into the block and it nearly stuck🤣🤣

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I still have a ratchet that has scorch marks on it, a stark remind to take the battery off before swapping a starter. Especially on a Transit because the battery was f**king honking and I shat myself when I smacked the ratchet into the block and it nearly stuck🤣🤣

Ohh yea. f**k. Defo take the battery lead off for that 🤣🤣🤣

I was going on about adding jump cables to test earth to block, which wouldn't work without battery in.... Obviously.

Apologies, perhaps your not as daft as I though. But it did take you shorting out a transit battery to find that out..... Now I'm not sure.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Earthed form block to battery with no change. Can't be arsed rolling about under the car today so it can stay broke.
Dash lights. Should the stop and serv lights be on before cranking? It's been that long I can't remember!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
After testing power and earth's to the starter and running a wire from the solenoid to the battery all I got was a lazy few truns form the starter. Tried it with the battery from the 1.2 and still dead. So I ordered a new starter. After reading every post on the forum about replacing the starter I've come to the conclusion that it's all bolloks. That f**king thing won't come out. f**k me there isn't even room to get the heat shield off it. So after 3 hours or so pissing about I've got a disconnected starter, 9 out of 10 bloody fingers, and a full swear jar.
That's it, I'm done with it now. I've reached my limit. I'll either break the car as it's already partly dismantled or I'll just scrap the c**t. I'm off to live in a cave and be a hermit.