ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My budget track car!

ill give you a bit of spec first

Engine- Stanard airbox with k&n filter
cold air feed
ported & polished lower inlet
ported & polished throttle body
k-tec decat
stainless steel cat back powerflow exhaust with slash cut tip.

Interior- Stripped interior
fk bucket seats
omp seat subframes
TRS harnesses
cargo net
carbon fibre thumb grips
carbon wrapped dash strips
flocked dash waiting to go in.

Suspension- Pure motorsport solid top mounts
AP coilovers
Rear upper Strut brace

Brakes- Brembo carbon front disks
greenstuff pads
goodrich braided brake lines

Exterior- Carbon fibre Bonnet
Aero Catches
Carbon washer blanks
Carbon foglight surrounds
Drilled front bumper with carbon wrap
Moved and sticker numberplate
TRS tow strap
Tinted windows
Pressed rear plate
Carbon wrapped side strips
Clio 182 alloys
De rear wiperd
Carbon wrapped front and rear renault badge

im sure theres more but i cant remember anything else.............

DSCF4519.jpg

DSCF4522.jpg

DSCF4523.jpg

DSCF4524.jpg

DSCF4526.jpg

DSCF4527.jpg

DSCF4529.jpg

DSCF4530.jpg

DSCF4531.jpg

408152_10151111623050361_617265360_22059396_1274656872_n.jpg

So far i have only been around rockingham but soon as the weather warms up again hopefully get on a few more tracks but being in the raf its hard to get time off so i mainly use lincolnshire roads as my track ;)

Comments welcome :) (nice ones...)

Z4 Coupe
Looks good, just get a sabelt wheel in there and your winning..

EDIT: wtf, your seat belts are attached to your strut brace :0

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Looks great, although don't fancy being in an accident in your car with the belts mounted to the rear strut brace.

Looks great, although don't fancy being in an accident in your car with the belts mounted to the rear strut brace.

wouldnt anyone advise that then? i can bolt them to the floor aswell but thought that looked better....................

not just looks.. to b honest thought it was pretty safe................. the strut brace isnt hollow its solid.

182 Cup
not just looks.. to b honest thought it was pretty safe................. the strut brace isnt hollow its solid.

Neither the bar nor the mounting points for the bar are strong enough. Do it properly and get a rear cage with harness bar or go back to the original belts.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

What holds the strut brace to the struts? 2 ten mm nuts! Thats all thats stopping you and a mate (20 stone if you're both skinny!) going through the window!

Apart from that, looks really good with a good spec!

Ye i will get them bolted to floor in the rear were original belts are secured.. Thanks again for the advice anyway. u could of just saved my life :)

WRX
Just so you know, attatched to the floor isn't ideal either. Potentially brakes your back in a crash. As said above harness bar to your cage or seat belts until you do. If you're going to do it, do it properly. Otherwise you'll look great in your harness.....until you crash.
Not worth the risk bud.

Last edited:
Errm most expensive thing was coilovers they were 500. erm seats n subframes were 250 bonnet was 230. other parts have been found on ebay or done myself..

1.2 clio/clio sport
Looking good mate loving the black bonnet think it looks good on that car and the seats as well they look good.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
seems like its got a bit of an identity crisis,

track car with lots of rear speakers??

looks good from the outside though!!

and change your harness mounts!! :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What would people say is the next step with the car?

First of all, remove all those daft rear speakers. Again, if the worst happens they are fcuking heavy lumps that will smash you in the head and probably kill you. We don't want that.

Then decide if its a proper track car, sort the cage/harness situation out.

Also, if you're planning on keeping the carpet in it, remove the sound deadening from underneath. The carpet weighs fcuk all but the foam stuff underneath weighs a ton!

WRX
Errm most expensive thing was coilovers they were 500. erm seats n subframes were 250 bonnet was 230. other parts have been found on ebay or done myself..

When did you win the lottery exactly pmsl. Budget!!!! Wish I had that for a budget. Fair play though.

Looks good. Looks confused (PH1 172 coloured bump strips, PH2 172 car, 182 wheels, gangster/pikey/chav/rude-boi stickers/tints yet trackday spec) but alright. Think you can throw the "budget" title out of the window though as you've gone beyond the basic striped/pads/discs & done extras like CFRP bonnet.

Purists will say the next step is to ditch the 182 wheels for some lighter ones. Unsprung mass 'n' all. Many arguments will be had on whether or not it's noticable. In terms of laptime and enjoyment, money is far better spent on tuition.

When re-mounting the harnesses, try to use "stress plates" and the inappropriately named "high tensile" bolts where possible if you can't stretch to a weld-in cage. E.g. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/harness-eye-bolts-plates

silver clio 182
Nice car take no notice of the negative comments its your car and if it puts a smile on your face well thats good enough definately change the harnesses though .

As for where to go now i would look to change the wheels for turinis or 2118s always in the for sale section in here . Power wise wait till the belts need done and get cams while your at it . Depending on your budget a limited slip diff

First of all, remove all those daft rear speakers. Again, if the worst happens they are fcuking heavy lumps that will smash you in the head and probably kill you. We don't want that.

I know you were being serious but the way your structured those sentences is comical! "smash you in the head and probably kill you. We don't want that."

E36 M3. 182
Apparently the 182 wheels aren't great for brake cooling, id get some cheap-ish multi spokes and ducting to them if you've not already. As well as sorting the harness issue. Death is bad, mmkaay...

Then decide if its a proper track car, sort the cage/harness situation out.

Also, if you're planning on keeping the carpet in it, remove the sound deadening from underneath. The carpet weighs fcuk all but the foam stuff underneath weighs a ton!

ye speakers are just cuz i drive 300miles a week so like sumot decent to listen to music on cuz its my everyday car..
but ye im going to sort harnesses out and i didnt realise foam weighs so much lol

cheers

Looks good mate, very clean and tidy on the outside! (bar rear window of course). If I were you, after the safety improvements, I'd put a new steering wheel near the top of the list!

Nice car take no notice of the negative comments its your car and if it puts a smile on your face well thats good enough definately change the harnesses though .

As for where to go now i would look to change the wheels for turinis or 2118s always in the for sale section in here . Power wise wait till the belts need done and get cams while your at it . Depending on your budget a limited slip diff

ye iv been looking out for some lighter wheels cuz 182 wheel do weigh ALOT! and ye it puts a smile on my face all the time :) cam belts have only just been done so ill have to wait for cams.. but a remap may be in the line next as well as the harness situation.

cheers for everyones opinions,wetha they were good or negative :)

130i Road, 172 Track
What would people say is the next step with the car?

Drive it on the track.

I dislike when people build a "track car" but only drive it on the road. It's like having Katy Perry for a missus and only holding hands with her.

E36 M3. 182
Drive it on the track.

I dislike when people build a "track car" but only drive it on the road. It's like having Katy Perry for a missus and only holding hands with her.

EFA!! by the way, where you working down at conings-hole??

Lotus Elise
as in brake pads? green stuff on front ,stanard rears..

If you are going on track seriously, Id upgrade green stuff = pap.

Lasted all of 1 session at Donington, if you want inspiration read some of the build threads on here, there are some proper track cars on this forum that get used on track. Remove those speakers ASAP or secure them properly same with those harnesses.