ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MY EP3

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
It calms down, when I first got them fitted a girl I was seeing at the time asked if something was broken when we stopped at some traffic lights, but that was a few hours after fitting them lol

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Saturday, having a mare with gaskets at the moment, IVe got brand original Honda ones, and a generic 2.5" triangular metal one. Neither fit, so I need to sort it out tomorrow, but Im off to look at an ST in the morning with my mate, so not sure what Im gonna do yet!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I always held TDI in high regard, but the way they post has really put me off them TBH, they just seem a bit pushy and "we're the best", CPL were quite the opposite, guided me through both options and explained them. I can only base my opinion on services Ive personally received , I've received great service and advice IMO, and I am very happy with everything, and will continue to use CPL. Ive not dealt with TDI so cannot comment.
Exactly, mate. No point in changing when you're happy with the service and advice you've received. Despite knowing Paul I wouldn't push folks into going to TDi. I would rather folks made their own informed decisions (hopefully by doing a bit of research and not just reading the cr4p that gets spouted on many forums). But as you say, enough of this and back on topic. Enjoy the car and the mod's you have now (and will make later). That's what it's all about ultimately. :D

LY182/NHB CTR
I also know the owner of TDi North well as Paul has also been a friend of mine for many years. He's a good mapper if I'm being honest and knows his stuff. I do think that his rollers are quite favourable in terms of results but he does know how to get the most out of the V-TEC units.

How quickly people forget! as you very well know Andy he didn't know his stuff when doing my suspension so much so it failed its MOT a standard requirement! you was there as the time when your so called mate didn't do anything about it not even refunded me for his mistake!

As for TRO I'm not even going to go there!

Despite the hype about TDI North its lost a lot of respect over the years.

Despite CPL having some bad press many years back before my time and I've only heard it on TRO so makes me wonder now! I know a few guys who have work done there and no problems service and after care has been brilliant and I'd choose them over TDI north

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
How quickly people forget! as you very well know Andy he didn't know his stuff when doing my suspension so much so it failed its MOT a standard requirement! you was there as the time when your so called mate didn't do anything about it not even refunded me for his mistake!

As for TRO I'm not even going to go there!

Despite the hype about TDI North its lost a lot of respect over the years.

Despite CPL having some bad press many years back before my time and I've only heard it on TRO so makes me wonder now! I know a few guys who have work done there and no problems service and after care has been brilliant and I'd choose them over TDI north
Yeah, true - he cocked that up and I've heard of a few other mistakes over the past 18 months or so. I wouldn't say he's immune to 'disputes' as have many tuners at some point or other. But I still stand by the fact he's a good mapper and he didn't do such a bad job of mapping yours; it drove beautifully from what I recall. TRO... well yes, I can't argue with you on that point. Still got a couple of good friends on there but you know what I think about some of the others.

kpowell911 - apologies for messing up your thread mate. You've got a tidy car and I'll be following it with interest. :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Right, had a bit of a mare. Couldnt seem to get the correct sized gasket to join the cat/b pipe. A phone call to Cobra secured one, but I told them it was needed within 24 hours as it was booked in today for the fitting. Fair play to them, 20 hours later it came free of charge, so hats off to Cobra.

Didnt take long to fit, the fitter did say It was a bit of a poor fit, he had to dremel the holes a touch bigger. It also sits quite low but then its a larger diameter B Pipe, and it dont sit lower than my rear lower toe bar. Its also right up against the rear bumper, but it does sit quite nicely. There's no knocks or bangs, so its fine. Id prefer it to have been a slash cut, and Its not as attractive as the stock twin pipes IMO, but thats personal choice, anyway, the important part..

My Type R has a Tegiwa M Filter and a Reflash CPL K100. The car feels alot free-er in the midrange, and it genuinely feels like its added performance, wether thats placebo I dont know, I do not have a rolling road readout to back it up, but IMO it has freed the mid range up.

Now Im 25, im getting old, I didnt want it too loud, and Im happy to report, on idle, and for "normal" driving its not much louder than standard, I cant really hear it over my music with the windows up, I can "feel" it though :)

However, on VTec, it sounds unreal! i did a quick drive by at highish revs, came back into the garage and a fair few complimented the sound, saying it sounded purposeful and powerful as opposed to chavvy, which was the noise and comments I was after :) I let my pal take it out and I had a listen, well impressed, sounds like a touring car, might change my name to Matt Neal.....

He had driven it pre remap, his daily is a Mk 2 430bhp RS, And he said he ws genuinely impressed with the effects of the K100 and the Exhust, said it was "noticebly lots faster". He then proceeded to diss my brakes, which I agree with, so 5.1 Fluid and Braided lines are going in tomorrow! Saying that he is used to his 360mm Alcon 6 pots...

Well happy, as I say the fit isnt perfect (my fitter commented that Milteks he normally fits fit alot better. But its on, it sounds unreal IMO, and theres no knocks/bangs. Only tests left to do are the speed bump test and the long term test.

On the whole, id recomend it, ill get some pics and videos asap!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
So a bit of an update. Not really much to post, I've just been getting it dirty :p

First things first, business end. MOT and Tax. 6 Months tax for £141.50 and then booked it in for the MOT.......

Thankfully:

311f3408962611e299e522000a9e28c4_7.jpg

Not even an advisory :) I motted it well early, so technically its got nearly 13 months MOT on it now.

I just gave it a quick clean today:

fc7fe4e49ea511e2bdc622000a1fb844_7.jpg

44e1bcc69ea611e2a2ab22000a1fb84b_7.jpg

Freshened up the bay with a Mugen Oil cap (which I cant lime up :() and a Hondata sticker :)

94cc18809ea611e2808622000a1f9aaf_7.jpg

bf5011749ea611e2908222000a9f146a_7.jpg

End of May, its going in for a full front end respray, so there wont be a single stone chip, and Im also having the front wheel refurbished as its not as bright as the back. I honestly think then I couldnt be happier with it.....But Im still looking at moving on before I sink more cash into it :( Looking at late 300bhp+ Focus ST's or BMW 335i Saloons?

Failing that, I may add 1 or 2 more things:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330810653389?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAPSPEED-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25718e194a

And then get my K100 Mapped accordingly for the De Cat. Would hope to see 230-40bhp then, Possibly even add a RBC Inlet and adapter?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
good work :)

FYI i wouldnt bother with the 4pots, they are a total waste of money IMO. Cant be arsed writing this on the ctro forum as they will b**ch like f**k :)

Are braided lines and 5.1 fluid REALLY that good? I still havent fitted mine lol. Honestly, the stock set up is scaring me, I asked the MOT tester what he thought and he said they were fine on the test, but I have no confidence in them? The Brakes in my Golf Diesel are far Superior?

RE: The exhaust, it sounds amazing at 8k+, touirng car style, but I wouldnt want it any louder. I Genuinely noticed a performance increase with it fitted, If I could have the performance without the noise I probably would TBH, on the motor way cruising at 70/80 its a bit annoying now Im not 17. When you're in the mood it sounds unreal, but unfortuantely, Im not "in the mood" that much lol.

brakes on both my ep3's were awesome around the ring. That was standard discs, ds2500 and braided lines with 4.1.

Honestly, i wouldnt have gone any quicker with £1500 brakes! On the other hand, i would have looked like a boss!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
brakes on both my ep3's were awesome around the ring. That was standard discs, ds2500 and braided lines with 4.1.

Honestly, i wouldnt have gone any quicker with £1500 brakes! On the other hand, i would have looked like a boss!

Im hoping the braided lines and fluid improve it :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Finally got round to sorting the upgraded Braided Brake Lines. I've had these sat in my garage for abour 2 months now. My mate (owner of a Garage) text me to say he could fit them today. Only Issue was I was at work. So I left the car at home, used my old mans car and he come and collected it and took it to his garage. I also asked him whilst it was on the ramps to rehang the exhaust as it was knocking on the rear Anti Roll Bar.

I supplied some 5.1 Fluid too

31945a2ab55311e281d622000a1f975c_7.jpg

He managed to hang the exhaust better, so now it doesn't knock on occasion. It is slightly melting my rear bumper underneath, so will have to watch that, but thats much better now :)

Im not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but I had a very annoying heatshield rattle. Luckily he found this, whilst it was up on the ramps with no wheels on. It was a loose heatshield near the front driveshaft. Thats been nipped up and all is good!

So a very productive day for him. No pics of the install. so you'll have to trust me.

Now I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. I honestly didnt expected much from changing the lines and fluid. If I am honest, I wasn't confident at all with the stock brakes. Id read on forums to go with Upgraded lines, 5.1 Fluid and DS2500 Pads and its amazing. I was skeptical. I was adament that in the future, I would ugrade to 328mm 4 Pots, with 2 piece belled discs, but its alot of cash. I also have nearly new EBC Red Stuff pads, which whilst dont appear to have the best rep, Ive been impressed with in the past on other cars. Anyway. I have limited experience in the car since everythings been done, but pedal feel has been greatly improved, and the car does stop much better! Im very impressed from this simple sub £100 mod, to a significant part of the car. Some of it may be exaggerated due to the fact I expected naff all, but I definately have more confidence in the car! Certainly recommend the upgrade!

I've added a new sticker and gave it a polish and wax (using Auto Finesse Products), oh and the Towing eye has gone ;)

d5bce556adc711e2bc2222000a1f98f9_7.jpg

12739096af1a11e29deb22000a1f9355_7.jpgp

I'll get some better pics of the whole car. All thats left now is a front end respray to get rid off a few scuffs and stone chips. I should get my bonus on 17th May (work announce profits on Wednesday, fingers crossed) and Ive been quoted £500 to sort it all out so will be mint then.

Now In terms of mods, I think thats its then. I honestly think I've made the car Honda should have, without going mental. Im sure some wont like the engine bay bling, or the odd sticker, but I honestly feel I've made the best out of an already decent hot hatch, The Lack of steering feel, and the whole marmite that is vtec is still there. But Im not sure what I can do with that.

Fresh Toyo T1rS all round and all of the suspension modifications and Fast Road Set Up have certainly made the car handle much better. The rear is more planted, the front turns in sharper, and there seems to be more confidence in the corners. The 30mm drop and spacers have made the car look better from an aestetics point of view

The Power has been increased without going mad. The sound from the filter and exhaust are great when hooning, and the car still has the CAT for MOT Purposes. The Hondata ECU Upgrade has transformed the car, and even turned some VTEC haters I know! It comes in lower, and revs higher. I dont need to wax lyrical about the Hondata, as Im sure Ive done that enough, Overall, genuine power increases of around 20bhp and 20lbs of torque have been achieved, with alot more in the midrange where it was needed.

Finally, the car now stops better thanks to the Discs/Pads/Lines/Fluid.

When its had the minor scrape at the front sorted, I will hopefully have a Mint, well modified, late example of one of the best hot hatches of its era.

I think anything else I do is just going to ruin it, or be modifying for the sake of it. So what next :|

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
How much would this set for if you where selling ?

No idea TBH.

Id return it to standard and out it up for about £5500 I guess, but Id get the front end resprayed and the wheels refurbed again too to get that. I'd then try get £1kish for the mods.

This ones similar to mine in terms of age/mileage.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-r/honda-civic-type-r-premier-edition/1583157

No new mods on mine, all IVe done is fitted a brand new rear caliper and pads as one was sticking and causing alot of unnecessary wear to the pad. Oh and Its having fresh Oil and filter on Sunday.

225 meg
Just asking because after the meg I've been thing about going jap and yours is superb sir ;)

My brother has been in the jap scene for a while now and has always says to me to get something, I thought his old EP3 was awesome and I kinda fell in love with the vtec, he had a straight through buddy club exhaust with the rear box silencer removed and an induction setup on it too, bit too loud for driving at 30mph but saying that once under beans and in vtec it sounded awesome :race:

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Just asking because after the meg I've been thing about going jap and yours is superb sir ;)

My brother has been in the jap scene for a while now and has always says to me to get something, I thought his old EP3 was awesome and I kinda fell in love with the vtec, he had a straight through buddy club exhaust with the rear box silencer removed and an induction setup on it too, bit too loud for driving at 30mph but saying that once under beans and in vtec it sounded awesome :race:

I agree with everything you've said, but I do prefer Boost must be honest :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
ALOT of my pals have these now, at least 5/6 of them. However, they all have alot older ones, Pre facelifts.

You could argue theirs arent in as good condition as more, have more miles or look as nice (I have friends who prefer the pre facelift). However, they have the same amount of performance for like £3k as opposed £5500-6000 Ive paid for the privilidge of the Premier Edition.

My mate picked up a nice 52 Plate Satin silver one for £2700. Stuck an exhaust, Filter and a K pro on and he has a very capable car for £3700.........Food for thought.

Range Rover Sport
One of my favourite cars 'Bang For Buck'.

Easily tunable, very reliable and cheap to run.

Very nice car you have yourself!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I also have got a facelifted one now (for less than your mate paid for his pre-facelift :eek:) still trying to gel with it mind!

I have read about brakes mind and ordered the above from G172!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
That towing eye just no...Hondata stickers no.....Everything else is lovely,if it was mine i wouldnt want people to know what was done,just pull away instead..Nice car.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Brakes are toss arnt they? Got to be honest I don't miss mine at all

My front discs have a big enough lip to count as "dished" so a bit unfair to compare them to my last car weighing well under a ton with a race setup lol!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Brakes aren't the best, The Lines/Fluid/Pads do improve it a lot. However, I drive my mates RS a fair amount, which has 365mm Alcon 6 Pots so maybe Im used to that.

I would like Stoptechs, mainly cause they looking fookin epic.

In 2 minds about this. Might sink a bit more into it. Charge it and put some Brakes on it. I dont know. Its just so nice to own at the moment. Its recently taxxed/MOT'd/Serviced, has got decent rubber. Its not really that expensive to run, even for long journeys. It feels very tight to drive now. I compare it to a a 60k 182, and its just so much more solid. Wether thats the build quality or the seating position or a combo of the two or maybe Im really feeling the advantage of the FRSU/New Bushes/JDM Anti Roll Bar/Spring set up I dont know, but at 60k my Clio felt very loose and in comparison, this feels brand new? Hard to explain I guess.

I dont know what Id gain swapping. Im pretty much decided on either a 2008 S3 or a mk 5 R32. Unless I get moved with work to which I'll need a diesel and I'll try and negotiate some extra cash and lease a Mercedes CLA Diesel (AMG pack).

Anyone else seem CTR's are expensive to insure in comparison to comparable cars? or is it just me?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I thought insurance is pretty reasonable tbh, mine with is 550ish

Me 27, 5years ncb no points claims etc and the missus named on it 23, 3years driving and an accident at fault!