ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Inferno Story...

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
So I've had a reply form Alex and he has been poorly all last week and struggled with it the week before also hence the lack of replies form himself.
He's requested I give him a a date over the next 3 weeks so i can drop the car down to him (y)

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
So I have a date to drop to the car down, Friday 1st April… It should be with Alex a week then it’s time to run it in, 1000 miles!
I recommend the Knead food -blue egg for some lunch. It’s at the farm site entrance.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
UPDATE FROM ALEX TODAY…

Hi Ollie,
Sorry for delay, the crankshaft I had initially chosen for your engine I rejected as it wasn’t perfect, meant I had to wait for another crank back from the machine shop, as it’s been polished for a perfect finish.
Anyhow, now we have a complete bottom end;
image0.jpeg

Polished crank, PEC forged conrods, ARP conrod bolts, genuine Renault big end & main bearings, new genuine Renault oil jets.
image1.jpeg

Wossner forged pistons, 9.5.1CR, 83mm 😎
image2.jpeg

Complete bottom end minus a few trinkets, genuine Renault oil pump & painted sump on, genuine Renault water pump, keywayed bottom crank pulley, with plated bolts throughout 😎
Head is progressing, had a machine break so only got about half way through that but will have that complete & fitted by end of week along with cambelt etc, leaving the final bits to be swapped from your old engine once we have it out.

Any preference for cam cover etc colour? Ideally black or silver! Contrasting inlet normally works well.

Many thanks, Alex
AW Motorworks Ltd

So I have chosen a black cam cover to match the block as I have a anthracite inlet which matches the turinis and bullets. Also I have requested a oil cooler setup quote as I don’t want to be hurting the new engine.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Had the car out of the garage to day to have a little tinker with it in preparation for taking it to Alex and just to let it see some sun!
I’d stated in previous posts that the rear scrubbed a little since I put the stub axel spacers on. I raised the rear end of the car up a few mm so hopefully it won’t catch anymore and if it does it’ll only be on big bumps.
Gave it a dust off too and checked the pressures and fluids.
I just want my new engine 😢
1121958C-C93D-4780-9CCB-12700B5795E7.jpeg

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
It was supposed to be soooooo easy!!
Just take out the broken clip,
Draw back the new one,
Tell the wife I’d fixed it,
Grab the light and fit it!! 😂
4FC95732-8F42-4A6E-B675-E5F5B06772F9.jpeg

Pieces of the old one, I can’t believe how brittle it was! I ended up using a set of picks to get the ball out.
DDEA482B-AFF8-480B-AB41-730474BC298E.jpeg

New one fitted…
1ADF881C-CB36-47F6-AF58-8E326FF56E33.jpeg

With the nearside all fixed, I thought I’d check the offside which seemed a little wobbly.
The adjuster was ok, it was the locator at the top in the middle was unseated. I managed to get it re-attached an was chuffed as it’d only took 25/30mins to sort them both with no real issues.
Until I gave it one last check at which point it decided to crumble & snapped off! 🤦🏻‍♂️
C74E185C-090C-420E-A50B-A7D019FE3156.jpeg

So now I need to either split the headlight and glue it all or get another grey insert.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Dropped the car down with Alex at AW Motorworks this morning after 2hrs, 85miles and a respectable 42.1mpg drive.
We discussed the works to be carried out which not only include fitting the new forged engine but replacing a slightly bent gear linkage, straightening the exhaust back box tips and realigning to stop it sagging at the down pipe.
I supplied him with a full cambelt kit with dephaser & water pump which I originally purchased for my bg plus 2x magnetic sump plugs, One for the engine and one for gearbox.
Finally we discussed fitting a oil cooler also after I’d received advice not to use a 2nd hand one. Now the wait begins again, hopefully it’ll be ready late next week or early the following week.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped the car down with Alex at AW Motorworks this morning after 2hrs, 85miles and a respectable 42.1mpg drive.
We discussed the works to be carried out which not only include fitting the new forged engine but replacing a slightly bent gear linkage, straightening the exhaust back box tips and realigning to stop it sagging at the down pipe.
I supplied him with a full cambelt kit with dephaser & water pump which I originally purchased for my bg plus 2x magnetic sump plugs, One for the engine and one for gearbox.
Finally we discussed fitting a oil cooler also after I’d received advice not to use a 2nd hand one. Now the wait begins again, hopefully it’ll be ready late next week or early the following week.
Good things are coming fella. :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent. It will 100% be the car you want it to be after Alex has finished with it.
In a year or so when you think of selling just remember how silly it was selling the Monaco and keep this tucked away in the garage instead!

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Excellent. It will 100% be the car you want it to be after Alex has finished with it.
In a year or so when you think of selling just remember how silly it was selling the Monaco and keep this tucked away in the garage instead!
Indeed I do regret selling the Monaco as I can imagine how it would be now had I kept hold of it! 😢
Saying that though this Inferno is far from where I want it to be. I’d like to do a full suspension refresh plus supporting mods.
Plus brakes after seeing @frayz new setup!
Then seats and steering wheel! The list is endless but I least I know the engine will be solid!! Oh and can’t forget a gearbox build with diff… 😆 💷💷💷💷💷💷

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
😂😂 I'm considering swapping back to standard brakes on mine but my brembo setup is for 300mm discs. You're already balls deep with the new engine so may as well start planning the next mods.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
😂😂 I'm considering swapping back to standard brakes on mine but my brembo setup is for 300mm discs. You're already balls deep with the new engine so may as well start planning the next mods.
Shave 5mm off, different bracket I’ll make them fit haha I’m always planning the next mod but I think it may slow down a bit as her indoors wants to move house!
I only agreed for a double garage though 😁

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
😂 If you're moving you may as well make it worth the hassle. I did machine the calipers down for 280 discs and then made custom brackets so they'd fit 300mm ones. and then sold all the 280 brackets I made🤦‍♂️. Cup turinis are the best wheels for a clio anyway. FACT!

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
UPDATE FROM ALEX… 6/4/22

Hey Ollie,

Head on etc, looking more complete.
image0.jpeg

Then onto ripping out the old one!
image1.jpeg

I’ve sorted boost pipe.
Plenty of other bits to sort along the way!

Got a bit delayed with previous car, but yours will be complete by end of week hopefully! Leaves us a bit of time to ensure all is well.

Update again by end of week.

Many thanks, Alex

AW Motorworks Ltd

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
SIT REP… 7/4/22
6809D706-5910-49C5-8F0B-40E854356D9A.jpeg

Turbo blanket = f**ked. Rubbed on bulkhead due to incorrect heatshield fitment. Kinda nice thing to have but not an absolute must, most turbo clios don’t have.

F3E7C23C-1689-454E-9681-BABFC50183DB.jpeg

Downpipe nuts etc come loose
Inconel studs & locking nuts are a good fix for this, we can sort. Obviously been blowing and at joint further back but I’ll sort that.

688AC8EF-D9DD-4A13-936E-46BA0C223783.jpeg

Evol dogbone mount ruined as always, they’re s#!te I’d recommend going Powerflex in oem mount.

C5521E9F-3ADA-479A-AC73-D30E8780EFF7.jpeg

No AC gas, condenser quite rotten.

754F3D49-9380-473A-BE8A-3B17D0D007C4.jpeg

Coolant radiator, rotten at bottom (Condenser not secure), smiling at us with its rotten-ness.

5AEDFFCB-3F02-4992-AC6A-4EFCBF9C1E6E.jpeg

Otherwise it’s out & being stripped & parts transferred across to new lump.

So all the above is snippets from Alex on WhatsApp who has been awesome throughout this so far! We’ve decided the turbo blanket will be dropped for now as it’s only a nice to have and can be put back at a later date. I’ve given him the go ahead for the inconel studs and lock nuts to stop it coming loose again.
The dog bone mount will come back as is for now and I will either replace the Evol rubber inserts with new or as Alex suggested use an oem mount & Powerflex inserts.
I’ve also agreed to have both new coolant radiator and ac condenser/driers fitted to stop any issues in the future along with an oil cooler and sandwhich plate with take offs for temp and pressure at a later date.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Update from Alex… 8/4/22

A minor point to consider in future is coolant hoses. That oil breathing onto both the top & bottom hose hasn’t done them any favours.
961D8378-709F-4EC9-B1C1-6BF08C025CD9.jpeg

Sorted this s storm, inconel studs and new lock nuts. Engine back in, connecting up as we speak. New coolant pipes onto turbo.
Oil cooler will be done early next week.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
UPDATE… 11/4/22

No more horrid ultra sonic mega boom dv as Alex has replaced it with a straight pipe for me so have some nice flutter again.
I’ll have to get some crackle effect paint for it to match the other pipes.
0966AB15-961B-49DA-924B-98B91DEA5364.jpeg

Nice new mocal oil cooler with 2x 1/8npt take offs for future gauge installs.
6F122080-1D1A-40B1-8B65-330B848FCE9E.jpeg
D65AF8EE-BFB1-4179-AF68-361AE2951340.jpeg

I’m think Spa twin oil temp/pressure gauge and obviously boost gauge! 😂 For all 7psi!!
Maybe now it’s forged it’s can be turned up? 😬

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't knock the updates from him, good commms there.
Absolutely! Can’t fault the guy once he’d got the car there and we’d switched from email to WhatsApp updates.

Alex sent me further updates later this evening too.
5D1A46C7-F316-4A58-A6D4-71796E1D54B3.jpeg
AE86B8E8-7E89-4351-83A2-2377B5EE980A.jpeg

Just a couple little more jobs to do and then a shakedown run to make sure all is good.
Collection Friday hopefully!

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
You could probably drop the pipe off at Rolling Rims in dunmow for a cash job being local/Dunmow based perhaps. Satin black would be in keeping 👌🏼

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Absolutely! Can’t fault the guy once he’d got the car there and we’d switched from email to WhatsApp updates.

Alex sent me further updates later this evening too.
View attachment 1588185View attachment 1588186

Just a couple little more jobs to do and then a shakedown run to make sure all is good.
Collection Friday hopefully!

Like all Alex's work looks so clean.

Look forward to the updates with it all up and running.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I know but I’ve not been able to find who stocks them.
I bought one of these from Renault for the BG - https://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/cooling-heating-parts/renault-clio-expansion-bottle-mk2/ Paid £55 for it after discount. Old cap doesn't fit.

Then bought another for my RB but from Ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16323132...CvYy0LyA3F5IoM83OOgFmcuJMA==|tkp:BFBMmKq8hoVg

Paid £22 for it and it's identical to the one Renault sold me. Mugged off, lesson learned.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Like all Alex's work looks so clean.

Look forward to the updates with it all up and running.
Can’t wait to get it back!! But it’ll be slow run in progress as I’m only home for a few days before going away for 3 weeks! 😢

I’ve yet to see a quality one, I’m sure the old one could potentially be cleaned to some degree 🤷🏻‍♂️

In my excitement to get the car back I’ve got together some parts I’ve been gathering.
One of the rarest parts!! The screw in cover for the undertray! 😱
11E79268-7CD5-4E14-B10A-3874E26A5EDA.jpeg

The plan is to trim the back of the cover and then respray inferno coloured which will then contrast the inlet.