ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Looks really good mate. Not a fan of the headlight trumpet tho tbh

the trumpet was put there as i was going to buy and fit an airbox like the one you have and then the cold feed would go directly to the headlight

but i didnt get the time or funds to buy one before the trackday, plus i'm now not sure if the pipercross box will fit under my bonnet :S

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
it should fit ok if your filter does, we were going to run one on our white 205 but it doesnt clear the power steering, so it is redundant till it goes on ebay, but dimension wise where it replaces the filter it took up less room than the filter does

few more pics, some of when we got the car back to the garage after the trackday, plenty of dead flies and the coolant leak on show lol (found out what was causing the leak, very simple fix, for once!)

on the trailer, nearly home

IMG_0544.jpg

track wheels still on, need to get them painted up at some point

IMG_0553.jpg

plenty of flies to clean off

IMG_0548.jpg

and then on sat it was time to take the gearbox off ready to send off for it's rebuild, was very hot in the garage!

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

subframe off

IMG_0586.jpg

gearbox out

IMG_0591.jpg

and it's now at Agency transmissions in Worcester thanks to Gray and Luke (The Boosh), thanks again guys :D

The casings can differ slightly dependant on their history - weather it was a service exhange box in the past or manufactured at a different time... The 2008 JB3 (Renault Service Exhange) ive got has got a slightly different casing to the one that came on my valver (1996)...

But oddly the 2008 box has got 1991 stamped on the casing - Pikey Renault re-using the casings lol.

right, my gearbox is done and is getting collected by Luke and Gray tomorrow

had a phonecall from Agency transmissions as there were a few problems to overcome lol

basically he said that after 40 years rebuilding gearboxes, he has never seen anything like it! one of the shafts had around 1mm of play in it against the bearings, too much for it to have been created through wear, rather someone had rebuilt he gearbox previously and used incorrect parts! he was surprised it had lasted this long!

I have to say the guy is an absoulute legend, he reeled off a list of things that he has had to replace to rectify the problems (bearings, shaft, gearset, seals, pinion, crown wheel to name just a few) and has done all this in the 2 days he has had it (along with rebuilding Gray's box that was alot more straight forward)

he even spotted that the reverse switch plastic clip had snapped (been like that for ages now) and replaced that too

after all this i was bracing myself for a big bill, but no, only £50 extra over the standard £275 +vat that he had quoted me originally! :approve:

got to say a big thank you to Tony and Jay for recommending them, and a big thank you to Gray and Luke for taking my box down with them and bringing it back tomorrow, top guys :D

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Gray was telling me the guys were having a right rant at him about your box LOL!

When my clutch is due I'm getting the box serviced their just for piece of mind whilst it's out. And at that price it wouldn't make any sense not too whilst it's off!

Gray was telling me the guys were having a right rant at him about your box LOL!

When my clutch is due I'm getting the box serviced their just for piece of mind whilst it's out. And at that price it wouldn't make any sense not too whilst it's off!

pmsl it's not my fault, i bought it like that :eek:

yeh makes sense for them to take a look at it while it's off off, especially with the jc5's reputation

172 Race Car
He has shown me his box of horrors (parts from all the CS members JC5's he has rebuilt) Some gems in there

340i
LOL... he has left some of the "dead" parts in your plastic box...

cannot fault their service at all... our boxes look brand new, fully degreased and cleaned up!

all my bearing, seals etc. replaced and the circlip housing modified!

I cannot recommend these guys enough, thanks for the tip Tony / Jay

I was also shown the box of horrors aswell LOL! some treats in there... and 2 Saab gearboxes that where literally smashed to pieces haha

haha awesome, i'm gonna pick it up from Luke's tomorrow night as i'm training tonight so can't make it down

cleaned them up too! this is a brilliant service at an amazing price, i am super impressed!

couple of pics and drive by vids from FCS

got to say i was less than impressed with the tracktime, on my second session i backed off on every lap whilst going round the banking so that i had a fairly clear run at the twisty bit, all because people weren't moving over :( also, on my last session my brother counted 28 other cars on track, i mean come on! that's just a recipe for disaster!

rockingham038.jpg

rockingham044.jpg

rockingham045.jpg

rockingham046.jpg

rockingham047.jpg

th_good2.jpg

th_good1.jpg

th_good3.jpg

i need to check my in car camera too to see if i got any footage

lol no problem Lee, i always bring plenty of tools just in case :D

and sorry for not realising who you were mate, when you walked back over to the racer i realised......'ah it's Lee with the cup racer!'

i wanted a snoop around (and a passenger lap :eek:) but got caught up doing other things :(

I spent all day in the pit garage as did the car

all day pass on track, didn't even see the rest of the show!

Looked good on track - good job you couldnt do the Monday with us, think it was jynxed as we all had problems lol!

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
lol no problem Lee, i always bring plenty of tools just in case :D

and sorry for not realising who you were mate, when you walked back over to the racer i realised......'ah it's Lee with the cup racer!'

i wanted a snoop around (and a passenger lap :eek:) but got caught up doing other things :(

thats cool mate theres no reason why you would recognise me lol, all my gear i.e van, trailer and gear was over in car park i didnt realise we could park in the inner paddock. well next time i'm out il try and remeber to let you know and a passenger ride is all yours.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
:eek:

saw this car buzzing around the track.. had no idea it was you!! :eek: - not seen the decals before

looked good :approve:

cheers foxy and matteh :D

Lee - i'll hold you to that! never been out in a mk2 cup car, but want to badly!

checked my in car cam, not recorded a single thing, was having issues with pressing buttons and what not, will get it right next time :rolleyes:

i have this very minute made a rather expensive purchase too, should be with me tomorrow :D

BMW M5 & E36
Brand new, crikey. Good find! I ran with slicks for the first time on Monday, a 2nd hand set of Dunlops around Rockingham, but they were superb!

Staying on those wheels or something else?

i found a supplier aswell for brand new S9B's, they aren't cheap mind! :eek:

hopefully if i can sell the alloys they will be going on a set of williams speedlines i bought at FCS

cheers pal

ran michelin pe2's all day and neither they or my driving ability were doing the car justice! roffle

only my second track day, so once i get some sticky rubber and get used to the car it will be alot better

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
arh so u bought them wheels & tires - they have been for sale for ages - u have too much money mate ;)

arh so u bought them wheels & tires - they have been for sale for ages - u have too much money mate ;)

yeh i eventually forked out for them, he has had them advertised at three different prices, and i wasn't keen on any of them! lol

then someone on sunday let him down and so he offered a price i was happy with

i could do with selling the alloys as i have too many sets now! time for a wall storage rack i think! :clown:

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
eye i offered to buy just the tires but he wasnt having it - good buy though mate. U should be pleased with that one.

Would be intrested to see what new S9's feel like to the old almost unusable S9's we used to buy.

originally he had the tyres removed from the alloys and i had arranged a price with him for the tyres alone, then another buyer wanted the lot, so he went and got them fitted and balanced, then that buyer didn't turn up

in the end i think he had enough and just agreed on a price to seal the deal

i'm still shocked at the price of them new! i can get pretty much any other size for less than the price of a 15"

be that 16, 17, 18's even :eek:

not really anything significant to update

sent the walbro fuel pump off for testing today after the issues on track at FCS, if they send it back and say it's fine i need to investigate the loss of power at high revs more :S

also purchased more tyres :clown:

i now have too many wheels, trying to sell some to make room but not having much luck, and i begrudge letting stuff go too cheap (done that too many times already just to free up space)

hopefully fuel pump will be back in a few weeks, no way of testing it before the next track day so will just have to keep my fingers crossed, or drive all day below 6500rpm ish :dapprove: